First Aid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I'd like to start a thread on the general topic of first aid. More specifically:
1.) What do you carry?
2.) have you thought about carrying or stopped carrying?
3.) What sort of situations requiring first aid have you seen on the trail?

I have always carried some ibuprofen, antacids, loperamide (antidiareal), and some band-aids. Recently, I put some benedryl (diphenhydramine) in my pack. I have access to inexpensive injectable epinephrine, but I'm 48 and have never had an allergic reaction to anything including poison ivy. It weighs a few ounces, so I will probably add it only when hiking in large groups.

My office defibrilator weighs 10+ pounds and is the size of two car batteries. I'm gonna leave it in the office. (If the big hits me on the trail pour some spring water over me and "Hot n Sweaty" and I will salute you all.)

My hands seemed to get the most abuse with cuts and bruises. Since I've started wearing gloves even in summer it is much less of a problem. Preventive medicine.

I usually get blisters, but just hike through them. I spend the next day making my wife miserable about them. I have never stopped once to take care of a developing blister.

No amount of first aid equipment is going to help you if you don't have proper training. I highly recommend SOLO Wilderness F/A. They teach the course up in North Conway but also through a variety of organizations all around the northeast. The proper knowledge of what to do and what not to do is more important than the specifics of what you carry.

I carry bandaids, ACE bandage, tape, gauze, protective gloves, some pain medicines, my Epi-Pen (I'm alergic to bees) and Benadryl, cravats, webbing straps (for splints), SOAP notes forms, and I usually have my Crazy Creek chair (splints, insulation from the ground). On group day trips I include a small sleeping bag and/or tarp for an extended stay out.

I've seen and treated cuts, scrapes, bee stings, an axe imbedded in a foot, a broken leg, broken fingers, hypothermia, heat exhaustion, and some folks just not feeling well.

-dave-

Likewise, the Hulbert Outdoor Center (Aloha Foundation) in Fairlee VT (not far from Hanover NH) offers a variety of courses from FA on up to EMT level.

I don't need an epi-pen and, after a number of past VFTT discussions on WFA, I'd be disinclined to carry one for others without explicit training in its use.

Moleskin. Tick tweezers.

Bandaids - about 5 different sizes
Bacitracin
Ace Bandage(s)
Drugs - Advil, Pepto, Immodium, Benadryl, Zyrtec (seasonal allegies) - Paradox - don't you need a prescription for epinephrin??
Moleskin - although it needs to be a real nice day for me to stop for blisters...I walk thru them.
Tincture of Benzoin
Bandages
Multi tool - scissors are indispensable
Bivy Bag (which can double as a body bag :eek: )
I often, but not always carry a sleeping pad - important insulation if you need to sit awhile and wait for help - also as Dave stated, they can be used as splints.
Nail clippers - I have found them worth having a few times...helpful if you tear a nail on a rock or tree or need to get creative with a splinter.

Potassium cyanide - in case things look hopeless. :D :eek: :D :eek:

On my never ending list of things to do - is to take a good wilderness first aid course...I carry the stuff, I read a lot, but that kind of training is indispensable.

sapblatt said:
Paradox - don't you need a prescription for epinephrin??
Mike, the general public call Paradox "Dr." therefore, his "have access to" reference.

In certain areas I've bought and carried a snakebit kit, adhesive tape is standard equipment and, as Dave mentioned, having protective gloves is something that you should always have -- I learned to carry some in my car glove box. Hey, you never know.

bubba said:
Mike, the general public call Paradox "Dr." therefore, his "have access to" reference.

In certain areas I've bought and carried a snakebit kit, adhesive tape is standard equipment and, as Dave mentioned, having protective gloves is something that you should always have -- I learned to carry some in my car glove box. Hey, you never know.

Light dawns on Marble Head - thanks bubba - did not know about the "DR."

This could be the first instance in the history of automobiles that someone actually put gloves in a glove box.

I just take a small first aid pack with me with the typical stuff in it - I have some formal trianing via the army so I hope thats enought to deal with any situation - been pretty lucky so far. I think I could deal with minor issues.

I usually take a cell phone with me - I don't buy this crap that its unethical to bring. if ya need help, it will save time and effort to get you help fast and in the most efficient manner. Plus - it allows for 1900 numbers to pass the time while your waiting to be rescued :eek:

I usually carry a fairly large first aid kit including a small backcountry medical guide. I have been a W first responder for several years now, the best stuff I've gotten from the certifications is how to AVOID being in a situation that required the training.

While I've never been party to a major injury or illness in the backcountry, I have used my training with regards to hypothermia and frostbite several times (generally early recognition and prevention). On two occassions I was able to recognize and treat the early stages of hypothermia in my dog. :eek:

When I fell about a month ago and cut my shin I was very glad to have alcohol wipes, large bandages, tape and a large quantity of ibuprofen with me.

Oh yeah, and blisters! I'm a PRO with moleskin and tape! Whew, how'd I forget that one?? :eek:

Last edited:
No specific "first aid" equipment, but enough multi-use stuff (like duct tape) that I could easily fashion a splint, sling, tourniquet, bandage, etc. I s'pose I ought to add a couple of sterile pads and an alcohol wipe or two, but the closest I've come to giving first aid on the trail was giving advice on how to tape over a blister.
Oh, I do carry one of those reflective emergency bags. Other than discovering that they're very fragile (shredded one trying to pull it over my sleeping bag one cold night), I've no idea how useful they are. Anybody ever use one?

nartreb said:
Oh, I do carry one of those reflective emergency bags. Other than discovering that they're very fragile (shredded one trying to pull it over my sleeping bag one cold night), I've no idea how useful they are. Anybody ever use one?

