Carrying GPS on pack strap?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Can folks share what they use to carry their GPS units on the shoulder harness of packs?
I have a 60CSX. I use the Glisson neoprene & clear plastic as a starting point. I find that the materials don't hold up well to use and bushwhacking, so I cover the entire holder with duct tape. The problem is that it tightens the holder and in cold weather, makes the GPS unit hard to get in and out of it.

Is there a good alternative to carry the GPS right on the harness? Something with enough rear attachments to work with a variety of pack harnesses?
Garmin has a small clip that screws into the back of the GPS. Although a couple of friends use this successfully, I am concerned about losing the GPS or breaking off the connection in adverse conditions.

I had a similar question, only about a shoulder strap camera case. Would it fit in such a beast? I ended up with a Mountainsmith small digital camera case. My requirement was it would work vertically mounted on my pack's shoulder strap, to the side, and out of the way of the waterfall of sweat :eek:

Mountainsmith Cyber II Compact Camera Case

BLK01.jpg

I liked the case enough that I bought a smaller camera to fit it. The old one had humidity problems anyway.

HTH,
Tim

Or, you might be able to leave the zipper part way undone. If it's not raining or snow-y, I don't usually bother with the zipper -- the Velcro is quite strong.

Tim

JanSport used to make a nice little vertical pack pocket which attached to the shoulder strap. The newer model might work. You might also be able to find a camera case or cell-phone case to do the job.

Doug

I have the GPS Map60CS. In most cases during good weather I just have it on the rotating clip on the outside, side of my pack. I also have the small hand loop hooked to a carabiner to keep from losing it should it become dislodged. I also use an amplified external antenna with my unit which has yet to lose a signal even in heavier canopy.

During the colder months, or when bushwhacking, I simply put my unit inside of the pack. I only really use it for emergency headings and recording a track of all my hikes. Having the external antenna allows me to do this w/o worrying about losing the signal (I have something like a 25 foot lead on it). If I need to use the GPS while moving I run it under my arm (the antenna lead, that is) and hook it somewhere in front.

Oh, yeah, and most important, I made a little shelf out of some coat hanger wire that the external antenna sits on to keep it oriented level for best reception.

2185624480100209210S600x600Q85.jpg

Kevin

I use the Garmin GPS nylon carrying case. I usually carry mine on the hipbelt adjustment strap, but it could also be fastened to the shoulder strap. My 60CSX will receive inside the case even with the zipper closed. Another great item I've used is a Ripoffs brand belt clip case. It has a velcro flap that holds the GPS in the case while the antenna remains exposed.

Kevin

After years of many pocket, pouches and complicated attachments I finally settled with a Granite Gear shoulder strap pocket click here .

I have a Garmin 60CS whihc is the same size as your unit- it is a bit of a tight fit, I usually leave the antenna sticking out a bit (better reception?) Of all the things I've tried, this is the most convenient and accessible and has never been pulled out of the pocket when I am bushwhacking, even in the thickest of spruce-

kmorgan said:
I have the GPS Map60CS. In most cases during good weather I just have it on the rotating clip on the outside, side of my pack.
Some people have had the case side of the rotating clip break (exposing the innards of the GPS). I don't use the clip.

I also use an amplified external antenna with my unit which has yet to lose a signal even in heavier canopy.
You wouldn't need the external antenna if you had a 60csx... :)

Doug

KevCon223 said:
I use the Garmin GPS nylon carrying case. I usually carry mine on the hipbelt adjustment strap, but it could also be fastened to the shoulder strap. My 60CSX will receive inside the case even with the zipper closed.
A dry fabric case and dry non-metallic zipper have no effect on the GPX signal. You needn't worry about closing the zipper...

Doug

broken clip, ripped rubber and now a pouch

I use a zippered pouch that completely encloses my Rino 120. It doesn't interfere with reception at all. ColdRiverBob gave me this so I'll have to see where he got it from. It's okay with me that's it's zippered closed becasue most of the time it's to record my tracks for the fun element of miles etc. When I am using it more for navigation I want it in my hand anyway. The new puch is larer so I've been carrying it on my waist belt and it seems to be working there as good as it had been working on my shoulder strap chest level. Go figure.

