Views from the not-quite-top

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Looking for some great winter views, but not far above tree-line with no escape hatch. I'll be hiking alone, trying to be the responsible husband, blah blah blah. So I'm looking for a hike where I can enjoy the great views, take some pix, eat lunch, but where good cover is nearby. For example, summit of Mt Pierce has nice views, but you can easily run back into the trees if things get interesting. I was also thinking of Madison Hut area. How far is it from the good views of the Great Gulf to the cover of the Valley Way trees? Any other ideas?

Tom Rankin said:
As I recall, Lincoln is just barely above tree line. That might be a good option.

I think (hope) you meant Liberty. Lincoln doesn't have a quick escape route, except the slide :eek:

If you did mean Liberty, then yes, that's a good option. Thanks.

You can get good views from the Madison Springs hut area as long as the clouds aren't too thick. It may get windy up there, but from the hut to the trees it is only about a 2 minute walk. Check out Star Lake and Mt Quincy Adams.

I was up there last weekend, and it was like two different worlds once you passed the yellow "Warning, this area has the worst weather in America" sign. On one side you were on a nice sheltered trail, on the other side the wind came whipping over Adams and into the col. The hut isn't open but it does provide shelter from the wind. It is usually a popular spot on weekends if the weather is okay, so even if you're alone at least there should be others in the area.

My choices would be (not all in the Whites)

Monadnock
Liberty
Garfield (it's 12 miles RT so quick may not be right but the trees are close)
Jackson
Willard
Madison Hut as Mo mentioned
The Quay on Lowe's
Kearsarge North
Greylock
Greenleaf Hut
Kinsman's - not sure if technically South is above treeline but great view
Zealcliff
Moriah (a bit open from Stony Brook, more cover on C-M, maybe more broken out via Stony Brook though)

Best easy views

I was really impressed with the views from Cannon (Profile) Mountain. You can even take the ski lift up and down- escape can't be easier then that! Also - snack bar on top. But really, the views are fantastic-

All of the suggestions above from others are excellent choices. You might also consider these:

Harvard Rock (just off the Boott Spur Trail, and very close to tree line)
Jewell Trail to the viewpoint just as you break out of tree line
Chocorua and/or Middle Sister
Sandwich Dome and/or Jennings Peak
Mt. Parker (via Mt. Langdon Trail beginning in Bartlett)

Welcome, 1HappyHiker :)

The weekend forecast is looking pretty good at this point, especially Sunday.

Mt. Webster and Mt. Jackson can be hiked as a nice loop. Each summit barely pokes up above treeline. Views from Mt. Jackson are stunning.

Champney Falls Trail to the Sisters would be great, but I have been pinned down on the summit of Chocorua twice in winter. The wind was ferocious and I had to tuck into rocks and wait.

Harvard Rock and Mt. Parker also fit the bill.

Both of these hikes will have other hikers on the trails this weekend, so you can be alone without be too alone. Try running these by the Director Of Operations ;)

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
Concerning doing a loop of Mt. Jackson & Mt. Webster, there might be a problem.

I hiked up Mt. Jackson on Wednesday (21-Feb) and the Webster Branch of the Webster-Jackson Trail had definitely not been broken out since the Valentine Day snowstorm. Also, from what I could observe from the summit of Jackson, it appeared that the Webster Cliff Trail had either not been broken out, or if it had been, it has since drifted over.

Smaller peaks with good views: fifty-two with a view

Here are some that rise above the trees but not by much, perfect when the weather cooperates:
For a barely-above-treeline loop, try the Baldfaces (there's a short detour possible to avoid some ledges on South Baldface). For a taste of wind and stunning views, try Cardigan (take the easy approach from the west). Going all the way to the summit of Chocorua sounds like a bit more exposure than you're looking for, but there are some other viewpoints nearby that might fit the bill - one of the Sisters maybe?.
Oh, has anyone mentioned Shelburne Moriah?

Last edited:
Kinsman comes to mind. Liberty. I liked Waumbek/Starr King. There are 2 bald peaks above Crawford notch just over treeline whose names escape me, Webster & Pierce ? Madison hut is a good. By the time you are there though Madison summit is only a half hour or less away. So I would put Madison in the category (a safe distance from shelter). Craig Camp above King Ravine has fabulous views and is right at the treeline. That could be a great day destination. For safety, if you check the forecasts and we have good weather, and you are well prepared for winter travel in the woods, there is really nothing unsafe about these peaks. Are you limited to NH ? Vermont has several options. Camel's hump, Mt Hunger and Belvidere are ideal. Mansfield via long trail from Smugglers is a little steep at the top but not too much over tree line hiking. The ADKs have even more. Hurricane, Giant, Cascade/Porter, Noonmark and many, many more.

I was up on Garfield a couple of weekends ago and the views were spectacular! It's made my top ten for hikes in the Whites : )
kmac

I almost forgot Carrigain. It's fantastic in the winter. Entails a bit of extra hiking with the road closed, but worth it. There will likely be skiers and winter campers on the road, so it's not as remote as it looks.