Add 'em up!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea ! It was such a busy year on a personal level, and then the surgery kept me away from the trails...

All I know is that I did fun stuff like the Lincoln's Slide, I discovered the Presidentials and the Catskills, and I did many trailess peaks.

Great year overall, I'm expecting 2008 to be even more exciting :D

Happy New Year !

Did about 70 peaks this year, mostly thanks to people getting me off my butt. Doing some math, I averaged about 15 peaks a year over an 8 year span prior to getting on this board.

A few more on trails than bushwhacks.

40+ in VT, 15+ in NH, and a handful in ME and NY.

Hightlights:Wedding on whiteface, Katahdin w/ Marc and Stephen, whacking up North Twin instead of peak above the nubble with Greenleaf, and playing hookie with Damon to do a beautiful day of whackin on the Monastery ridge and Goshen.

I climbed 627 mountains, 671 of them solo, in 58 states and 6 countries with a total vertical ascent of 212,613 metres... a sub-par year for me.

My 2008 goal is to hit all the county high points of Delaware.

I'd like to thank all the previous posters for making the case with my wife that I don't hike too often, nor am I too obsessed. I owe you one!

Tim
(15 new 4Ks on the NH 48 list this year, 1 repeat albeit my 1st winter 4K, and a bunch of repeat/little stuff with the kids.)

Hiked 350+ Miles
Gained 109000+ Feet of Elevation
Bagged:
64 "Peaks" (Includes drive up state high points)
22 46ers
12 NH 48
47 NE115
2 Cat 35 (the 2 4k ones)
12 ADK Fire Tower Challenge
4 state high points

I was lucky enough to enjoy 62/64 of these summits with my wife Nicole. This year has been great for both of us since we both pushed each other to hike more and more.

I'm a bit of a nerd so I keep track of all my stats with a website instead of a spreadsheet.

Stats: http://www.speeddent.com/hiking.php?user=1&list=all (might take a while to load)

Rest of Site: http://www.speeddent.com/hiking.php

As yet another obsessive list maker and keeper, I tend to focus on miles and numbers of days out, not necessarily peaks... That being said, we did hit Stratton and Killington to add to our 100Highest and 4000footer lists.

2007 came in as a year in which Snowman and I hiked 368.2 miles (319.7 of which were on the AT), I ran 475.75 miles and xc skiied 24 days. All in all, a happy outdoorsy year :D

Congrats to Doodles for finishing a section hike of the AT! We hope to join the ranks next year. Our biggest push last year, and will be in 2008, to work on our remaining 250+ miles on the AT in an attempt to finish up soon. With fingers crossed, and barring injuries,etc, we hope to top out on Katahdin this coming September!

almost there for winter NH 4K

for Jan 1 - Dec 31 2007 I completed 11 of NH4K Winter. But i don't tend to remember my winter peaks that way (it's Dec 20 something - March something, of course).

I did hike a couple mountains in ADK for the first time, and I understand that they are on some list
:rolleyes:

but i chose them because of their "reduced spire measure". http://www.peaklist.org/spire/

I thoroughly enjoyed the NEHH in any season in 06. Please overlook my heresy but this winter NH4K list is the last list for me. 5 more peaks to go.

I now enjoy bringing newcomers along, often only Part-way up mountains, gasp! :eek:

e.g. after enjoying the views from the Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf hut is a fine place to stop and turn around. Share the love with some novice hikers who are not quite as obsessive-compulsive as me, i think.

just as technology is meant to serve me, and not vice-versa, The lists serve me, not v-v.

I do admire others obsessive-compulsive feats though. You all are an inspiration.

Peace

I'm not sure/didn't keep a good count. But I did get out quite a bit. Also, I hiked more this summer than previous years (I tend to bicycle more in summer months)... I hiked more this summer because I had a pinched nerve which prevented me from biking for about half the summer :(

But anyways.. One highlight was biking across Ohio (N to S) in early summer (before the pinched nerve prob). This was a great ride!!

