White Mountain Winter Shelters?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
I am looking for the easiest access to a winter shelter on the last weekend in March that would afford me the opportunity to bag at least one 4000 footer. I realize we will not know the weather conditions for another week or so, however, I would assume cramptons (hoping no need for snowshoes).

Any suggestions would be great? :)

Check out the Randolph Mtn Club's shelters in the northern Pres. All are excellent but Gray Knob is particularly well used in winter as it has minimal wood heat. Any of these shelters will have you well placed for an Adams visit as well as Madison and/or Jefferson depending on how big of a summit day you want. RMC shelters are self-serve, no reservation, and a fee of about $10-$12 per person per night.

Lonesome Lake and Carter Notch huts (AMC) can put you in striking distance of Cannon and Kinsmen or Carter Dome and Wildcat A, respectively. These are also self-serve this time of year but are reservable and more expensive than RMC.

For simple lean-to shelters, Kinsman Pond is handy to the Kinsmen and there is a lean-to partway up the Beaver Brook Trail on Moosilauke. They'd be free until Summer.

As for ease of access, Lonesome Lake is usually the easiest, followed by Carter Notch, then Gray Knob, but ymmv.

-vegematic

Last edited:
rainman19 said:
Any campsites on between Wiley andTom?

There are places you could tent, but no shelters.

It's almost certain you will need snowshoes in late March this year (unless you like postholing in waist deep snow :eek: )

Of course a standard response -- and one of the easier shelters to get to -- is Hermit Lake on Mount Washington.

It brings it's whole load of baggage, especially at this time of year, but it certainly qualifies as easy access to both shelter and four-thousand footers. The Tuckerman Ravine area is a real unique place in the early spring; maybe you like it, maybe not at this time, or maybe just not on the weekends.

Depending on your definition of easy, there's also Imp Shelter across the street. The rise from there to North Carter is entertaining (with one challenging section that may have a winter bonus). The views are everything they say, including the incredible Wild River Valley to the east.

I'll let others describe what may be on the Rocky Branch Trail, but that may be another option.

I'd agree on the snowshoes, especially this year.

Rocky Branch #2

Rocky Branch #2 is an easy hike over the ridge from Rt. 16, then it's also an easy trip to Isolation from there.

hancocks

I am thinking hancocks from the Kang highway. worried about the stream crossings. thoughts. also, is snowshoes a must?

Check recent Trail Conditions and Trip Reports. I'm pretty sure there's something in there. It's one of this site's most valuable features. http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21215

Snowshoes: I haven't been north since the big March 1 dump, but I'd be pretty shocked if there's any bare ground up there at all, straight through mid-April at least. And in the Pemi or Pressies, my guess is NO WAY you leave the snowshoes behind. Again, check recent data.

It's also a good idea to start checking the flow rates (and know recent rain figures) for the rivers you'll be crossing, especially if you do the Hancocks. Some of them are opening up and that's a big factor. That would be another nod for the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, which is bridged for the most part. The stream URLs are here somewhere. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?01054200

By the way, you know there are no lean-to shelters on the Hancocks routes, right?

Last edited:
Guyot Shelter

Guyot Shelter is a great place, but it is way in there, and probably too much snow. If you did a car spot at Lincoln Woods, it is possible to bag several peaks Galehead, South and North Twin, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff. But, you have to start in on the Gale River Trail and it is a long way to Guyot from there. I did it in the winter, but it wasn't a heavy snow year. We started around 6 a.m. on the Gale River Trail and got to Guyot Shelter about 6:30 p.m. Went out the next day after doing all the Bonds and got back to the car in Lincoln Woods in the late afternoon. This year this is probably way to much of an undertaking after all the snow that has been dumped! :eek:

Maybe not the easiest,but another possibility is the cabin on Mt. Cabot.
Other than the AMC huts,your options are "unheated" and it's probably just as easy to base camp and do a 4K.

