Triple-Play! “Whitewall-Lite” + Shoal Pond + Thoreau Falls: 23-Oct-2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Background:
For whatever reason, I decided to do a “horizontal” hike to Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls. BUT, I had this nagging temptation to go “vertical” when walking along the Ethan Pond Trail directly at the foot of Whitewall Mountain!

I managed to keep my “vertical” urges under control long enough to enable me to do Shoal Pond (which I had never done before), and to do Thoreau Falls (which I had already done once before). However, at the end of the hike, I eventually succumbed to “verticality” by bushwhacking to a place I nicknamed “Whitewall-Lite” (you know, sort of like Miller-Lite, or Bud-Light!).

The Journey:
The views from Shoal Pond were more spectacular than I had imagined they would be. It’s so unique to view Zealand Notch with water in the foreground.
Shoal_Z-Notch.JPG

And, it’s equally as unique viewing Carrigain with water in the foreground.

Shoal_Carrigain.JPG

The view from Thoreau Falls with Mt. Bond in the background was OK. However, taking good photos was a challenge since I’m lacking skills to deal with the shadows and lighting issues that were present when I was there. Plus, there was not a whole lot of running H20 to add to the “ambiance”!!
ThoreauFalls_Bond.JPG

So, after having done Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls, I began my return journey. However, as I approached the southwestern corner of Whitewall Mountain, I could no longer resist the urge to go “vertical”!! I strongly suspected that there might be a ledge somewhere on this end of Whitewall that was not too far off the trail where I could get some views without too much effort. I knew there wouldn’t be time to go all the way to the summit, but this wasn’t a big deal since I’d already gone to the summit about 2 years ago.

So, I took the plunge and headed off-trail and went “vertical” in a northeasterly direction. After about 30 minutes of “hunting & pecking” my way through mostly open woods, I came to a great little ledge which I called “Whitewall-Lite”.

From “Whitewall-Lite”, there were some nice views looking northward up the Zealand Notch.
Z-Notch_fr_Whitewall.JPG

And, there were views looking southward toward Carrigain.

Carrigain_fr_Whitewall.JPG

And, of course, there were views right “across the street” looking at Zeacliff and the Zealand Ridge.
Z-Ridge_fr_Whitewall.JPG

Besides the views from Shoal Pond, Thoreau Falls, and Whitewall-Lite, there were also nice “reflecting” views at the Beaver Ponds, as well as an interesting “reflecting” view at Zealand Pond.
BvrPond_Reflections.JPG
Z-PondReflections.JPG

Just as side-note, I haven’t been on the Zealand Trail for awhile. When did the trail crew do the “scree-fill” for that badly eroded section of trail with all the exposed roots?? Very nice job!!
ScreeWork.JPG

Bottom-Line To All This: I couldn’t resist the temptation to add some “verticality” to my horizontal hike to Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls. And so, I did a short 30 minute bushwhack to a ledge on Whitewall Mountain which I dubbed “Whitewall-Lite”. The views from there were a big “bang for the buck” considering that it took so little time & effort to go there.

The views from Shoal Pond were much better than expected, and for anyone who has not been there, I’d recommend it. Also, there were also some nice “reflecting” views at the Beaver Ponds and at Zealand Pond.

Including the short bushwhack, the round-trip mileage for this hike was just a bit over 12 miles. However, since most of it is flat (horizontal) walking, it’s easy to cover a lot of ground very quickly. Including time for lunch, taking photos, bushwhack, etc, this entire trek took just over 6 hours.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Its a little discouraging to see the waters levels still down in Shoal, two summers ago, the dam must have gone out with the heavy rain because it lost a lot of water. Losing a foot of water might not matter for most places, but Shoal is only 4-5 feet deep and supports one of just a handful of completely sustaining wild brook trout populations outside of streams in NH. I hope the beavers come back to raise it. On the other side of the coin look at Zealand Pond, now several feet higher then in the last 15 years, it now supports a healthy population of wild brook trout. I have been working with Fish and Game to give it wild trout status. Beautiful pics and a beautiful area. -Mattl

Last edited:
We noticed that "scree fill" at the end of our Bonds traverse last Sunday - it was a very, very welcome surprise!

taking good photos was a challenge since I’m lacking skills to deal with the shadows and lighting issues that were present when I was there.

