Personal Winter NH 4K hiking trends

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
SO, I'm looking at my nearly completed NH Winter 4K sheet, and noticed how many peaks I did per year since I hiked my first NH 4K in winter in 1999 (some were duplicates).

Here goes:
1999: 1
2000: 0
2001: 1
2002: 0
2003: 0
2004: 1
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 5
2008: 5
2009: 8
2010: 7
2011: 9
2012: 10 (hopefully at least 12 by the end of calendar winter!)

Does this seem to fall in with other folks introduction to Hiking in Winter?
I had spent lots of time outside in winter, of course. Growing up in Northern Vermont, you have to find a way to love winter or you'll go nuts! But I didn't hike in the Whites in winter until 1999. Winters were filled with ice fishing, some skiing, and winter camping.

Anyway, I wonder if this follows other folks experience?

If this trend keeps up, imagine how many peaks I'll hike per winter in 20 years when I'm 60! :D

I guess I am the total opposite. This is my first year in the Whites with 29 4K's this season so far. Hoping for 19 more :)

My first year of winter hiking was 2010 in the Adirondacks, with 22 4K's; 24 in 2011 for a two season Winter 46. I was hooked!!!!

I think people tend to increase the number of 4k's when they get closer to some targeted list completion.

On the other side of list completion, in my case, I lost interest in 4K's after completing the grid. I feel like I don't need any particular goal any more. It is pretty freeing feeling like I finally, "graduated." :) I can just hike for fun!!!! YAY!!!

I think people tend to increase the number of 4k's when they get closer to some targeted list completion.
On the other hand, I lost interest after ascending 20--40 in 5 or so years. Around 30 years after starting, I joined some friends on one's finish. This spurred me to check my records and I found that I only had a few left so I finished them up in a year or two.

Doug

Last edited:
It took my wife and me 4 years to do the all season, and me 3 years to complete the winter. Although I’m not actively pursuing the Grid, I do keep score. For now, I just pimp myself out to others who are looking to complete a list.

I had spent lots of time outside in winter, of course. Growing up in Northern Vermont, you have to find a way to love winter or you'll go nuts! But I didn't hike in the Whites in winter until 1999. Winters were filled with ice fishing, some skiing, and winter camping.D

It matches mine. Many duplicates of those I'd already done, which eventually gave me confidence to try others. And like Mad River, I enjoy helping others work on their lists as much as I enjoy my own goals.

Mine seems to be more based on what's going on in my life. Started peakbagging really in 1995 although I has the NE State High Points first but while single or married with no kids, I was up north at least once a month, regardless of season.

Finished all seasons for New England in 1998, and just have 8-10 left in summer & seven or eight left in winter for the season grid. (all done in Spring & Fall) Also have 11 left in NY, all in the ADK's most of nine herd paths (4 Sewards, 3 by Panther, Gray, Cliff, Dial & Nippletop - last)

Now that the kids are old enough to go, I've stayed more local - they don't do four hour car rides so well, or I don't listening to them :eek:, doing Cub Scout hikes too. Now on other parts of the lists so it's not a big a deal, with the kids, 52 WAV maybe next, have many done & hikes like Sugarloaves or Potash would make them just as happy.

In the past year, been doing some more fun, trips in ADK & in CT, brooks, firetowers, State Highpoints, (RI, NJ, they've driven the auto road) crossing the Hudson (they cross also on the TZ so walking across is fun, someday I'll get them up to Lake Tear & Four Corners)

Overall, I'm happy that they like going & I have'nt been too hard on them. This summer we'll spend a night at Carter Notch Hut & then do Carter Dome, not sure they would be happy doing the 10 miles in one day, but breaking it up should make everyone happy, weather permitting. (knock, knock:D - going rain or shine but unlikely anyone happy if it's raining)

When I lived out of state I climbed 0 most years, and 1 for a couple

Then my sister wanted to complete the winter 4k which we did over 3 years mostly during her January breaks

Then a few years in double digits until I took on NH100, SRKG, etc.

Now only 1 most years just to say I did

SO, I'm looking at my nearly completed NH Winter 4K sheet, and noticed how many peaks I did per year since I hiked my first NH 4K in winter in 1999 (some were duplicates).

Here goes:
1999: 1
2000: 0
2001: 1
2002: 0
2003: 0
2004: 1
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 5
2008: 5
2009: 8
2010: 7
2011: 9
2012: 10 (hopefully at least 12 by the end of calendar winter!)

2000: 1
2001: 0
2002: 13
2003: 13
2004: 6
2005: 4
2006: 6
2007: 3
2008: 2
2009: 1
2010: 3
2011: 7
2012: 1

Compared to yours, mine's sloped the other way...

I didn't necessarily do less winter hiking in the years with lower numbers though...non summit hikes, non list hikes, attempts, etc. varied from year to year. Hope to do 5-6 more or so this winter.

Agree with Mike P too about life situations having an effect on these numbers. I can see some clear cutoff points in my numbers when I look at them that make perfect sense based on "where I was"

Last edited:
I manage to do a bunch each winter. Some winters more, some less.

I have done 4 this year, 4 last year, but 0 the few years before that. Winter is too short and I have too many other hobbies that cut into it such as skiing and snowmobiling. I think I'm at around only 20 for my winter 4k list. I will finish them next year......................I hope.:)

Twenty five for me in the last 12 years, but a few are duplications, such as Moosilauke, a perennial favoriate, and Tecumseh, an easy drive from home.

My feeling is take quality over quantity. Why force yourself to do more peaks (often on cruddy days) just because "everybody" else is? I would rather applaud those who take LONGER to finish the lists, savoring every step and waiting for the perfect days to go - than those who rush around acting like these mountains are barriers to bragging rights, when they are in fact experiences to be treasured. Not much glory in my approach though.