yuk!!!! only wilderness counts?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Anyone know the story here? This pile of sh*t is located at the wilderness boundary along the Wild River Trail, presumably taken from the now-dismantled Perkin's Notch Shelter. This pile caught my eye...it's only 40' from the trail.

IMG_1583aaa.jpg

If this trash isn't good enough for the wilderness, why is it ok to leave it in the non-wilderness forest? Why is non-wilderness forest not important and not worthy of respect?

Well, I sure hope that is the plan. I sized it up, wondering which parts to take out but then I thought it would be a bad idea to mess with USFS operations. I guess we'll just see what happens.

The pile at the shelter is also a nasty mess. It had charm as a shelter, but at the moment the site is a little slum.

I passed the info on to the USFS and they're looking into it. There's agreement that it shouldn't have been left in this mess.

... I sized it up, wondering which parts to take out but then I thought it would be a bad idea to mess with USFS operations.... The pile at the shelter is also a nasty mess. It had charm as a shelter, but at the moment the site is a little slum.
I'm not going to comment. It's killing me, but I'm not going to comment.

I passed the info on to the USFS and they're looking into it. There's agreement that it shouldn't have been left in this mess.

Yes, thanks for contacting FS. I always feel it's more effective if someone connected with an outdoor club contacts authorities on such matters.

I've always had a weary feeling about the unintended consequences of wilderness designation. Can it lead to a deminished reverence for non-wilderness forest? I think that even a 10-acre plot of protected green space surrounded by urban sprawl should be treated with respect.

The forest doesn't know where a line is drawn or what it matters. What is the difference in value of land on either side of our arbitrary line through the woods? Why not treat it all as special?

The best guess is that the material was left just outside the Wilderness boundary for pickup by snowmobile. But regardless of the plan, it could certainly have been left in a more orderly state, or packed out directly.

The best guess is that the material was left just outside the Wilderness boundary for pickup by snowmobile. But regardless of the plan, it could certainly have been left in a more orderly state, or packed out directly.

any ideas how long it's been sitting there, as in, was it there last winter too?????

FWIW, it doesn't look like it has been there terribly long. From the pictures, it's not covered up too much with brush or leaves, so I am hoping it's temporary until some other means of hauling it out are ready.

I can't help but wish that someone would remove this stuff and sell it on e-bay.:mad: ... or, is this part of a geocache?:eek: