winter hut traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to lecture...

Don't worry about it, man. That's what forums are all about...exchanging ideas and knowledge. Thanks for your help.

OK, Ryan. Now that we know how, we better to get to work on the planning. I'll take care of fallbacks and bailouts. You can deal with plans B, C, D and E. Wu is in charge of just generally staying safe.

FWIW, the forecast seems to be dictating that this will likely wait until another weekend anyway...so I guess maybe we'll have some extra time to plan?

Have a great day, I know you will. There's no stopping you guys. Bring some cling peaches and condensed milk, a few fig newtons and your ready to go.
WWAMD?

there will obviously be some night hiking involved. so... saturday(day) looks good but fri night and sat night look a bit chilly(to me) to make it enjoyable. NO WAY do i want to be forced to use the gale river trail again. we'll just keep circling like vultures and wait for the perfect opportunity. pemi loops are perfect holding patterns.

Jason how would you feel about a Owls head, Waumbek, Cabot traverse from hancock notch trailhead. it would be more sheltered

OK, Ryan. Now that we know how, we better to get to work on the planning. I'll take care of fallbacks and bailouts. You can deal with plans B, C, D and E. Wu is in charge of just generally staying safe.
Remember the mantra and you don't even need me there: "Alcohol makes everyone safe." Or at least it gives the appearance of that. Oh, and I mean on the trail! Don't anyone go drink 'n' drive to the trailhead!

You guys are getting good at breaking (lots of) trails out. FWIW, I hope you dudes do it!

-Dr. Wu

Options

If the weather's too iffy for above treeline, you could always try for a Mahoosuc Traverse* or--rather wimpy in comparison--Kilkenny Ridge Traverse. Don't believe either has yet been done in a one-day winter's swell foop... Of course, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Good luck guys!!

*Speaking from personal experience, a bit of rope is advised for Mahoosuc Notch in winter.

One "technical" problem exists with the OH route, in that is uses the MW auto road to get to the Raymond Path, which in theory should be a paid venture.
The Aqueduct Ski Trail is also a fee area, and only open certain hours. You could buy a ski pass if you feel guilty about it.
http://www.greatglentrails.com/Winter-Page-305.html
*Speaking from personal experience, a bit of rope is advised for Mahoosuc Notch in winter.
Dan Allen spoke about front-pointing up icy boulders

Last news were they were going to take it easy and do a Pemi Loop instead.

Seriously, that's their idea of taking it easy.