Winter on Lafayette, spring on Lincoln; and an undercast!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Rols, Tuco, Bobby and I decided to do Lafayette yesterday (2/13). Tuco and I met up in Southern NH. Checked my Crackberry and Bobby had to decline, due to some coldlike symptoms. :(

We met Rols at the blustery Lafayette Place parking lot, geared up and started on the Old Bridle Path (OBP). We got to the first outlook and were treated to a nice view of Lincoln:

ry%3D480

We then worked up the OBP. Here are Rols and Tuco ascending:

ry%3D480

We made our way up toward the summit. The winds started howling at about 40 MPH from the north. We bundled up with goggles and full face masks. We did find a somewhat protected area above treeline and I took the following photo of Rols and Tuco:

ry%3D480

I finally got to the summit and was treated to see the Presidentials sticking out over the undercast:

ry%3D480

Tuco and Rols got to the summit shortly afterward. Here is Eric at the summit, with the Sugar Hill/Lisbon area (my Mother-in-law's home) below in the clouds:

ry%3D480

Here's a shot of Lincoln from the Lafayette summit:

ry%3D480

Rols, Tuco and I decided to take photos of each other at the same time on the Lafayette summit. Such shutterbugs :rolleyes::

ry%3D480

Tuco and I set out to do the ridge and Rols decided to head back down. Once off the summit, the wind died (protected by Lafayette) and it was WARM :cool: There were also sections of bare rock and ground. We started shedding layers and soaking in the warm sunshine. I actually sunburned my face a bit (BAD MARTY)! We made great time and got to the Lincoln summit. Took a shot toward the Bonds and Presi's, as the undercast began to break, with lots of bare rocks on Lincoln in the foreground:

ry%3D480

My last shot is of Lafayette from Lincoln. Note the thin clouds surrounding Lafayette. One hiker said there was a rainbow over Lafayette earlier, but we did not get to see one. Maybe next time:

ry%3D480

Tuco and I then scooted over to Little Haystack and down Falling Waters to the car, where we caught up with Rols, who was about to leave. A couple of things to note:
  1. Rols and I used Kahtloola Steel crampons and Tuco used Microspikes for the whole hike. Some barebooted, but I would have preferred traction in some spots. Others used snowshoes, but they would have got beaten up on the ridge.
  2. There was very little activity on these mountains today. It was unusually quiet and very special today!
It was another great hike with my pals Rols and Tuco!

Marty

Last edited:
Very nice Marty, thanks for posting your pics in the TR (it really helps when I have no time to navigate on some other websites).

We were pretty close to you guys saturday, on Big Coolidge. It was a very nice day out there.

AWE GEORGEOUS!!! There is NOTHING like being "up there" on a day like that!

Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures.

I haven't hiked in OVER A MONTH!!!! I'M DYING!!! :eek:

HOPING to do Cannon on Saturday...please please please please!!

Marty . . . it's always such a treat when there is an undercast, and it's great to read (and see) that you guys got to experience a really good one. You got some very nice photos!