WMNF from a West Coast Perspective

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Murphy

Reaction score
http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/hope-on-the-horizon-beyond-crawford-notch/

The group has a compelling back story for their trip but this paragraph really amused me.

"Like Isolation, Owl’s Head was very difficult to reach, requiring a round trip of nearly 16 miles from the Garfield Ridge to obtain. The man stopped us, warning us that there was close to a mile of virtually impassable bog along the trail we had intended to follow. He warned that it was similar to quicksand, and that people had been stuck up to their waist in the past and had needed to be pulled out by rescuers to escape."

The authors used the basement at LOC to overnight as part of their presi traverse, which I always I thought that was for emergencies only.

Last edited:
Tom, you are correct that the AMC considers the " dungeon" at LOC as an emergency shelter only, and only when the hut is closed, and doesn't want it being used as a BC destination shelter.

LOC closes Mid September ( although I see their 2013 dates extend to the 21st).

There isn't going to be a hut-master there in Mid November to argue whether the use is actually an in/of emergency nature or just so very convenient to forestall a possible emergency situation.

If NHF&G and AVSAR aren't called out for a night rescue above treeline, was there any emergency ??? ? What constitutes an emergency need to duck into LOC's emergency shelter? Dark, Rain, Wind, Fog, Cold, Delayed past expectation or plan ?

Devil in the details, I guess, but no one had to go up to haul their butts down, they didn't try to " borrow" an OBS vehicle to get down AFTER they were in trouble, so I'm choosing to think they averted a very bad night for themselves and a bunch of others.

Breeze

If you've never been in the dungeon, who should open the door sometime. Mildrew smelling is being very kind to the odor. It's not a place you'd want to spend a night in.

Last edited:
"The Dungeon" is a fine place to layer up after an ascent via Ammonoosuc Ravine, before heading to Monroe or Washington. I would not want to stay there much beyond that. It really is for emergency use. If the front of the hut is out of the wind, then that is a more pleasant place to stop.

Tim

They openly stated they stayed in a "shelter left open for weather emergencies." Their readers will judge accordingly.

Interesting choice of route to Owl's Head.

More questionable to me would be their decision to cross the Dry River valley to Iso and back from Mizpah after 3 straight days of rain, knowing the trails there were closed and heavily damaged. But they made it so hey, "HYOH!"

If you've never been in the dungeon, who should open the door sometime. Mildrew smelling is being very kind to the odor. It's not a place you'd want to spend a night in.
My sister's comment: "Staying there would be better than freezing to death, but just barely."

Interesting choice of route to Owl's Head.
They were doing a continuous backpack not separate hikes

The description of the odor in Lakes far far too polite, the times I checked it out, it had a distinct overwhelming urine odor. Not sure if it deliberate or bad plumbing.

The stench of urine can be rather high in that emergency shelter. Also - depending upon the prevailing winds/type of precip - sometimes I've seen the door frozen partially open - 3" or 4" inches - by ice flows, making it impossible to open further. Even assuming you had an ice axe, it might be nearly impossible to chip enough ice out of the way to open it enough to get under the building.

I’m torn on this one. I generally us the dungeon to change from the hike up to warm and dry clothing then head out. I’ve been there 5 or 6 times over the years, and it is always nice to know I have a sheltered spot for a momentary respite before heading out. I always liked that fact that it wasn’t widely known so it never became a destination instead of an emergency shelter as it was designed for. However, if people are using and abusing it as a primary destination during winter, then I do understand the padlock, though I am still somewhat sad at its loss.

The abuse of the Dungeon is not the only abuse at LOC in the winter, In the late winter/early spring there are usually numerous traces of the use of the area around the hut as an open toilet.

Its too bad that a small minority ruins it for all but this is not the first case, look into the history of the emergency refuge at Edmunds pass.

Since David posts on here, perhaps he should edit that section so people aren't counting on it.

The site hasn't been updated in a long while, it was accurate when written. If I get around to it I'll update the page but don't hold your breath.