bogorchis said:
Guyot Shelter is a great place, but it is way in there, and probably too much snow. If you did a car spot at Lincoln Woods, it is possible to bag several peaks Galehead, South and North Twin, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff. But, you have to start in on the Gale River Trail and it is a long way to Guyot from there. I did it in the winter, but it wasn't a heavy snow year. We started around 6 a.m. on the Gale River Trail and got to Guyot Shelter about 6:30 p.m. Went out the next day after doing all the Bonds and got back to the car in Lincoln Woods in the late afternoon. This year this is probably way to much of an undertaking after all the snow that has been dumped! :eek:
No offense but from reading rainmans post, I wouldnt suggest the Bonds for him at this point, that might be a little much. Rainman consider Carter notch hut, it would meet all your needs and its a safe route.

Sierra, I appreciate the concern

But I have done the bonds several times. It is my favorite place in the whites. I am an experienced backpacker, done about 30 of the peaks (many night entries).

However, I am not an experienced winter backpacker. I have done one trip - the mount hight, and the carters. The experience left me with the the concern for time and stream crossings. I will bring snowshoes if I have to, however, I would prefer to find a well traveled trail to avoid it. That said, if you were choosing between the hancocks and (tom, field, willey) what would you do?

rainman19 said:
I will bring snowshoes if I have to, however, I would prefer to find a well traveled trail to avoid it. That said, if you were choosing between the hancocks and (tom, field, willey) what would you do?
I'd bring snowshoes, no matter where I was going. :) No matter how well traveled a trail you choose, conditions can change, you can end up off trail, and for camping you will end up off trail. Bring them.

For backpacking I wouldn't choose either place. What appeals to you about those? If you're looking for a shelter (as you said in your OP) neither of those places have any shelter.

David Metsky said:
I'd bring snowshoes, no matter where I was going. :) No matter how well traveled a trail you choose, conditions can change, you can end up off trail, and for camping you will end up off trail. Bring them.
Second the suggestion, particularly for an overnight. If it snows, you can be trapped. Also trails can be hard enough to bareboot in the morning and soften to posthole city by afternoon.

Snowshoes are also a big help in leveling and packing a tenting pad in the snow.

Also, winter backpacking loads tend to be pretty heavy and there are a number of little details that can make a big difference. For your first time or two, I suggest staying fairly close to the road (or go with an instructor/experienced individual).

Doug

Last edited:
For backpacking I wouldn't choose either place. What appeals to you about those? If you're looking for a shelter (as you said in your OP) neither of those places have any shelter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave, I am not looking for a shelter, the purpose behind my original post was simply to have a little more comfort if possible. I choose these places because I wanted to knock them off the list.

Why not either location?

Guyot Shelter in Winter?

So what's it like up there in the winter? Is it true the H2O is year 'round? And if the approach was from the Zealand Rd. side, would there be water crossings that are on the verge of becoming impossible?

I am aware of the logging operations and the somewhat longer approach from 302.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Zealand Road

I believe the road is closed for the winter, but you could walk it. Not sure about water source in the winter.

rainman19 said:
Thanks Dave, I am not looking for a shelter, the purpose behind my original post was simply to have a little more comfort if possible. I choose these places because I wanted to knock them off the list.

Why not either location?
I don't find either of them all that interesting for an overnight. I find the summits of all those peaks rather boring and I'm not list bagging. They're much more appealing as a dayhike to me.

Let me add to the chorus ... let me add to Dave and Doug in recommending snowshoes. I found conditions this past weekend to very well packed between the normal packing on trails and the previous mixtures of snow with sleet and rain. However, there was much evidence of postholing both on the trail and off, and I mean postholes that were well above the knees and, at least for some, nearly hip deep.

Off trail we tracked moose postholes which caused me to wonder why, like antlers that are eventually shed, moose hadn't evolved to grow snowshoes in the winter ... but I digress ...

If backpacking without a destination shelter is acceptable, then perhaps Franconia Ridge may be of interest. There was a winter campsite not too far from Greenleaf Hut but maybe someone else can chime in as to whether it's still there. That could be combined with a second night at Liberty tentsite (conditions?).