Hikingwise, I hiked mainly in the Adirondacks and the Catskills and got out every w/e that I could (when I wasn't biking or dealing w/the pinched nerve).

Made some new friends and saw some old friends... :)

Last edited:
Good ole lucky number 7

Madison via valley way, and Jefferson via castles in January
Colden in March, with an attempt on Algonquin via a WI 4 slide climb that was incomplete
Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, Az in May
Mt Colden via trap dyke, gray, marcy

only doing 7 has paid off in more ways than one...

I managed to stay both married and employed but still found time for about 20 mountains all over the map - from the British Virgin Islands to Nevada.

It was a great hiking year (my 4th) for me. Made it up to 111 summits, 69 of which I had never been to before. Finished the NH4Ks in February on Carrigain and got within striking distance of finishing the Y-Alpine 100, the 52 With a View and the T-3000 lists. Also started to do some bushwhacking, most notably on Mendon Peak (summer and winter), West Scar Ridge (well, to about a quarter mile from the summit anyways), Middle and West Osceola, and Mt Hale.

But perhaps the highlight of the year was all the new friends I made on hikes :)

For me it was a pretty weak hiking year. :( My weakest on record for me, only 8 peaks total.

I focused much more on running and taking care of work issues and family matters this year. For 2008 I plan on finishing the NE67 and grabbing more NEHH peaks, and just doing some fun hikes.

I am sooooo not a record keeper!!

Great year for me as I recall starting early getting in my first hike/ski on Killington at G9.5 :D following Ascutney (whatever that's worth... but sharing with friends the best!).

Another winter peak (well... almost) on Upper Wolfjaw. I'll consider that an accomplishment as I really love winter hikes but hate doing it! :eek:

Seashore hike at Darren's surprise party with Carmel... what really could be better?? (Yeah, HE stayed home, with crutches - ha!)

Another highlight was being at Mount Hood on Wednesday and then in Tuckerman's on Sunday. Saw lots of mountains and USFS places in a month!! First time in Olympic Mtns and observed Mt. St. Helens - awesome!

Then, let's say that this was the not-to-be-forgotten hike -- a hike up Tux on May 3rd complete with fall/rescue/injury! Seriously, I could just as well as not killed myself. Luckily I just broke and tore some things and had some wonderful people helping me off the mountain.

Getting back in the ADK's for the Grace Memorial Hike was outstanding as I did two ADK 4Ks (repeats) but new trail down. Good to be back on the trail!! On the way I hit a FireTower hike on Bald Mtn.

Saw some more ADK HH with a McKenzie and Noonmark hike - 1st for both. Saw both an easy hike (Mt Crag) on a great hike (Kings Ravine) in NH at G9.9999. Again, it's about the people...

Finished with another HH late in the fall in southern ADKs on Pillsbury - and added another Fire Tower at the same time! ;) A special hike as this was the first peak with my 2 year old Airedale, Cooper!

Also had some fine yak and bike trips, so it was a stellar year from my perspective. Best to all in the year ahead!

After reading some of the posts on this thread I decided that in 2008 I would use a 1 foot col rule and a 6 inch separation rule. I figure this will enable me to rack up some impressive numbers.

50+ Days out climbing
157 Routes (64 Onsight, 24 Redpoint).

First 5.9 onsight. First Gunks 5.7.
First 5.11 sport onsight.

First Backcountry climbs in the Adks.

First WI2 Lead.
First WI3 Lead.

6 State Highpoints (5 with my family :)) RI, (IA, OH, DE, MS, PA)

Colden did his first 4Ker. (Hunter)

3 new ADKs. 1 Repeat.
1 VT.
1 Catties.

www.percious.com v2.0 released.

I guess my outdoor adventuring is headed in a different direction... Goal for 2008: 200+ routes, 100 onsight/redpoints.

-percious