Winter 2008, three proud dames reached their 3rd W

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruce

Reaction score
First it was Inge who reached Panther on January 25, then Christine on Colden February 16 and Peggy on Grace February 17. Peggy and I will likely move on to skiing but Inge not... We have been preceded by Elsie Chrenko (March 18, 1992) and Janet Stein (200?) and of course by Marta Bolton who, in a league by herself, is about to complete her sixth winter round, a woman record she will no doubt keep for a few decades.
Nevertheless it’s Peggy’s final climb (her account follows) that was the most
challenging as it did require a team effort and a combination of skills to be reached. Winter climbing needs friendship to get up there.

----

I managed, with the help of several friends, to finish my third round of the Winter 46 peaks! Grace Peak is one of the shortest in height of the 46 but the route is 100% trailless, which causes some extra problems in winter. The route follows the confusing S Boquet River valley which is a large open hardwood forest with many small streams and drainages to cross as well as small hills and eskers which block the easiest compass course. Christine, Alex, Dennis Babin and I tried two weeks ago to climb Grace Peak but the conditions were very difficult, with a crust on the snow which broke through with every step, even for the 3rd and 4th person! We struggled for 3 hours and had gone only 2.5 miles so we aborted and came home to happily watch the Super Bowl. Christine and Alex don’t “need” this peak for any reason, they just are such nice people that they offered to help me with it. Christine finished her 3rd round of Winter 46 yesterday on Mt. Colden, in the bright sunshine with a balmy temperature of -5 degrees and a dozen brave friends! Even though we were all tired from that hike, Christine and Alex offered to go with me the next day since we knew our other friend, Alain Chevrette (aka PinPin, Jr.) had broken the herd path and done the route finding to Grace Peak Friday and Sat. I had driven down to the stone bridge Friday to follow him but there was no parking plowed out and no sign of his car so I spent 3 hours shoveling out two parking spaces in the snow bank, which was over my head!! The highway usually plows the parking space on the side of the road but has not done that this year. The usual start for this trailless valley is at a stone bridge on Rt 73, south of Lake Placid. I figured that I’d need parking when I went to climb the peak. PinPin utilized my shoveled out parking space on Sat since on Friday the deep snow kept even a legend like him from ascending Grace! He returned Sat and summited as well as continuing on to other peaks, as he is known to do!
So today, Christine, Alex and I met at 8 am, fitting our two vehicles nicely in to the shoveled out parking and started up the herd path. Things were great until we got to where PinPin had ascended the drainage between Spotted Mt and Grace Peak. Christine didn’t tell us but her GPS indicated that we’d need to ascend 1700 feet in .6- mile!!! Pretty steep by anyone’s estimation! PinPin’s track nicely zigzagged up the steep section. He had described his route the previuos evening to us as “Not too steep, kind-of like a staircase”. Maybe we should have asked, “What kind of staircase?!” The winds got stronger and stronger, howling at a loud constant pitch which got louder as we got higher. We arrived at a nice clearing on the ridge between Spotted and Grace and started ascending the ridgeline. Even though we were in the trees, the winds pushed us around!! The open section of summit ridge line was so “moving” we chose not to go out on the ledges on our return and broke a new path in the trees. When we arrived at the summit rock, we found it covered with ice but managed to ascend on all fours with our snowshoes to touch the very top with our hands. There’s NO WAY we would have risked trying to stand up there! We carefully descended and hurried back to the trees.
On the descent we did save an hour but, due to the zigzag path, very little sliding could be done safely. There were a lot of trees that we could have hit or which could have poked us in the face or eyes. At one point, I did slide where I didn’t intend to and ended up with one snowshoe on one side of a tree and the other snowshoe on the other side of the trunk! I struggled to get up and get untangled, happy no injury occurred! We did manage to sneak a peak at the awesome views you always get from any of the peaks in the Dix Range. That’s one reason all 4 trailless peaks in that range are my “favorites”. Once down at the S Boquet River, it was just a long trudge back to the car. We took 4 ½ hours to ascend and 3 hours 15 minutes to return. Even though we had the advantage of a beautiful broken track with hardly any need to route find in the trailless river valley, we really worked hard for this mountain and I sure felt it was an adventure due to the steep route and the high winds! I’m pleased to count Grace as my 3rd winter 46 finish!
Peggy McKellar

Last edited:
That was something I always loved about Winter Climbing, was the camarade of friendships that we met along the way. They weren't willing to join, just because they "needed the peak" but yet because we were a group of friends, who worked together, on a common goal of helping one another to reach them, learning the "true meaning of Friendships."

CONGRATULATIONS Peggy, Christine and Inge! Way to Go!

W46x3

Very inspiring achievement by three strong and skilled women climbers -- three rounds of the W46 -- that's alot of winter hiking.

Skyclimber, nice post, and round No. 6!?

You are all so very fortunate to spend as much time out as you have. :)

Christine, I miss your trip reports!

Last edited:
Three cheers!!!

Here's 2 of the 3 during Saturday's celebration on Colden.
christine_and_peggy-800.jpg

3x46 is a lot of vertical feet and horizontal miles between Dec. 21 and March 21.

Congratulations mesdames! Any interest in doing the HH-W? (Pretty tough up to now this winter.)

"Inge not"...

may change to "Inge might". :eek:
Carl has informed me that skiing WILL be in my future! :cool:

Good thing I'm usually up for a challenge. :D

Congrats Ladies! Glad to see I'm in good company.

Beautiful shot of Christine and Peg on Colden!

Snow White can't quit now. Only You and the Queen can keep up with Junior and Pin Pin. :)

Congrats

It sounds like a very interesting trip. I am glad you are safe and sound. Congrations on your 3rd round. Wow!!!!

Happy trails...

Congratulationssss............

Hi ladies, ;)

Congratulations for the 3 conquering ladies; Ingie, Christine and Peggy, this winter You doubled the number of a real small club!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Junior thinks the pressure on Marta will come from a unwavering Claudia....We don't know How many winter rounds She finished? but every time We saw her She same a rose in a early valentine day...... :rolleyes: .....in front to broken the snowbank.

He! ladies, after the confetties were falling, :D You can not stay to see the train pass, We know Ingi is very near of her 12 months goal... Christine and Peggy What is your next goal....

Pinpin Junior.

Awesome....

Great job ladies, that is quite a feat, kudos to all. Very inspiring...

Marta congrats...six times, unbelievable!!

Congratulations!
Very impressive .......
....... and inspiring! :)

"Any interest in doing the HH-W? (Pretty tough up to now this winter.)"[/

Peggy, still sane of mind, stays away from bushwhacking. Inge and I have (as did at least another two dozen climbers) climbed the 100, some of them in winter and quite a few at least twice, but even with the new Nature Conservancy land deal contrary to popular belief climbing them is still an uphill battle. Some are VERY FAR in winter and private property owners are becoming more and more reluctant to grant access. Getting permission was often harder and more time consuming than climbing the mountain itself!

At the moment I know of only three individuals that have climbed all of the 100 in winter: Alain Chevrette, Tom Haskins and Erik Schlimmer.

Last edited:
3rd W ? Wow ! That's a lot of experience.

Congratulations on the 3rd and the 2nd, and the 1st !

I'll be happy to get One !

Congratulations Ladies.

I never saw anyone have as much fun and enthusiasm as Peggy leaving the summit of Allen on the 9th.

Thanks for the Butt Slide lessons.

Tim