Winter Gathering 8.5 a success!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is that it was a FUN weekend with cool people (even though the weather was less than desired). Awesome to meet some new people that I have read so much about (MEB, YAM, Doug Paul, Abster, et al) :) , and it was a blast to see many of the "usual suspects" (who I don't even need to name) :D .

A special THANK YOU definitely goes out to GO and VO for putting up with all of us "winter whackos", and also to Spencer and Joanna who were key organizers in this whole crazy event...

Til' the next one...

Gris, I LOVED your spicy pepper jam - but I thought you knew that by how many jam, cream cheese crackers I had!! Thank you for bringing it to share :D

I had said:
Pete_Hickey said:
And don't give me none of that 'only grows in Florida garbage..."
So I look up in my pepper encyclopedia (yes, I have one), at the Datil Pepper. It says that they heve been grown in St Augustine, Fl, for over 300 years and they are closely guarded by floridians, so that nobody else can get the seeds to grow them elsewhere.

So, It wasn't garbage spewed by Gris!!! But it still shows how screwed up Floridians are!

There Gris, that's my apology. :)

Last edited:
OK Pete, apology accepted, now you'll get yer precious peppers and you can make a spicey humble pie with em! :p

Thanks Abster, YOU are nice; you too Coldfeet. LOL! ;)

High Horse - "Glory Days..." was a direct sentimental salute to my personal chaueffer, who took many daring leaps off Nansen (decades ago). :eek:

Thanks Go and Vo for your hospitality!! You surely do have a peice of paradise up there! And thank you Spencer for orgainizing everything! What a fun time!! It ws nice meeting so many new people and I can now put faces with the names. :)

Skimom, Mad Townie, Arm, JohnS and Shizzmac- I had a great time hiking the Bigelows on Friday. It sure was the day to be out, although I have to admit I was a bit jealous of those who were skiing at Sugarloaf. Here are some picutres from the hike. http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB

Nic pic looking back at Sugarloaf! I think I can see myself falling down if I zoom in real close...
:)

Reactions: yam
Nice surfing pic, good form too! But, I cry FOUL! You put up a pic of me "sleeping," but failed to post the infamous "Jack-in-Pants" Puppy pic! :D

I'm afraid to post the "precious in pants"....don't want to get in trouble from the kids...they know to much about my trips and wouldn't want them to surf the net...give me some time to think...

........"precious in pants"....
Is that something ELSE I forgot? or was that the day I was hiking and most were not.

don't want to get in trouble from the kids...they know to much about my trips and wouldn't want them to surf the net...give me some time to think...
You can always get photoshop, and do something like this which will mask identities (note picture NOT from the gathering, just used as an example)

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/axeall.jpg

Who IS percius? Did I talk to him at all?

spencer said:
Pete, remind me to show you a picture in person some time. I would never dare put it on the net but lets just say it has "more" to offer.

My god!!!! I hope you're not implying that someone took carnal advantage of that poor cute defenseless animal. I really glad I forgot just about everything.

.......uuuuuuhhhhhhhh.... It wasn't ME in the picture with him, was it?

poor percious will never be the same again. sorry david,
but glad you came up.
thanks to john s who gets the most helpful guest by helping me sand the driveway on thursday night so everyone could get up the driveway.
and thanks to the road crew - sue, hamtero, frodo and spencer who helped sand on saturday morning.
thanks to gris for tunes in the house and the gifts. and yes, anytime you'd like we can do a mini gathering at the viewpoint campsite. sk can arange everything for us!
thanks to shiz for the excellent burger and tunes outside the house.
thanks to spencer and joanna for all the communication, organization, and for being just outstanding people.
i'm sure i've forgotten to thank someone so ...
thanks to everyone who attended. you all were great guests, and super people. vo and i thank you so much for the beautiful picture of the bigelow range and the gifts. thanks for spending the weekend with us. since you now know where we are, don't be strangers. if you are up this way hiking, skiing, fishing, kayaking, whatever, you are all welcome to crash at the brokedown palace.
thanks again.
vo & go
ps - abster - we have been looking everywhere for our pet mouse ... glad to hear he is ok ... tell him to come home asap.

g o said:
ps - abster - we have been looking everywhere for our pet mouse ... glad to hear he is ok ... tell him to come home asap.

Oh NO !!!! Garret, you are not supposed to let the Maine residents relocate to VT . . . I thought the goal was to increase the numbers in Maine ;)

I am sorry I missed this but hopefully I will catch up with ya'll sometime soon.

sli74

I haven't seen any little poops on the seat lately so he may be on his way home :)

4030 is clearly "classic" SherpaK. That's the one to Photoshop!
:D

Just want to express my feelings again....

I was really psyched getting ready for this gathering. I think I was getting ready for it after last years gathering in NH because it was a blast, nice people, cool setting and the weather didn't bother me.....

Now I have this down feeling like the air was taken out of a balloon....I'm trying to figure out how to explain it but here goes...

It was like a summer camp experience and you have to wait a whole year to do it again...

It was like going to those Baseball adult camps where you meet the pro's and play ball with them, then go home...

I think of myself as a tourist/visitor when going on these trips and I can't wait to book another trip...

I showed pictures of the trip to friends and one person said that I was "hard core"...funny, what would they say about you folks?

I'm glad that i took the chance going to these gatherings because I'll remember them forever.

I downloaded the registration to camp in Baxter this coming summer to continue the journey.....

Have a great and safe year everybody....

coldfeet said:
I showed pictures of the trip to friends and one person said that I was "hard core"...funny, what would they say about you folks?
They usually just tell us we are insane followed by their version of winter camping is at the <names favorite hotel>.

Doug