Winter 46th Dates ???????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fior1212

Reaction score
I have seen in threads and on read on the official forty-sixers site that the winter peaks must be climbed from Dec 21st to Mar 21st but looking at a calender for the past years the days change for the first day of winter and the first day of spring.

2002 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2003 - Mar 21th spring begins
2003 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2004 - Mar 20th spring begins
2004 - Dec 21st winter begins and 2005 - Mar 20th spring begins
2005 - Dec 21st winter begins and 2006 - Mar 20th spring begins
2006 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2007 - Mar 21st spring begins

What is the official rule? :confused:

Does it include the first day of spring or does it ended at midnight the day before? :confused:

If this has been discussed before then please point me to the thread.

Mike

fior1212 said:
I have seen in threads and on read on the official forty-sixers site that the winter peaks must be climbed from Dec 21st to Mar 21st but looking at a calender for the past years the days change for the first day of winter and the first day of spring.

2002 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2003 - Mar 21th spring begins
2003 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2004 - Mar 20th spring begins
2004 - Dec 21st winter begins and 2005 - Mar 20th spring begins
2005 - Dec 21st winter begins and 2006 - Mar 20th spring begins
2006 - Dec 22nd winter begins and 2007 - Mar 21st spring begins

What is the official rule? :confused:

Does it include the first day of spring or does it ended at midnight the day before? :confused:

If this has been discussed before then please point me to the thread.

Mike

Dec 21 - Mar 21, every year. Period. Goes for ADKs and Catskills.

Aren't they also pretty picky about the start time, not just the summit time. For example, if you backpack in on the 20th and summit on the 21st.

I believe you have to start the hike on or after the 21st as well.

-Shayne

I do recall something about along the lines that if you were backpack into a basecamp on the 20th and start your climb on the 21st, that "in the spirit" of the 46ers, it wouldn't count because the trip started before the winter start date.

It's Dec. 21st through March 21st, regardless of the season's start & finish on the calendar. The 46ers are not picky about these things. You can always send an e-mail through the 46er web site with specific questions.

Now the AMC - they're picky about Winter's start and finish dates and times which change every year.

Can I use some of my original 46th peaks that were climbed in the winter to count for my winter 46th? :confused:

Jeezus..you guys are lame. How about you pursue winter hiking simply because you love the overall expierence, not because you'll get some stupid patch and be part of some yuppie group? It's almost funny, yer planning trips around the "official" winter season and worrying about if you hike in before the date, but summit when winter "starts"..if you can still be part of that ghey yuppie group...gimmie a break. It's about personal satisfaction/achievement, who gives an F if others don't recognize it. If you did a trip in cold and or foul conditions..pat yourself on the back and be proud.

GregC said:
... It's about personal satisfaction/achievement, ...

Greg,

Yes, it *IS* about "personal satisfaction/achievement", and I derive that from completing lists. I'm goal oriented. I will not apologize for that.

And I don't think it's 'yuppie' or 'lame' either. I'm certainly not a 'yuppie'! :eek: Some people might think you are 'lame' for not completing any lists. I'm not saying you are. Let's not start a war here. You hike when/where/what you want, and allow the listers to hike when/where/what we want.

BTW, I do plenty of hikes just because I want to! :D

GregC said:
if you can still be part of that ghey yuppie group

Hi Greg!
Anybody on this forum who wants to do anything/achieve something according to any criteria, anywhere, anytime and asks a question that may help him or her along their chosen path is OK by me and will get any help I can humbly offer up. The last thing I would ever do is denigrate them and refer to them as a homosexual young urban professional which is what I believe you did.

This is great, I love ruffling feathers on here. I actually met a fellow VFTTr the other day and we had quite a discusion about how lame this forum is, how you guys have no sense of humor and get upset easily.

Tom, that's cool man..I know where yer coming from. It just seems that we sometimes don't fully appreciate the peak that we "bag" for our lists. I've caught myself doing it. For example, I wanted to run up Wright Peak on my way down from Algonquin because I thought to myself "I don't wanna haveta come back this way to finish my 46..I should just do it now". That attitude sucks.

Reekee, eh..possibly. I'm a video/audio production student..so my hands on expierence and the people I know means much more than a piece of paper. Although..unlike the outdoor community, in the world of work I may need a piece of paper to be accepted (get a job) and be successful..but yer an adult so you already knew that right?

Chip, hahaha nice response, I'll tell ya what..if I wanted any lip from you..I would've jiggled my zipper.. mkay?

Neil, that's cool..I share my information with others that may need it also. This is the internet though, I share opinions too. "Ghey" is different from "Gay" in case you didn't know.

Last edited:
GregC said:
"Ghey" is different from "Gay" in case you didn't know.
Not really it isn't. In case YOU didn't know.

If I want my feathers ruffled I'll go for a heavy duty hike. I hike and use this site to get away from people like you. So what if this is the internet? You can state your point without being a jerk. Or can't you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.