Yosemite and such in July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed hiking at Virginia Lakes which is just northwest of Mono Lake. Lots of beautiful mountain tarns (Frog Lakes) and the trail to Summit Lake ,which is right on the park boundary, is a nice, mellow hike with outstanding views of cirques and U-shaped valleys.

I would agree with Mt.Conness as well, tougher then Dana but in a real cool section of the park

I actually got a library book about Yosemite for a trip tomorrow to San Fran....I thought about driving there with my dad and just site see for 2 days but according to their we site you might need tire chains now.....well it doesn't look to promising......i was also going to try to drive to see Mt. Shasta, but that's a very long drive...oh well, guess I'll drink beer and visit Alchatraz..(sp?)

I actually got a library book about Yosemite for a trip tomorrow to San Fran....I thought about driving there with my dad and just site see for 2 days but according to their we site you might need tire chains now.....well it doesn't look to promising......i was also going to try to drive to see Mt. Shasta, but that's a very long drive...oh well, guess I'll drink beer and visit Alchatraz..(sp?)
Muir Woods NM and Point Reyes NS are just N of SF.

Both, IMO, are worth a visit.

Doug

Dog lake, and more...

LivesToHike: Dog Lake is on the way to the Young Lakes, so that one's covered. However, I think I'll enjoy looking at Half Dome from Clouds Rest!
/QUOTE]

Audrey - glad to hear it. I enjoyed Dog Lake very much - we stopped there to sit and enjoy the view for awhile last summer. I hope you enjoy Cloud's Rest - I look forward to reading your trip report after you go out there.
--Mike

Last edited:

I used to live in san fran so i could climb in Yosemite and experience the city as well, it takes 2 hours to get to the valley floor, I would seriously consider this trip, you MUST see the valley if your that close.

For anyone heading to Yosemite (or just dreaming) check out http://www.yosemitehikes.com. Great descriptions and pics of all the major trails/hikes. Trail maps in Google maps that can be viewed in Google earth and exported in GPS format.

I'm back!....WOW!.....will post some pics later next week...gotta pack up for the ADK gathering .....short story..

Sat...walked over Golden Gate bridge real early...fog...
went to Golden Gate Park and went to the different botanical gardens...then china Town...

Sunday...Muir woods...amazing.....then to Sonoma and Napa valley....then drove to Redding towards Shasta...

Monday..drove to Mt Shasta...took pics and left after app 1hr....drove to Big Trees.....

Tues...saw the Giant Sequias (sp?)..North Grove....could have used microspikes... wanted to hit Yosemite but needed to get back to airport around pm....total driving milage app 1000 miles....loved highway 5......Saw mt shasta in my mirror for app 100 miles driving back....oh yea...went to 3 breweries.. the gordon Bierch (sp?) snowshoe, and BJ's near the airport...loved it..great weather....can't wait to go back with my wife and kids..oh yea, and dad :D

Audrey, we just went with the flow....but my father really is a city boy...he did it for me...he really wants to go to Equator....who knows maybe next year, but my wife needs to go also, she needs a vacation more than me....enjoy your trip planning with Pat...