Wilderness Protocol & Frequency Monitoring

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last edited:
No, generally I leave my radio off and save it for an emergency. Usually I will only take it out in the morning to get the weather.

But I program the radio with 6m, 2m and UHF repeaters in the area before I leave for a trip, and try them out if I have never used them before.

Quoted from the TCARC site:
The Wilderness Protocol is a suggestion that those outside of repeater range should monitor standard simplex channels at specific times in case others have Emergency or priority calls.

Key word here is "OTHERS"....
My understanding of this Protocol is that it COULD potentially benefit someone, who might be in trouble. The idea is fairly simple and doesn't require a LOT of resouces in the way of battery use since monitoring would occur during every 3rd hour on the hour (starting at 7 am.) and for a minimum of 5 minutes for each monitoring period. The only problem that I see is that if it is not widely used or know about it has limiting capabilities. Does anyone know if the USFS or AMC follows the Wilderness Protocol?

I have no idea if anyone else out here does it, but i have all the repeaters in the whites programmed, and i keep a close ear out whenever i am up there, usually leaving my radio on. I once heard a guy who was caught up there during a lightning storm, and I told him to get low (as in get under a rock) DUH!:D It was obvious but he was trying to walk out of it, lol. All I know is that i am a hero:rolleyes: . Anyways, i try to keep tabs on the repeaters up there when not hiking, but leave it off when hiking. Although, every possible backup is a good idea. I mean, if you are stranded one would try every remote possibility, if it requires signaling with a mirror, a cell phone, or an amateur radio. Thats why i think it is a good idea, at least in theory. Whether any of you hams who live up there keep close tabs of any chatter or not could be what makes this a good idea in practice.

I think I could do this.

Hello Ann,

I don't listen to the protocol per se but whenever I am in the condo the scanner is monitoring both 146.52 as well as the repeaters and other emergency freqs. I can hear MT Washington as well as North Conway and a few other amateur repeaters from my condo.

The wilderness protocol is gonna be kind of rough in the whites because of the height of the mountains and the locations of your listeners and the number of listeners. Your best bet will probably be to use the repeaters. I have always had good luck finding an avalialable repeater in the Whites and the Dacks.

Having said that don't hesitate to try it. Don't forget that 146.52 is the national simplex frequency also. Quite a few people monitor that. Anyone can test the protocol after the 5 minute period is over to see if anyone is around. I garantee you that when I hear anyone call with a portable suffix. I will answer them. I always make my call like this. "N1XTK portable in the pemmigewasett wilderness listening. I usually get someone to talk to. I promise if I hear it I will answer. :D

You might also want to check out LiTZ (Long Tone Zero). It is a way to notify that an emergency is occuring on some repeaters.

As far as finding repeaters in a certain area in the northeast here are the definitive websites (IMHO). Pay particular attention to the second website to find repeaters in a specific area.

http://www.nerepeaters.com/
http://rptr.amateur-radio.net/arn/rptr/index.html

Keith
N1XTK

One more suggestion I forgot to mention Ann. I always carry a rolled up j-pole with me with my HT. There are simple easy to build designs on the web or you can buy them fairly inexpensively. If you need an address to get or build one let me know. It can defintely make the difference between making a contact or not.

Keith