Whiteface Auto Road - Does it count

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALGonquin Bob said:
Interesting and brainy discussion here. The Veterans Memorial Highway on Whiteface Mtn. opens for the season in mid-May, around the 3rd weekend. I hiked it on May 11 a few years ago and had the summit all to myself.

Early Season: May 19 - June 29; open 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mid Season: Jun 30 - September 3; open 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Late Season: September 4 - October 8; open 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Skyclimber, I read those dates on the Whiteface site, but I suspect that those are 2007 dates; the highway probably opens this year on Saturday, May 17.

Certainly could wait the before/after hours route but that kind of defeats the whole "meeting the family up top for a picnic lunch" idea. Again, you could "renegade it" and hope that you don't get caught if you're into that sorta thing (I'd recommend against it personally), but the I'd stay off the road while traffic is on it. I've actually driven on it a few times to during the tourist season, and people are ALL OVER THE PLACE on that road between them looking at the views and the "general" touristy, mountain road, nervous/bad driving factor, it's a mess.

If you think a twisted ankle would mess up your hike, try getting struck by a passenger. Not kidding here at all (no smiley at all). I wouldn't be caught anywhere along that road while "tourists" are driving up and down on it.

If you really MUST do the "road route", prolly the easiest way is to register for the WHITEFACE MT. UPHILL FOOTRACE and just run UP and DOWN the sucker. For 35 bucks, you get periodic water stations and a BBQ dinner up top too (families can meet you). Plus, looking at the results from last year, AT LEAST 30 of the participants were at 15 Min/hr (4 MPH), which on an 8% paved grade, is a reasonable "brisk" walk. I'm sure that some participants walk/run down too since not everyone would have a "ride".

Would it count for the 46ers? Don't know. Can't see why not. Would is count for you personally? Sure, why not? It would for me.

And Now for something completely Different....

What about the Whiteface Race? (Really I'd rather jog down 3500 feet & eight miles but so far this year I'm way ahead of any previous year of gym work, I could pick it up another notch or two) Do fans get to get there early & greet you at the top?

I can legally jog (Race ha!) up the road & then switch shoes, add fanny (it's slackpacking ADK style) & then descend towards Esther visit the Esther summit on the way. In actuality, I could probably jog up carrying an empty light fanny pack & if this is like most races, they would be adequate food & water provided that I could take a little extra for the walk down the trail.

Question will remain how to bring a rain jacket & a light fleece + headlamp.

8 miles & 3500 feet sounds easier than Mt. Washington which is slightly shorter at 7.6 miles & 4,650 feet of vertical.

Mike - this thread is great as most don't realize your fleet of foot hiking style!

One thought for you to consider... Whiteface is a great place to finish a 46/115 list for family and others to join you at the top (...you still have to make it down).

Also, the Wilmington Ridge trail ain't all that bad for trail jogging. ;)

I don't know about fleet but I'll start early. For 115 I'm leaning at Nippletop, it's about the best view I have left that is not on a herd path. By the time I finish teh kids should be old enough to make it. I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3 done a year & I have 18 left.