Xmas Hikings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I will most likely do more hiking than skiing this coming week given the lack of snow at most ski areas. We haven’t selected a day or a mountain as of yet, so If you are heading up north just PM me and I will see if we are available for a hike.

Hiking during Xmas

Thanks. I definitely would be hiking both Sunday and Monday, plan to start around 8:30-9am, down by 5pm so to get back to boston by dinner time. I haven't checked the trail yet, probabbly something along 93/112 to be closer to Boston. Please feel free to let me know if you'd like to do it together.

Sunday Sandwich 8:30am

Thanks, Lawn Sale.

The plan is to go up Sandwich Dome via Algonquin trail, come down via Smarts Brook Trail.

Let's meet 8:30am Sunday at the junction of Sandwich Notch Rd and Rt 49. Then we can leave one car at Smarts Brook Trail head on Rt 49, drive the other one to Algonquin trailhead.

Look forward to hiking with you!

Monday I probably will do Oseola.

Several Steep Scrambles

ascending Algonquin TR may be slippery due to all the rain we've had in Waterville. If the temps drop below freezing there could be some ice as well.
Descending Drakes Brook should be reasonable. You may want to consider Sandwich Mtn Tr, Drakes Brook Loop instead of Algonquin.
Hike Safe

peakn said:
ascending Algonquin TR may be slippery due to all the rain we've had in Waterville. If the temps drop below freezing there could be some ice as well.
Descending Drakes Brook should be reasonable. You may want to consider Sandwich Mtn Tr, Drakes Brook Loop instead of Algonquin.
Hike Safe
Drakes Brook could well be impossible to get across right now or at least very treacherous. It's almost always quite high and after heavy rain like this very high and fast. If Drakes Brook is at a reasonable level then I agree with your assessment. The Algonquin Trail won't be much fun if it's icey but Sandwich Mtn Trail will have a few challenging spots if too if there is ice. Also Mountain Girl if time is really an issue you might do better on this route if you can safely cross Drakes Brook.

Garry G. said:
Drakes Brook could well be impossible to get across right now or at least very treacherous. It's almost always quite high and after heavy rain like this very high and fast. If Drakes Brook is at a reasonable level then I agree with your assessment. The Algonquin Trail won't be much fun if it's icey but Sandwich Mtn Trail will have a few challenging spots if too if there is ice.
It is trivial to bushwack around the stream crossing on Sandwich Mtn Tr, if needed.

Doug

A wise choice; you didn't want to go up Sandwich Notch Road. :)

Hope you have a great hike today!