Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. X

Reaction score
What are peoples opinions on winter boots. I currently have no foot wear that is season specific. I hear some use Sorel's and other use the plastic mountineering type. If you don't often go (dude, I don't even hike that much) what would be a happy medium. I'm told my feet will freeze in my Asolo 520's.

Mr. X said:
What are peoples opinions on winter boots. I currently have no foot wear that is season specific. I hear some use Sorel's and other use the plastic mountineering type. If you don't often go (dude, I don't even hike that much) what would be a happy medium. I'm told my feet will freeze in my Asolo 520's.
Just get sorels. I have a $100 pair of Merrell Winter boots that go down to -20F. They're fine... they work well with crampons because they're stiff. I guess you have to ask why would you need to spend $300 on plastic boots? If it's because you don't want them frozen up in the morning after camping I still don't think it's worth it. To me, I can find clever ways to keep them from freezing to justify not spending the extra $200. But if I want to do some more serious stuff like ice climbing then I'll need to get plastics. You'll get ten million responses though and everyone will suggest something different. Remember when in Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo put Luke in the carcass of the dead tauntaun? I would get shoes like that.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I've been using all leather, heavy-duty norwegian welt Alico's in winter (and every other season). I just make sure to wax um up good before a winter overnight. But as the good Dr. alludes, there are tricks to keeping them from being frozen rocks in the morning. The most common trick is to put them in a garbage bag and shove them down to the bottom of your sleeping bag.

As far as the plastics, I've been contemplating them for several years as well, but just haven't been able to justify them for the northeast weekend trips that I do.

If you are referring to these Asolo's I imagine you'll be fine for an overnight.

20 years ago I bought Sorels. Warm enough, but can't / won't accept crampons.
10 years ago I bought Asolo Plastic boots. Warm enough, accepts crampons, uncomfortable to hike in.
Last year I bought Columbia Bugaboo II's. Warm enough, accepts hinged crampons, comfortable to hike in.

In 2014 I'm gonna try...

Onestep

Sorel Conquests will accept a lot of crampons...
I have hiked in leathers, and they froze over night, but by 9am it was not an issue.
Plastics are the way to go, but the price is rather prohibitive.
You can get good deals on Koflach Degres - either rental pairs or last years models, often for under $200.

the right boot

`You get what you pay for. Many use plastics because they are warm period, if your boots are not warm enough you will pay the price. I use Lasportiva "Lhotses"(sp) they leather synthetic combo and are very comfortable, plastics are very uncomfortable for sure. MY boots cost 325.00 yes thats alot but I hike alot and my feet are worth at least 325.00.

Mr. X,
I have gone both ways First with Sorels, then to plastics about 8 years ago, then back to Sorels for 5 years and now back to plastics.
The real question is do you plan to camp overnight outside in the winter?
If so, then I would definitely Follow Dr. Wu's advice and get sorels, the cheaper alternative to being able to take the liners out and keep them from freezing.

My sorels do fit my Grivel G-10's with no problems and the G-10's fit much better than my old strap-on crampons.

If you are not camping out overnight, then I think the Columbia Bugabboos or Titaniums (which I also own) will do just fine and set you back about $79 and easily fit your snowshoes or crampons. Just make sure that whatever you buy has a lip to hold the snowshoe strap in the back.

There is also ebay for used plastic boots, but you really need to try them on in a store to get an idea of fit. But what the heck, if they don;t fit, put'em right back on Ebay.

SapBlatt, I really like the Conquests, but I had a really hard time getting my foot in the boot as the tongue is connected all the way to the top (Like trying to put your foot into toilet paper roll ;) ) I figured if I struggled that much in the store trying to get them on, imagine sitting in a tent vesty at 5 degrees out and struggling with frozen fingers!!

(PS You must make sure you have the newer G-10's, becuase the older model had a nut in the back that would just scratch away at the back of the heel of your boot, eventually wearing the material thin)

Last edited:
I started Winter hiking using Columbia Boot rated at -20. Upgraded to Columbia Ice Dragon with a -45 rating. Both worked great with strap on crampons. However - my feet would always get cold at soem point in a long day hike.

Having heard how warm Koflach Degree Plastic boots are I bought a pair last year at an end of season sale at IMC. There were very comfortable to hike in, and using a step in crampon was much easier to attach resulting in warmer hands, but my feet were no warmer.

This Winter we plan on doing some overnight trips so are happy to have the Koflachs between the removable liner and the step in crampons.

If you are not planning on doing a lot of Winter hiking - save you $$$ and stay away from the plastics. Both Columbia and North Face make good stiff soled boots that work well with Crampons.