You are wise to be worried about the back clip. My back plastic clip came off countless times. I had the nylon strap carabinered to my pack as a safety backup. Then last year on a bushwhack the clip broke off, and the carabinered strap which was run through the rubber hole on the top of the Rino ripped out. Thank goodness I noticed it was gone and only had to search quickly for the Rino. Now I have no safety attachment unless I send it back to Rino. Thus the zippered pouch.

Bob had lost his Rino on a bushwhack (when that clip came off) also but had to backtrack at least 20 minutes to find his. He was really lucky to find his. He's got the identical pouch but his Rino 560 (?) antenna doesn't fit in like mine does on the 120. He bought them online.

Gee, I’m glad this subject came up, as I’d been intending to ask it for weeks now, myself.

I don’t trust that screw-in clip either; mine has fallen off a couple times and I haven’t even used the receiver on a real hike yet (got a 60CSx for Christmas). I’ve just held it in my hand the whole time every time I’ve taken it out. Reception will be fine if I just place it my pack, then? That would save buying another bag.

But Doug, are you saying that the reception will be lost if the bag or zipper get wet?

What about the danger from the signal? I assume these things give out the same rays that a cell phone does, and while they continue to deny that they cause brain tumors, they’re now saying that heavy cell phone use damages your sperm, so is the risk/hazard the same for a GPSr?

I bought Garmin's slip-on case when I got the 60CSx in order to protect the display. As I recall, the lanyard was a bit short (might be confusing this with a camera I bought about the same time) so I used a longer lanyard from another device.

I loop the GPS thru a pack strap and use the screw-in and it's not come off - have been using it regularly since January.

Someone had posted on previous thread that, in lieu of a carrying case, you get some stick-on vinyl they sell for kid's games from a place like Toys R Us. The $20 Garmin case is cheesy, and a tear developed around the post area almost immediately.

If you slip a loop thru a pack strap I can't see how you could lose it.

My solution was to buy a carrying case which I found at the new LLBean in Colonie, NY, and connect it to the backpack via a cut strap. The lanyard is also connected to the strap for added safety. The protective case I purchased with the GPS tore but is still serviceable after a sewing repair. I've gone through 2 clips - the first broke and the second was lost, so it was time for another carrying solution. The antenna peeks through the top of the zipper case but it can be partially closed. Not a perfect solution but it seems to work.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=tdpb2qu.90tapsdm&Uy=m2b3hn&Ux=0

Jo,

Thats the identical case that I use and then mummify with duct tape. The neoprene lasts for a while but with a much shorter life span when bushwhacking.
The clear plastic splits, and quickly in cold weather.
I duct tape the entire thing like a mummy, which leads to a longer lifespan, but a very tight fit, and super hard fit to get in and out in cold weather.

Raymond said:
But Doug, are you saying that the reception will be lost if the bag or zipper get wet?
Reduced. Perhaps lost, perhaps not. Could easily cause loss if the location is otherwise marginal.

What about the danger from the signal? I assume these things give out the same rays that a cell phone does, and while they continue to deny that they cause brain tumors, they’re now saying that heavy cell phone use damages your sperm, so is the risk/hazard the same for a GPSr?
A GPS is a radio receiver. It does not intentionally emit a radio signal. (It will unintentionally leak very weak raido signals and it will emit light if you turn the backlight on...) There is no risk to you.

As for the cellphone, it might only be a risk if you carry it in your crotch...

Doug

Alan-
The last 3 photos show the new Garmin case I bought at LL Bean and attach by means of a strap to the backpack. Photos 1 and 2 show the Rino in the old case with the clear front. Sorry for the confusion!

Edelweiss said:
My solution was to buy a carrying case which I found at the new LLBean in Colonie, NY, and connect it to the backpack via a cut strap. The lanyard is also connected to the strap for added safety. The protective case I purchased with the GPS tore but is still serviceable after a sewing repair. I've gone through 2 clips - the first broke and the second was lost, so it was time for another carrying solution. The antenna peeks through the top of the zipper case but it can be partially closed. Not a perfect solution but it seems to work.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=tdpb2qu.90tapsdm&Uy=m2b3hn&Ux=0

I have a Garmin carrying case similar to that. I put on my shoulder strap of my back pack with the clip and I pass the cord through my chest strap of my pack, to not lose it.