Not exactly, but I have seen someone use a reflective silver "suit" (oversize pants and shirt) to great advantage one Labor Day coming down from Mt. Washington when an ice storm hit. It held up in the wind. I never thought it would.

I added a "Sam Splint" to my pack last year. I got it from an EMT, but have seen them for sale at EMS. It's a splint, comes in a roll. When you straighten it out and form it around a limb, it stiffens and stabilizes the injured area. It's very lightweight, too.

Paradox is a dentist. As far as I am concerned, there are no contraindications to epinephrine for an anaphalactic reaction, that follows an insect sting. Without it they die, within minutes. Yes, everyone should get trained in its use, but honestly, the training for this takes minutes. I feel more comfortable with giving someone a quadracep injection with an epi-pen than I would giving someone CPR. I've never done either, in a real life situation.

Don't worry I won't be bringing my root canal files or extraction forceps on the Pound the Presis. :D

David Metsky said:
No amount of first aid equipment is going to help you if you don't have proper training. I highly recommend SOLO Wilderness F/A. -
That's the first thing I did when I decided to get back into backpacking, knowing I'd also be responsible for my young posse.

David Metsky said:
... my Epi-Pen (I'm alergic to bees) and Benadryl...
I had my first allergic reaction about 1 1/2 years ago, went through the desensitization therapy and have since been stung again (stepped on a ground nest and got 3 hits hiking here by myself last spring :rolleyes: ) with no reaction, but I still carry the epi-pens and benadryl.

People seem concerned about bear in the woods. A more realistic concern is unexpected allergic reactions. I believe many Doc's would give you a prescription for Epi-pens if you explained you were leading a group in the woods. I realize there is liability. Some will argue carrying extra meds "just in case" is akin to carrying a gun, not a problem for me and mine.

nartreb said:

Regarding those "emergency blankets," I don't usually carry the real flimsy kind (that can fold into a 3x6 inch square), but I always carry a somewhat bulkier version in the winter - it is almost like a real thin tarp, reflective on one side and bright red on the other. It is quite flexible and lightweight, and quite durable, although somewhat bulky. It does a fabulous job of keeping my butt dry, if not warm, when eating lunch on a snowy log (if I bother to pull it out). But, the main thing I wanted to note was that it actually provides some measurable warmth when I'm wrapped up in it. I used it (very skeptically at first) when I was sitting in the snow all morning monitoring eagle visits to a moose carcass in northern Maine one March. I wrapped my legs and lower torso in it as I sat in the snow, and I definitely noticed that I was warmer than when I took it off. I don't know if it was the wind blocking qualities or the actual reflection of my body heat, but I was pleasantly surprised. It probably made my legs feel all of 5-10 degrees warmer.

Last edited:
Chip said:
...I believe many Doc's would give you a prescription for Epi-pens if you explained you were leading a group in the woods...
I asked my doc for one, for personal use in case of emergency, and he said no way. I explained to him the possibility of being stung repeatedly in the middle of nowhere, still no luck!

does anyone know if these pens are "tailored" to suit ones individual needs? meaning potential for more severe reaction = more meds in the pen.

I would suggest some chewable baby asprin. I carry it for possible cardiac problems. After checking that the person has no allergies to asprin giving 4 for a total of 325 mg is the standard treatment in my state. I would try to get permission from a doctor by phone or radio if that was possible.

Paradox, I also carry cavit which I find to be very effective for a crown that has fallen off or filling that falls out. I'm sure you would have lots better stuff though for dental emergencies.

As far as CPR. It is something that everyone should be trained in. Recognize its limited use in the wilderness though.

It might be that time of year to review some medical info. :D :eek:

An old medical thread

Keith

keepin' on said:
I asked my doc for one, for personal use in case of emergency, and he said no way. I explained to him the possibility of being stung repeatedly in the middle of nowhere, still no luck!

does anyone know if these pens are "tailored" to suit ones individual needs? meaning potential for more severe reaction = more meds in the pen.

No tailored pens, there are two sizes, .15 for children and .30 for adults. It is not uncommon to use 2 or three for an adult (suffering a severe reaction) until a line (IV) can be gotten in so that epi can be given that route.

Also, being stung isn't the reason to have or use one. Even multiple times. Having an anaphylactic reaction is. That reaction can occur from many sources. Number one reason for an anaphylactic reaction is contact with nuts or nut products.

epi is not candy and it does have very serious side effect (on the heart and vascular system) but there are no contraindication in someone suffering from anaphylaxis. Key is making sure that someone is having an anaphylactic reaction and not just a reaction.

Keith

Last edited:
I have gone into anaphylactic shock twice, then went through the shots to build up my resistance and I've been stung since without any serious reaction. But I still carry an Epi-Pen and my DR makes sure it's not expired. A friend got accidently shot with one while doing a F/A demo with what she thought was a practice pen. It's definately not candy, there was an immediate and kinda scary reaction for someone not suffering from anaphylactic shock.

If someone knows they are alergic they should carry a pen. If they don't know it, you probably shouldn't be giving them one. However, if I had mine with me and saw someone in trouble, I'd be hard pressed not to offer mine. But you also need to know how to treat after that, Benadryl, evac, etc.

To me, training (and more training, and retraining) is the most important thing. I redo my WFA every two years, and it's amazing how much you forget between them and how much the SOP changes over time.

-dave-