Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: monadnock state park status

monadnock state park status

don't know if this has appeared in another thread i missed, but heard on the radio today a couple trails have been opened on mondanock. as was probably expected it's white dot and white cross from the state park. all else still closed.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/state-pa...ck-state-park/

bryan
    "i lifted one foot to cross the other and i felt myself slipping, it was a small mistake, sometimes that's all it takes." - bright eyes

has anyone been up either of these trails recently? thinking of hiking this on Sat. or Sun while I'm in Peterborough for the weekend. I see that they're open but just curious as to conditions.

Here is a recent trip report, but we had an additional 10" of snow in the following 2 days.

ya know - I get the ice storm was a mess and tragic for many people and places and the clean up is/was tough - but closing trails for this long of a time...

at some stage, you would think they would just say hike at your own risk rather than saying NO for this long.....

Maybe I not seeing the big picture, but anyone else think this is a bit nuts...

I mean if someone wants to hike the pumpelly trail this weekend, whats the problem?

maybe I am being ignorant of the whole thing, but the threat of being arrested and prosecuted for hiking...
    Last edited by giggy; 01-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Actually the mountain is closed due to a bank forclosure.The bank owns it now so you might get arrested for trespassing
    The Missin' Link

88/107NHHH 100/100NEHH 308/451NE3K's

This post gives more explaination. If it was any other mountain it would probably not be an issue. But Monadnock attracts unprepared hikers in droves, and the storm damage was severe.

I went up the White Dot and down the White Cross on Monday, January 19th. The trails were in great shape. I used snowshoes from the parking lot to the summit and was glad I did. A lot of others were using crampons.

The snow was almost perfect. I could still feel a few rocks under the snow. Another 8 inches and it would be great. We endured the 21 degree temps with winds gusting to 8 MPH What a day to be out.

Pics are here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Greatgul...eat=directlink

The Cascade Link, Red Spot, Old Ski Path, Spellman, and Pumpelly from C-Link to summit was opened this morning by the park.

Patrick say's lots of new "First Views" on many of 'em and they still marvel over the level of change/'destruction' to the environs, even though they have been hiking through endlessly for clean-up.

I hiked the Cascade Link and Pumpelly trail to the Summit this morning and the trails are in Great shape, Lots of snow on the upper part of the Cascade Link and the lower end of the Pumpelly trail, snowshoes are recomended. A BIG THANKS to all the park personel and volunteers who got the trails back open.

I heard in the supermarket yesterday that the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail Club will be meeting in Marlow tomorrow to discuss future trail work. Rumor is they haven't been allowed on Monadnock yet although they built part of that trail and may know it better than park rangers. If anybody attends that meeting, please let us know what goes on.

I'll find out if that "rumor" is true, but the club actually did not build part of the Dublin Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'll find out if that "rumor" is true, but the club actually did not build part of the Dublin Trail.
    I'm sure that you would know

The guy was probably confused because he belongs to multiple organizations, do you know if Trailwrights or Cardigan Highlanders (who apparently did previous work at Monadnock) have been invited to help with the cleanup?
    http://www.spnhf.org/news/press-release.asp?id=78

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    I heard in the supermarket yesterday that the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail Club will be meeting in Marlow tomorrow to discuss future trail work.
    As a section adopter of this great trail, I had planned on attending. However, I was not able to.

However, although this was going to be a topic, the meeting was a general business meeting and the first one of the year. The agenda for the meeting was as follows:

Time: 8:30 am

Review minutes from June 08, September 08 and Annual meetings 08.

Treasurer’s Report

Campsite Review (postponing Max Israel shelter until 2010 because of the ice storm?)

Adopter Report (Section 10 now open – Hubbard to Advent Church)

New Business:

Trail report – ice storm clean up; leaders for work days; AMC NH Crew, Trailwright’s Crew, EMS Crew, tee shirts as volunteer rewards?

Moose Shelter renaming issue – still waiting for State approval

Galpin Girls – donations mailed, consideration of making them honorary lifetime members (Creager)

Electronic newsletter proposal / Constant Contact / $15 per mo going forward

New Post Card Printing

Guide Book – proposal for reworking map (Dan) and quote on updating guidebook (Tim); total project cost

Other New Business
    Official trail work days are scheduled to being in April. However, I am sure some ad hoc days will come up before then as the weather starts to get nicer.
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Thoreau

Old Toll Road & Marlboro Trailheads will be opened officially for the weekend of 3/14. Since there are now non-fee options, the HQ will be going back to it's regular fee schedule.

The rumor regarding MS Greenway Club being prohibited from work on the Dublin Trail was not true. The park manager noticed they had a work day scheduled for end-to-end, and contacted them to coordinate with what the park already has planned.