2 burner Stoves for road trips.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
I'd like to pick the brains of all the great members on this site again...

Looking for a good stove, double burner, for road trips with family.

Are the stoves that use the coleman propane canisters the way to go? I really don't want to lug those things around. I've had plenty of experience with them but like I said, don't want to lug those canisters around. But they are simple to use.

Is liquid fuel better? Do they operate the same way, let's say, like an MSR Whisperlite operates? Needs priming? White gas? Functions in colder weather much better than the coleman propane?

Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

I have two Coleman double burners. One uses canisters and the other white gas. The canister is far easier to use, but you then have to deal with empty canisters. The white gas requires pumping and is no big deal unless you have a problem with lighting picnic table and the surround grass on fire, which happened to me at Baxter a few years ago and is a story for another time.

Depending on how long the trip is, and how comfortable you are with white gas vs. a canister will determine which stove you will use.

Consider fuel availability. Wally worlds pretty much always carry coleman propane canisters.. Coleman's fuel is generally available too as White gas, but you'd only be able to find the gallon size which may or may not be desireable for you.

Jay

Over 10 years ago I purchased an MSR RapidFire, a lightweight stove similar to the WhisperLight, which uses iso-butane fuel available in the 8 oz. canisters. I liked it so much that I bought a second for those times when two stoves would be useful. I still use these stoves for backpacking.

However, I inadvertantly left behind my stoves once while rushing to pack for a kayak camping trip. Fortunately, something woke up in the gray matter and I realized my problem well north and beyond most outdoor stores but not before the last Walmart where I purchased a generic double burner Coleman type stove with a couple 16 oz. canisters. This is really a convenient stove and I'm glad to have it. I use it for car camping and kayak camping when space and weight limitations are more generous to creature comforts.

As an aside, I number each canister with a felt marker and always use the lowest number first. That way I don't end up with a supply of half filled or nearly empty canisters, only to learn their contents far away from supplies.

... white gas requires pumping and is no big deal unless you have a problem with lighting picnic table and the surround grass on fire ... Depending on how long the trip is, and how comfortable you are with white gas vs. a canister will determine which stove you will use.

I, too, have a story on fire and how I would not want to be remembered as "the person who burned down a forest", a story best told around, well, a campfire. :eek:

I have a strong preference of iso-butane or propane canisters over the white gas, namely for ease of use and less risky mess of carrying. White gas is superior for cold weather camping, though.

FWIW: My 2 cents

for car and boat/island camping we use a combo which covers pretty nearly all needs; a canister grill like this one for burgers, dogs, steak, etc. Turned up high, on top of that grill you can place a teflon griddle for eggs, pancakes, fish, etc. Finally, I also always bring a single white gas backpacking or coleman burner for boiling water, veggies, etc. Propane canisters last a long time but I always have a spare handy.

One additional point that Chip’s post reminded me of. If you use the griddle that will restrict your use of the two burners to making just food so if you have a caffeine addition as I do, bring along a smaller stove just for coffee. At our Baxter trip I used the Coleman for the breakfast food and my Superfly for just making coffee, and it worked out extremely well.

For car camping I prefer propane burners. Much cleaner and easier to use..especially if you have children or the white gas challenged user along ( not to mention if they cosume alcoholic beverages...no not the kids). You can also get adapters that will enable you to use the larger 5 gallon jugs. These adapters will also let you power up a lantern and/or another propane appliance in addtion to the stove. Also if you don't want to carry the big jug you can get an adapter which will let you recharge the little bootles from your home 5 gallon jug that many of us have for our home griill.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Bass_Pro_Coleman_30_Outlet_Post_Distribution_Tree_for_Propane_Appliances

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Propane-2-99-shipping/dp/B000SALJEI/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_1

For a long time, we used an old white gas Coleman but switched to the propane a couple years ago. Usually, we compliment that with my dad's white gas Svea backpacking stove. The propane Coleman is less bulky, even with the canisters, than the white gas one (at least the version we have).

if you have room

a propane with 20# bulk tank is the way to go. It really doesn't take up that much room, it always comes with me on car camping trips. Although I used it for years, liquid 'Coleman' fuel is a PITA, and more dangerous.

