Wildcat Ridge Trail tomorrow - too slick?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Nine of us (2 adults and the rest teenagers 13 to 17) are heading to Carter Notch Hut tomorrow. We planned on the Wildcat Ridge Trail as we need A and D peaks (#'s 39 and 40 for most of us). With rain in the forecast and a trail description that says the ledges can be dangerous when wet I was wondering if I should head up Nineteen Mile trail instead if it is raining in the morning, drop some of our gear at the hut, and then head out to bag Wildcat A and D. I have never been on these trails before but believe most of the ledges occur on the way to E peak and would be avoided by taking 19 Mile. I would prefer to take Wildcat Ridge but believe in safety first - especially when I have the repsonsibilty of other's kids. Would appreciate any input from those familiar with Wildcat Ridge. I don't have my guide with me at work so any idea what "book time" would be from the hut to D peak and back would be? Thanks, Dragonfly

Thanks 7Summits. You're much braver than I am to be on that trail in winter conditions. What part of the trail were those pictures from? I assume the ascent to E peak. Is there anything like those cliffs between D peak and the hut?

Coming up from 19 mile from the hut you will not have the same exposure but it is a steep climb that works up the sides of a slide area. It will be muddy and slick. It might be safer in terms of how far you can fall than the ridge but I prefer the solid footing of the the ridge trail. Either way it will be slick and hairy as you descend back to the hut. (If it is raining). Not my favorite trail due to the muddy slickness. I have had to basically slide down on my butt in rainy weather. Your experience may differ but I think that descending to the hut is the most dangerous part of this hike.

Dragonfly said:
...What part of the trail were those pictures from? I assume the ascent to E peak. Is there anything like those cliffs between D peak and the hut?

That was the very beginning part of Wildcat Ridge, heading to E. We took Lost Pond Tr to Wildcat Ridge Tr and descend via 19 mi, but has been a while, i cannot remember if there is any more challenge along the hike. Sorry. But I can assure you the 19 mi brook is very enjoyable.

Another option is taking the Polecat Trail from the Wildcat Ski area. It takes you to the Wildcat Ridge Trail right by the summit of Wildcat D. From what I understand, hiking the ski trails is allowed, as Wildcat is in the WMNF.

Not to be mis-construed. Sure 19 mile is a mellow running trail and if you only intend on getting to the hut that is fine, but the ascent and descent from or to Wild Cat A peak is 800 feet of very vertical climbing from the hut. If I were to choose, I would only mess with that particular section of trail once. Marty's suggestion is right on point you can ascend wildcat without going over the ledges. From Wildcat A down to the hut is eroded and not fun in the rain. That is the section that I am warning you about. Really, my butt remembers it well! Booktime for Wildcat ridge to 19 mile is 4 hours to hike 4.9 miles. and 3150 feet.
19 mile brook is 3.6 miles and 1900 feet to reach the wildcat ridge trail, booktime is 2hr50min.. You then have an official climb of 1050 feet up the ridge trail to get the Wildcat peaks. I would add 2 hours to go up and down so you are looking at an extra hour of hiking on an eroded trail at the end of day. That is a recipe for getting someone hurt. At least in my very humble opinion.

marty said:
Another option is taking the Polecat Trail from the Wildcat Ski area. It takes you to the Wildcat Ridge Trail right by the summit of Wildcat D. From what I understand, hiking the ski trails is allowed, as Wildcat is in the WMNF.

Would the Polecat Trail be a good descent option with a full backpack if heading south over the Wildcats? And where can I find info about the trail?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I had not even considered Polecat although I was aware of it. Since we are determined to hit A and D that might make the most sense if it is raining. I understand the ridge trail is steep and rough in spots between D and the hut and we are ready for that. I just did not want to expose people to any ledges/cliffs in wet conditions where they could slip and fall a ways if these areas could be easily avoided. Will the ridge trail be easy to find from Polecat?

Hi - in response to your questions: when I did Polecat, it was steep in places, but footing was good, as you might suspect with a ski trail. I had a light pack on at the time, so it was hard to assess how it would be with a heavy one. It is easy to find the Ridge trail. If you get to the highest chair lift spot, I believe the ridge trail is uphill on the left and there is trail signage. Wildcat D summit is really close to there.

Here is the URL for the map. Wildcat Ski Trail Map. Polecat is on your far left. There is a lower, middle and upper trail. It may be hard to follow it exactly, but if you keep heading up, you can't get too lost.
Marty

I thought the Polecat was an excellent way to descend, really much nicer than some of the other ski-trails. It can be a bit buggy. Avoid Cat-A-Pult which goes down from the picnic tables, that's steep and brushy. One nice thing about Polecat this time of year is on the lower stretches where wild strawberries can be found :)

Doc McPeak said:
It may be tough to stash my bike at the bottom? I'll go give the area a recon on my rest day.

There may be bike racks there if you have a lock (can't remember for sure). If not, there are some heavily wooded areas nearby where you should be able to hide it. Have fun.

Marty

the ledges on wildcat ridge can be tricky. if slippery it would take extra time, but with care i wouldn't consider it dangerous. make sure your pack weights are reasonable and you give extra time. the route is also quite strenuous so considering the fitness of the group is crucial to begin with. it may seem short, but it is tough. most people who show up at carter notch late have come in that way.
the polecat could be a reasonable alternative to the steepest ledges while still hitting d and a.
enjoy. say hi to the nice folks at the hut this summer.

bryan