Things to do in Baxter SP this winter...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I'm going to have some off-days in and around Millinocket soon, in between two separate trips in Baxter from Jan 29th to Feb 2nd... I'll probably get a motel in Millinocket for some nice R&R but looking at fun stuff to do that isn't too taxing... Skiing into a lake or along the tote roads to falls and stuff... I have a winter ascent of Katahdin on the 2nd/3rd so I'm looking at doing stuff to have fun between 2 trips. All tips are welcome, any good snowshoes to below treeline summits (I will be solo) or good flatish XC Skis to places are welcome.

Thanks!
Jay

It's a gorgeous, flat ski on the AT along the Penobscot then up alongside Nesowadnehunk Stream with just a mild pitch to Little and Big Niagara Falls, the Toll Dam, and to Daicey Pond, where the last pitches there get a little steep and winding.

I can't say for certain, but you might be able to make a loop out of it by throwing in the Lost Pond and Foss and Knowlton Trails, but definitely get beta from someone more familiar than I for that leg.

A bit of an gournet aside, while in Millinocket plan on eating at the "river drivers restauraunt" one evening. Expensive but worth it. Its off a side road on the main road between Millinocket and East millinocket.

The other place to pick up a sandwich which is entirely unexpected is Giordettos. It off in a neighborhood across from the Millinocket Mill, hard to find but worth the trip.

Keep in mind the area is swarming with snowmachines this year, reservations for rooms are highly recomended. Bring some reflective clothing if you might be on a trail that snowmachines might use after dark

gulf hagus is a fantastic place to visit in winter. about 1/2 hour outside millinocket.
hey michaelj, - indian pitch on the AT - the sled killer!
go

MichaelJ, that looks doable, I just looked at my Baxter map.

How is the ski in to Abol Slide campground from Abol Bridge which I think is our starting point for the Katahdin trip. I have the option of skiing in but it has to be fairly gradual because 1)I'm not a great XC Skier (yet) 2)my sled does not have fins or brakes (wont need it for the first trip).

What is the usual route to Abol Slide campground from Abol Bridge? It appears one could take a short Abol Stream trail to the Tote Road that goes right by Abol Slide...

I imagine the Tote road is not too bad a ski and used by Snowmobiles in winter?

Jay

Jay,

The trip from Abol Bridge to the CG is pretty easy. The first mile is on a winter variation of the Abol Stream Trail. It is routinely snowsledded by rangers so it's usually in good shape. The very warm weather we've had the last few days probably has made it tough, but by the time your trip comes there will likely be plenty of snow again. So, follow that trail to the Tote Rd, passing Abol Beach (side trail) and some park housing (closed in winter). Head left on the Tote Rd and begin the biggish uphill. It's about 3 miles to Abol CG and is mostly flat after the first mile(ish) hill. :D

One of my favorite winter day trips in the park is to drive the Golden Rd. to the Telos Rd (check our your Gazetteer), head north for about 6 miles and park at the Williams Pond Rd. Ski to Nesowadnehunk (very easy skiing on often snowmobiled road - about 6-7 miles) and ski/snowshoe up to Doubletop. If aren't much of a skier, leave the skis at 'hunk and snowshoe up from there. It's about 4.5 miles to the summit from 'hunk and a great trip with awesome views of the western part of the park, the Katahdin massif and the Katahdinough. In particular, look for the Marston Slide on the Brothers. It's a long day but the skiing is fairly flat and easy.

Other than that, Michael's suggestion is a good one. If you do head that way, you might want to check out Sentinel Mountain. Is is an easy snowshoe from the AT and has great views of K.

You can also ski from Abol Bridge back to the Tote Rd. (the way you went on your K trip) but turn right on the Tote Rd. for a ways until you see the Rum Pond trail on your left (north side of Tote Rd.). You will have skied over the Abol esker which is often windblown and thin but very scenic. You can take the Rum Pond Trail, pass Rum Pond and pop out on the Tote Rd., north of Togue Pond (you might want your snowshoes for that trail). Then you ski back along the Tote Rd. to Abol Beach and then back to Abol Bridge.

Note that the Tote Rd is open to public snowmobile use everywhere except the stretch from Togue Pond north. But, the traffic is light compared to many sled trails and they do a nice job of packing it for easier skiing. Wave and be friendly back. If they blow by you, are rude or are drunk, it's likely b/c they are sled renters from elsewhere who don't know any better.

Have a great trip and if you think you might need a beer stop or a meal on your way through Bangor, drop me a line...