John,

Your pictures are consistently breath-taking and I look forward to seeing them as much as I look forward to reading your TRs. You have become quite the photographer this past year and your documented excursions are proof. Thank you for sharing your experiences not only through your words, but also through your lens. Your views are very much appreciated! :)

Such beautiful locations! I am surprised how many people have never bothered to check out Shoal Pond.

When we were on Whitewall last week, Jazzbo, Pat and I considered descending to the south, since we could see a birch glade in that direction while we were going from the summit to the open ledges. Next time!

Railroad Map

Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I was going through my old guide books and found this description of the Shoal Pond trail from 1931 which I thought I'd share.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2538494530049325427mFtHcY?vhost=good-times
. . . and thank you for sharing as well! It’s always great fun and interesting to go back to the old WMGs and read the trail descriptions.

While we are in the sharing mode, below is a map from Belcher’s “Logging Railroads in the White Mountains”. As can be seen, the Zealand Valley Railroad (1884 to 1897) began at a point near the entrance of the present-day Zealand Road and came down through Zealand Notch all the way to Shoal Pond, with a spur to Ethan Pond. The current day Zealand Road, Zealand Trail, Ethan Pond Trail and Shoal Pond Trail utilizes large chunks of this old rail bed. And so, the trek to Shoal Pond is not only a nice hike in its own right, it’s also a hike along a trail with a lot of history.
RailroadMap.JPG

Last edited:
Every time I look at my copy of that book, I wonder if any of the old grade right down in the valley is still there, and if it's accessible? I have to suspect that the locations of some campsites I've seen are either right on the grade or are old logging camps, but I've always thought it would be cool to try to take it as far as one can go.

shoal pond

Its a little discouraging to see the waters levels still down in Shoal, two summers ago, the dam must have gone out with the heavy rain because it lost a lot of water. Losing a foot of water might not matter for most places, but Shoal is only 4-5 feet deep and supports one of just a handful of completely sustaining wild brook trout populations outside of streams in NH-Mattl

My husband tried to fish Shoal a couple of weeks ago but it was hopeless - too shallow, and 'no fish' to speak of. Thanks for the info on Zealand Pond. It is now on his fishing list.

Wonderful trip report and photos!

Recent Trailwork on Zealand

We observed the folks hauling the gravel to fill in the new turnpike sections on Zealand Trail when Audrey, Pat, and I were hiking to Whitewall on Saturday 10/12. I had meant to get a picture on way out but the light was bad and my battery was dead. Very pleased you got a picture John. They did a really nice job of it. It is a huge improvement. Must be especially good for the hut croo with their heavy loads. Since they were working on Saturday I suspect they were volunteers so whoever you are thanks for your good works! I think a southerly approach might be a nice way to hike Whitewall with descent down the north side to make it a loop.

That view of Carrigain is very interesting. There's one ravine on the north side looks like it was scooped out by the hand of God ... very nice cirque formation. I suppose it was the hand of God ... perhaps a cosmic ice sculpture.

Last edited:
Nice report, I was almost thinking of doing something similar recently, I had the idea to go by Ethan Pond and out to Thoreau Falls. May still do it sometime. You don't always have to go up to have a good day!

Nice pics. Your view of Zealand Notch from Whitewall-lite reminds me of old photos of Crawford Notch before the P&O RR - wild and rugged.

Great pictures of a beautiful area. We are fortunate to see it now--it must have been one ugly place when the RR's were going strong, and then after the great confligration in Zealand Valley.

That view of Carrigain is very interesting. There's one ravine on the north side looks like it was scooped out by the hand of God ... very nice cirque formation.
Yes, the ravine you mentioned is particularly pronounced from that viewing angle. I suppose a feature as evident as that one must have a name?
Perhaps it’s simply called Carrigain Ravine??

Yes, the ravine you mentioned is particularly pronounced from that viewing angle. I suppose a feature as evident as that one must have a name?
Perhaps it’s simply called Carrigain Ravine??

You get a similar view of Carrigain from Zeacliff. It kind of looks like an ice cream scoop! You can see the logging roads really well too.

Carrigain is such a neat mountain.

grouseking

You get a similar view of Carrigain from Zeacliff. It kind of looks like an ice cream scoop! You can see the logging roads really well too.
WOW! Nice photo Grouseking! Looking at the traces of the old logging roads, you can’t help but think of the "up close & personal" view of the ravine those loggers from days gone by must have had. But then again, maybe it wasn’t such a pretty sight considering the impact of the logging operations they were undertaking.