Is there a "right" kind of compass?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I don't own a compass. (your collective hiking safety faux pas gasp is audible from here ;) ). I have used a compass rose, parallel ruler and a compass (the tool with two sharp points) to plot a sailing course on a nautical chart but I haven't ever used a compass in the woods. I'd like to experiment with using a compass but I have no idea what is the "right" kind of compass to get.

Any recommendations, suggestions, experiences to share in learning about compass use would be great.

Thanks.

Toe Cozy said:
I don't own a compass. (your collective hiking safety faux pas gasp is audible from here ;) ). I have used a compass rose, parallel ruler and a compass (the tool with two sharp points) to plot a sailing course on a nautical chart but I haven't ever used a compass in the woods. I'd like to experiment with using a compass but I have no idea what is the "right" kind of compass to get.

Any recommendations, suggestions, experiences to share in learning about compass use would be great.

Thanks.
You almost never need a compass, right gang? And you've made it this far w/o one, so why get one now!? :eek: :D

Seriously, you can get a light-weight compass at almost any outfitter. I have one that attaches to a clip inside my pack, so it's really hard to lose. I actually have 2 compasses, the 2nd one is on a multi-purpose tool.

Bushwhackers usually bring more than one.

There are courses you can take to learn navigational skills. I'm sure someone will add details.

Tom Rankin said:
You almost never need a compass, right gang? And you've made it this far w/o one, so why get one now!? :eek: :D
If you only stick to marked trails and Summer hiking then I'd agree that it's not completely necessary unless you have a knack for losing the trail.

But... it's nice to have a compass since you'll probably use it for fun or for real in the future anyway.

I personally prefer and would recommend getting one that has adjustable declination - you won't have to add or subtract everytime you read the compass and that just makes life simpler.

Toe Cozy said:
I'd like to experiment with using a compass but I have no idea what is the "right" kind of compass to get.
Start with a cheap one, but with a rotating ring and a fluid dampened needle. All the hip bushwhackers wear them on a string around their neck. :)

Something like THIS

10 bucks should do it.

The main point to look for is that it should point north. Seriously, there's not much to know about compasses for basic "did I take the wrong turn in the fog?" use. A larger-diameter compass tends to allow more precise readings, but that may be moot if your trail wiggles a bunch and you have no landmarks to sight on. Some have a bezel you can adjust for local declination (about fifteen degrees in NH, IIRC), or to "dial in" a desired heading.
I've got a flat, clear plastic model that glows in the dark and includes a ruler and a magnifying glass for map-reading; I think I paid ten bucks for it. [Edit: it's quite similar to the one Neil suggested.] I keep it in a front pocket (and leashed to my belt) so I can check it frequently (at least every half hour if I'm on an unfamiliar trail or visibility is poor) - the idea is to know my position and direction *before* I get lost.

Last edited:
There are different kinds of compasses too.

I use a
Brunton 8096

Compass which has a basic (not that useful) UTM grid on it. Some GPS SA stuff which is useless now that SA is off, but what I do find somewhat useful is the extended ruler on the edge, you can extend it out so that you have a long straight-edge. When plotting bearings on a map with the magnetic north gridlines marked on it, the extention to the straight edge is useful. Many maps don't come with the magnetic north grid on it but the NYNJTC ones for the catskills do or you can make them yourself.

Other than that, a basic lay-flat compass is useful.

A basic lensatic compass is better at taking visual bearings to landmarks (useing the mirror'ed lenscap and sight) but is not needed for the most part, you can obviously still take bearings with a basic compass, just not as accurate over longer distances as a lensatic one.

Jay

cbcbd said:
I personally prefer and would recommend getting one that has adjustable declination - you won't have to add or subtract everytime you read the compass and that just makes life simpler.
On adjusting for declination - while that makes life easier in terms of the math - there is one caveat: it's a good idea to make/tape some note to the compass if the declination has been altered from its factory setting. Otherwise, if later you pick it up, or someone else does, they make correct for declination again, and now you're WAY off! It can be difficult to determine whether a compass has been 'corrected' for declination simply by looking at it. I believe Freedom of the Hills recommends changing the declination on adjustable compasses, but I strongly disagree, both for the reason I mentioned above, and especially if you travel from East to West coasts, where the declination is added rather than substracted. My own preference is to leave the compass alone (leave at factory setting) and that way I have confidence in it. After all, the declination is always in the legend of a map. But, you do have to remember to either add or subtract, depending upon which side of the Mississippi (roughly) you're on.

I agree with some of the above. I'd start with a cheapie, just to get the idea. Take a basic map and compass course from any local hiking group, or go with some of the intrepid and skilled bushwackers here. Like most equipment, if you start with something cheap and use it for a while, you'll quickly learn what features you want in a better unit.

If you decide to do a lot of off trail travel, and you want to be more accurate, then pick up a better compass. Features that help are larger dials, adjustable declination, sighting mirrors, etc. I have a Silva Ranger that I got at a discount for about 30 bucks, and it's all I need.

(Kevin, I've always had good luck with adjusting the declination. But it's easy to see the adjustment on my compass, so maybe that's why. I like making the adjustment, because I never have to think about it unless I go to a different area. And the tiny screwdriver is right on the compass lanyard, so it's always easy to change it.)

