WHITE MTS- Easy hike with a view?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

Reaction score
I will be in the White Mts. for the first time in early August. I have a daughter who is not very fond of the hiking experience, and was hoping to find an easy enough hike to be tolerable for a novice, yet with a nice view of the Presidential Range. By easy I mean about 3-3½ miles or less total, and no more than maybe 1000 feet of ascent.
If any of you White Mountain hikers could tell me if such a hike exists, I would be really appreciative. We will be staying in Madison.

Thanks and Happy Trails, Sully

Try Mt Willard near the Highland Center. Excellent views with little effort required. A real nice hike for a novice. Enjoy the trip wherever you go.

Don :cool:

I second, Mt. Willard - near the Highland Center on 302. Park at the Depot, the trail goes into the woods and crosses the tracks.

I can't think of a better view, for the little effort.

Easy

My favorite that meets your criteria is the Sugarloafs at the northwest end of Crawford Notch. Take Rte. 302 west past the Mount Washington Hotel and watch for Zealand Road on the left. Just after the campgrounds there is a parking area. Cross the bridge and you will see the Trestle Trail on your right. About a 10th of a mile in the Sugarloaf Trail breaks off left. A mile or so in the trail comes to a tee. Either direction comes to a small peak with excellent views of the Presis, (when they're visible). To get to both summits is 3.4 miles and 1000' of elevation gain. When you descend there are places along the river to cool off.

KDT

I'd also suggest Black Cap from Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway - a bit more gradual than Willard, and the upper half is ledgy...views in all directions (albeit from different points near the summit), whereas Willard doesn't have anything looking west.

Middle Mountain (a bit south of Black Cap in the Green Hills Range) also has some nice views, though it's a bit longer, steeper, and more vertical.

Another REAL easy hike with very cool views (albeit without the views of the Presidential range) is Bald mountain/Artists bluff. WONDERFUL views of Franconia Ridge and Cannon:
2043693587_c72f7a37e5.jpg

Another goodie that DOES have views of the Crawford Notch/Presidentials is Frankenstein Cliffs:
1765974132_fecda7b6fb.jpg

Brian

Willard and Sugarloaf are both relatively easy with great views. IMO, if you are to do one of the Sugarloaf peaks, I'm partial to middle Sugarloaf.

There are some moderately steep areas on Sugarloaf for about 1/4 mile or so, but nothing horrible.

Willard, Middle Sugarloaf & Bald Cap all are great little hikes with great views. I prefer the Middle Sugarloaf view

Owl's Head (On Mt. Martha) may have the best view of Presidentials but is a bit more work than the other three. Lowe's Bald Spot from the Auto Road (can you park there where the AT crosses the road?) would also be good.

You could also drive or ride up to the top of Washington & wander around also....

Thanks so much!

Thanks very much to all of you folks that responded. I now have many excellent hikes to choose from. They all sound great, I'll have to figure out which one(s) we will do. We've done a handful of ADK High Peaks, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Whites are like. I appreciate your help everyone, thanks again. :) Sully

Just to be different, I suggest Pine Mt. in Gorham, which has a great view of one of the biggest drops in the east on Mt. Madison. I suggest going there from Pinkham B Road, parking at the driveway for the Horton Center, and walking up the dirt road to a trail on the right. From there it is a short and slightly steep trail to grand view. Then walk over to the view with the cross, and back down the road. All in AMC Guide.

Mike P. said:
Lowe's Bald Spot from the Auto Road (can you park there where the AT crosses the road?) would also be good.

You could also drive or ride up to the top of Washington & wander around also....

From Mt. Washington Auto Road site FAQ's:

Can I park on the Auto Road and hike?
Yes, but please make sure your vehicle is parked in one of the many turnouts along the Auto Road and is not blocking traffic. The Auto Road is narrow in spots and cannot accommodate parked cars. Also, be sure to check with the Toll House about the gate-closing schedule, so you don't get locked in.

I'll second or third the Sugarloaves -- North has the following view of the Presidentials:

Middle is a bit higher, maybe 220 feet or so... don't have the map handy but I do recall doing the math with my son at one point on this trip.

Tim

My mother was very thrilled with her birthday present, a ride on the Wildcat chairlift to the summit. She could not hike any of the preceeding. You can hike around on the summit and enjoy the view from a observation tower.

happy trails :)