Something interesting and new: Basin and Saddleback via Chicken Coop Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alavigne

Reaction score
Something interesting and new: Basin and Saddleback via Chicken Coop Brook [03/13/07]

Mark and Linda invited us on an ascent of Basin via the Chicken Coop Brook approach (which I'd never even heard of!) yesterday. I needed Basin for my winter 46ers, and Jenn needed Basin AND Saddleback, so we agreed to join them to Basin and then tack on Saddleback afterwards.

Well... I must say, this was a great approach route. Mark and Linda had beta on the state of the route, and had heard that two parties had broken it out well. This was indeed the case, and we followed an excellent track that stays mostly in the bed of the brook. At the top, it breaks out onto a steep slide coming down right off the summit rocks of Saddleback. Fantastic! Basin was great too, and the climb up the Saddleback cliffs wasn't too bad either. A lot of variety and fun on this hike.

Full report with pictures can be found here.

Last edited:
alavigne said:
Mark and Linda invited us on an ascent of Basin via the Chicken Coop Brook approach (which I'd never even heard of!) yesterday. I needed Basin for my winter 46ers, and Jenn needed Basin AND Saddleback, so we agreed to join them to Basin and then tack on Saddleback afterwards.

Well... I must say, this was a great approach route. Mark and Linda had beta on the state of the route, and had heard that two parties had broken it out well. This was indeed the case, and we followed an excellent track that stays mostly in the bed of the brook. At the top, it breaks out onto a steep slide coming down right off the summit rocks of Saddleback. Fantastic! Basin was great too, and the climb up the Saddleback cliffs wasn't too bad either. A lot of variety and fun on this hike.

Full report with pictures can be found here.

Excellent as always!

A shout out to Mark and Linda!

I went down that way last winter. It seemed to last forever! The trail meandered around the valley. I was tired and frustrated, but finally, glad to see the lean-to! :)

Great report and pictures Andrew. I'm always impressed with how much detail you put into your site report and pictures. I also really liked your detailed report on Mt Arrowsmith, Vancouver island. I'm planning to climb that one day.
-Phil

prino said:
Great report and pictures Andrew. I'm always impressed with how much detail you put into your site report and pictures. I also really liked your detailed report on Mt Arrowsmith, Vancouver island. I'm planning to climb that one day.
-Phil

Why thank you - very kind words.

I'm glad you mentioned Vancouver Island and its peaks. I think anyone here who likes the Adirondacks would love the mountains on Vancouver Island. Strathcona park especially - tons of peaks in the 5000, 6000 and 7000 foot range. Rugged, but not too high, lots of solitude, amazing scenery. It is like the Adirondacks with two shots of extra ruggedness and 1/1000th of the traffic.

Anyone interested in visiting? I feel like going back now! I especially liked our hike up Kings Peak.

(Kings Peak climb report - click here)