TCD

Toe Cozy,
Congratulations on deciding to get a compass.
But, by no means is using a compass a "walk in the park" (sorry, I just couldn;t help it).

It does take work, knowledge and practice to really operate one, (I'm not talking about simply finding North here...)

I would strongly suggest you start out with a simple one as Neil refers to and if as you learn the basics, you decide you'd like the mechanics of adjustable declination and sighting mirrors, purchase a nicer orienteering compass which has these and more features.

I would also try to hook up with an orienteering group or if you belong to the AMC or ADK, see if any experienced users are offering a workshop.

To some folks, using a map & compass comes easy - To others it can be sheer confusion. Not that anyone on this board would ever do such a thing :eek: but finding you are not where you thought you were is never the best time to pull one out of your pack and learn how to use it.

I also like Kevin's point. I keep declinations for various favorite areas that I visit, taped to the back of my compass so I can quickly look them up and adjust. (Well, I don't really have to look them up anymore, since they are easy to memorize, but none the less, they are still taped there...)

If you have nautical navigational experience, then using a compass hiking should be pretty easy. Except, no nav table, no parallel ruler, and no dividers...

The simplest "serious" compass is a basic protracter compass, such as Neil suggested or
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...category_rn=4500598&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC
or
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...category_rn=4500598&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC.

Useful features are mirrors for more accurate sightings, luminous points for use in the dark, and declination adjustment (useful IMO--in any case you can just set it to zero if you want to do the magnetic to true conversion in your head). Skiers, those wishing to avoid avalanches, and geologists may also apreciate a clinometer (measures slope angles). The Silva Ranger is a classic which includes all of these features (I have one and have used it both on land and sea) http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...category_rn=4500598&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

There are also very simple compasses eg http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sea...98&query=*&text=1&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC:N which make good backups. I also have a very similar compass on a wrist strap which is good enough for holding a general heading while bushwacking.

Doug

TCD said:
<snip> I'd start with a cheapie, just to get the idea. <snip> if you start with something cheap and use it for a while, you'll quickly learn what features you want in a better unit.
TCD
I learned map & compass during a timber cruising course I took. We walked straight parallel lines criss-crossing a wood lot while stopping at predetermined distances to plot tree growth. For such accuracy we used expensive compasses with all the bells and whistles mentioned through out this thread.

Now that my passion is bushwhacking 3K peaks I've had to "unlearn" much of what I was taught. Today my compass points me in the general direction I want to travel and then I let the terrain guide me. No more marching in straight lines with utmost precision.

My compass of choice today? A $10.00 cheapie as described by Neil. (and yes, it hangs on a string from around my neck) :D :D

Onestep

Thanks everyone. This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for. The GMC (Green Mountain Club) offers compass skills courses. I should take advantage of that.

Originally Posted by Rick
Not that anyone on this board would ever do such a thing but finding you are not where you thought you were is never the best time to pull one out of your pack and learn how to use it.

This is exactly why I'd like to play around with the compass in a normal situation and be comfortable with it. I'm becoming interested in exploring places off trail more. Tired of sticking to the path. So far I've avoided this because of a fear of getting lost and panicked. Knowing how to use a compass will make me more comfortable with the idea of going off trail. Waiting for necessity is not the best way to learn how to use my gear effectively! Well, I also can't wait to wear one around my neck. I think it's gonna be a hot fashion trend!

onestep said:
Now that my passion is bushwhacking 3K peaks I've had to "unlearn" much of what I was taught. Today my compass points me in the general direction I want to travel and then I let the terrain guide me. No more marching in straight lines with utmost precision.
This is sufficient in many (most?) cases.

However, I have used the precision sighting and plotting on a map features several times. In one case, the trail had been moved (not reflected on the map), it was clear that it wasn't following the map, and I wanted to see where it was leading us. In another case, I was on a heavily treed ridge and I wanted to locate myself with a backbearing off a visible peak. Would I have been able to do a sufficient job with a simple protracter compass? Perhaps, but I appreciated the extra accuaracy in these situations.

Doug

Toe Cozy said:
Well, I also can't wait to wear one around my neck. I think it's gonna be a hot fashion trend!
IMO, wearing a compass around one's neck is a minor nuisance. It swings around, bangs into one's chest, and catches in the foliage when bushwacking. Much nicer if you can put the cord around your neck and the compass in a shirt pocket. (But they don't tend to put pockets on hiking tee shirts... :( ) You can also just stick it inside your shirt or between layers to stop the swinging.

Doug

Last edited:
An added thought

Check the size of the numbers/letters in a dark corner of the store. Some of them are such a fine print they can be difficult to read when out there somewhere.

I usually stuff the compass in my shirt when bushwacking and not needing the compass at the moment.

My brunton's view is magnefied and also instead of lining up the rose with the north, it uses two circles which I find easier to do in low light.

Jay

DougPaul said:
IMO, wearing a compass around one's neck is a minor nuisance. It swings around, bangs into one's chest, and catches in the foliage when bushwacking. Much nicer if you can put the cord around your neck and the compass in a shirt pocket. (But they don't tend to put pockets on hiking tee shirts... :( ) You can also just stick it inside your shirt or between layers to stop the swinging.

Doug
I've never had that problem. I can't remember if I let it dangle free or if I put it under my sternum strap. I think the former. I do remember putting it inside my shirt once and it came out all gooey with sweat.