You may even be able to use your current boots (I use the same Asolo model for non-Winter hiking) well into the Winter, depending on how far you will be hiking and where. No matter what you end up buying, if anything, be sure to try them on for fit!

Snowshoes and crampons are addition items that may or not be required based on where you are hiking.

I use Sorel Conquest's. I don't do much overnight in the winter, so I don't need to worry about frozen boots in the morning. My crampons (Grivel G-10 New Classics with Extended flex-bar) fit them well. They only cost Me $89 (plus a 10% discount with My Trail Conference Membership) at Campmor. They do just fine!!

if you fit plastics right - they are comfortable - in fact they are the most comfy of all my boots. ( 3 pairs)

- and you will not need another boot for winter for years to come - you ever start ice climbing - (you may someday - you never know - but you know better than I) - don't have to buy another boot - start doing some peaks out west - ditto.

koflac degre's are perfect for many things in the mountains. money well spent - cold feet really suck and can put an end to any trip pretty fast. I think the new orange one are even better than the ones I have.

just my 2 cents - what happened to the slayer avatar??? chemical waaarrrfffffffaaaaarrrrrreeee!!

Last edited:
Dude, get both!

Then you'll hike more! :cool:

I used Sorels for many years, with wood/rawhide snowshoes fitted with homemade crampons. Worked fine, but my feet were cold occasionally.

Then got a pair of Koflach Verticals on sale at Beans for cheap. Yeah, I know, they're supposed to be uncomfortable to hike in, made for climbing ice, yadda yadda, but I love them. For me they're just fine for hiking. :p

My feet have NEVER been cold in my plastics. I suppose I wouldn't want to do 20 miles in them, but I wouldn't want to do 20 miles in Sorels, either. Come to think of it, 20 miles never sounds like a good idea to me. :eek:

So if money's an issue, Sorels. If it's only a minor issue, go with Koflach Degrés. I leave my big leathers at home when there's plenty of snow, especially if I'm sleeping outside.

For hiking in less-than-severe winter conditions or even overnight camping in temps. above ~10 degrees F., I use Salomon SM Lites. For serious cold and ice climbing I use Galibier Makalus, a leather double boot that is no longer made. My rule of thumb for winter hiking boots is that they need to weigh at least 4 lbs. per pair, anything lighter probably won't be warm enough.

I got a pair of heat moldable liners for my Degres and they are super comfortable. However, they still weigh 4.5 lbs per pair. I am thinking of trying a Columbia style boot this year and see if it makes a difference. If using them overnight you would probably want to use a vapor barrier liner to minimize freezing.

I have nothing bad to say about my Sorel Conquest's. Over night trips I just put them in a bag and put them under my sleeping bag at the feet. Have yet to have them freeze.

I love my Columbia Excellerators (don't think they make them any more) because they're stiffer than the Sorels I tried and lighter than the Koflachs I tried.

If you already own crampons, be sure to bring them along when you buy boots and make sure the crampons fit the boots you select. Some boots do not accept some crampons well.

It's not just the boots that matter.

It also depends on how much energy you are expending, and how well covered the rest of your body is. I always wear 3 pairs of socks, and I dress for the weather.

That said, I've never had a problem with my feet getting too cold in 'normal' boots. EMS Day hikers, which are no longer sold :( , work down to -20F.

Tom Rankin said:
It also depends on how much energy you are expending, and how well covered the rest of your body is. I always wear 3 pairs of socks, and I dress for the weather.
I'd just like to add that one shouldn't use more socks than the boots were fitted for. Feet are warmed by circulation--if you stuff too many socks inside a boot, you can reduce circulation and get cold feet or cold injured feet.

In the _real_ cold (eg temps lower than -40), people tend to wear very loose boots.

Doug

Last edited:
I have a pair of LLBean NorEasters (unfortunately, I don't think they make them anymore - I wish they did). They are a rubber-bottomed, leather upper boot, like a typical pack boot only bigger, warmer and with a removable insulated GoreTex liner. They are really sticky on the bottom since the rubber is actually somewhat soft, so they provide great traction. They work fine with strap-on crampons. I think your Sorels would similarly do fine with strap-on crampons if you got them. The great thing about these boots (and other similar boots) is they are flexible and work well for hunting and mud season as well as winter. I've never had cold feet with them in the dead of winter as long as I maintain even a low level of activity, but I've never had hot feet either. They work well with snowshoes, and the removable liner makes them easy to dry out and air out. And because they are soft, there are no hot spots that rub on my feet. If you can find something all-around like that it probably would suit your needs, since you said you don't hike a whole lot. (Maybe Bean has made a replacement for this boot, under a different name).