Thank you everybody, Spencer, that sounds perfect. Sounds like I have some perfect daytrips in mind. How is the parking by Abol Bridge, do I have to worry about permits and all that at the gate?

Jay

Jay H said:
How is the parking by Abol Bridge, do I have to worry about permits and all that at the gate?

Jay

There is plenty of parking. You can often park right by the beginning of the trail (up a little "driveway" and over a small hill) but sometimes you'll have to park across the street (next to all the snowmobile trailers) or next to the Abol Bridge store. You won't have trouble finding a spot.

You don't need a permit to park there but you'll need your regular BSP permit (really just a copy of your reservations). Don't forget your driver's license, too. I saw a ranger make someone ski back to the car from almost all the way to Roaring Brook b/c they guy didn't have his ID...

Spencer

Spencer, could you fill me in what is needed for the BSP permit then? these daytrips that I am planning are for the days inbetween backcountry trips to Nesowadnehunk cabin and Abol Slide campground (in a leanto). I'm staing in a hotel in Millinocket on the 29th through feb 1st but the days I plan on doing daytrips from Abol Bridge parking based on all of the suggestions I'm gathering here. I need to get a permit to get into the park at some gate.. would this gate be before the Abol Bridge parking I guess and is this something I need to get up at god-awful early in the morning to do? I'm confused with all this Baxter stuff, I've never been there.

Jay

Jay,

You can read through the nitty gritty here but the gist is:

you don't need a permit for day use below treeline. So, if you want to do the Doubletop trip or a ski in from Abol Bridge around Rum Pond, you don't need to do anything special. You do still have to self-register at the kiosk on your way in. After skiing about 1/2 mile from Abol Bridge you'll see a brown sign and registration kiosk on the left of the trail (you can't miss it). You just write your name and plans on the list and sign back out when you leave. There are no real gates in the winter, so you'll drive to Abol Bridge like you drive to the grocery store at home. Park you car and start having the time of your life.

For overnight or day trips above treeline, you'll need to go through the whole reseration/permit process, but I suspect you already have that taken care of for your other trip.

The gate people talk about getting up early to wait at is Togue Pond and that only applied so the summer/fall season. You can only get to it by sledding or skiing in the winter.

hope this helps...
spencer

need I suggest the obvious?

La Casa for a nice Mexican dinner?

OK, that's the second time I've heard of that...

La Casa De Fiesta Restaurant
Route 157 East Millinocket
Millinocket, ME 04462
(207) 746-3321

I assume that is the house? :)

Jay

spencer said:
There is plenty of parking. You can often park right by the beginning of the trail (up a little "driveway" and over a small hill) but sometimes you'll have to park across the street (next to all the snowmobile trailers) or next to the Abol Bridge store. You won't have trouble finding a spot.
According to Rob the Alpine Ranger (that's what they're calling the Chimney Pond rangers now) the parking lot in the gravel pit (up the little "driveway") is the last place to be plowed after a storm. They plow the Golden Road first for the logging trucks, then the Abol parking lot for the snow sledders, then finally the road and the pit. The rangers park in the pit, and we did, too, but you're taking a chance if it snows, especially without 4WD.

It started snowing there around 2 p.m. on Monday, and as of Tuesday morning (today) the radio weather report said it was still snowing. Think VERY SERIOUS avy conditions anywhere above treeline--it rained hard at all elevations on Friday, then froze, all before the big snowfall. Hamlin Ridge was just glazed rocks on Sunday, and the gullies were almost completely boilerplate. They would not have made very good escape routes! :eek:

Mad Townie said:
It started snowing there around 2 p.m. on Monday, and as of Tuesday morning (today) the radio weather report said it was still snowing. Think VERY SERIOUS avy conditions anywhere above treeline--it rained hard at all elevations on Friday, then froze, all before the big snowfall. Hamlin Ridge was just glazed rocks on Sunday, and the gullies were almost completely boilerplate. They would not have made very good escape routes! :eek:
Thanks for the info, all (except Giggy...I just lost my appetite for Mexicali :eek: ...)
We're doing this overnight for Katahdin Feb 2 with Acadia Mountain Guides. There is some basic mountaineering instruction included and I'm sure if we can't summit due to conditions there'll be additional Avi training, so it's all good.

Well, hopefully it looks that by this weekend, winter will be here in the NE and hopefully it will stay cold....

I just hope there is enough snow on the tote roads so I can use my sled... I don't care if I snowshoe with it, I suspect that AMG wont want us to ski it...

Jay