Mrs. G and I use an ancient (ca 1950-1955) Coleman two burner white gas stove that continues to give great service on car camping trips. Usually, we can get through a full week (or more) of camping on a gallon of fuel – including gas to run a single mantle Coleman Peak One lantern.

The stove was a gift from neighbors who were moving away, ca 1962. It came to me well used and I have used the stove myself ever since then. I never have had one of those “oh s**t!” moments with it getting out of hand. The stove has required very little maintenance beyond ordinary cleaning up of grease splatters, etc. I always release tank pressure before transport and try to empty the tank before storing the stove for any length of time.

We also use a portable propane grill. As someone else suggested, we mark the propane canisters to keep track of which one is the one to use.

G.

Both the propane and liquid fuels are available in handy sizes, about the same as a largish quart of milk. The liquid fuel containers in this size are somewhat more difficult to find than the propane.

Some of the liquid fuel stoves can burn unleaded as well as "white gas" and its functional equivalent, Coleman fuel.

Empty propane cylinders need careful disposal. Every now and then a solid waste collection center encounters one that has not met this requirement.

Propane is safe and cleaner to handle than the liquid fuel. Liquid fuel is probably more efficient economically if you're doing LOTS of cooking. Otherwise the difference in cost per BTU probably isn't worth noting.

But it's not REALLY camping unless the breakfast has been cooked on a Coleman two-burner liquid stove, preferably one carrying reminders of decades of reliable service. :)

I am a traditionalist, Coleman stoves are really hard to break and parts are available for very old units. Unless you use a bulk tank, those standard propane bottles dont last that long and dont run as well in cold weather.

I will qualify this that I have never actually owned a Coleman Stove. I used to work with Boy Scout troops for years and would borrow a Coleman on the rare occasions when I needed them. I would usually clean them up and do whatever maintenance was required before returning them as boy scouts were not know for the care they packed away things after weekend of camping.

The main problems I would see would be dirty or contaminated fuel and plugged or ineffective generator tubes, which I think was related to the very heavy use the stoves get on a typical scout camping weekend.

The big fires usually were caused by , initial flare up on start, usually related to a marginal generator, trying to refill a hot stove with the tank in place, or managing to disconnect the fuel tank while the stove was running. The last one was right up there with a flame thrower. The grease fire from using a griddle with a grease cup and cooking a couple of pounds of bacon were usually good for some excitement.

Our ancient Coleman two-burner gasoline stove seems to hold its pressure best (require least pumping to maintain fuel flow) when the tank is half full, or less. There probably is some scientific explanation for this, but I'm not especially interested, knowing from experience what works and what doesn't ... ;)

G.

But it's not REALLY camping unless the breakfast has been cooked on a Coleman two-burner liquid stove, preferably one carrying reminders of decades of reliable service. :)

Amen! Many things have changed for me gear-wise wince I started camping when I was about 7, but the Coleman two-burner liquid-fueled stove will likely outlive me. There are bumps and stains from many a trip. Only managed to disconnect the generator from the stove once. Won't do that again, but it was dramatic. :eek:

Weatherman

I have two 2-burner stoves and one 3-burner stove, all liquid fuel. I used to have a 2-burner propane, but it was just too costly by comparison to run, although 2 of my portable grills use them. One of my 2 burner ones is from the 40's and it still works great. I prefer the 3 burner, because I can use the griddle and still have room for a coffee pot.

I have used them at -40° without problems (at Festiglace) when the propane wouldn't flow from the canister style, but they are more difficult to light at other temperatures. I've never had a problem with flare-ups or come anywhere close to burning anything down. They are similar in lighting to a Whisperlite, but easier I think.

I find used 2 burner liquid fuel stoves for sale up here all the time. They go anywhere from free to $5 and most of the time just need a little cleaning to work flawlessly. I have given so many away family and friends are taken care of, so now I pass them up unless they're being thrown away, same thing with lanterns. I can keep my eyes open if anyone would like...just say the word.

Last edited:
I, too, have a story on fire and how I would not want to be remembered as "the person who burned down a forest", a story best told around, well, a campfire. :eek:

I have a strong preference of iso-butane or propane canisters over the white gas, namely for ease of use and less risky mess of carrying. White gas is superior for cold weather camping, though.

I set VT on fireX2. Both times my Coleman 2 burner stoves were very old and I was using Coleman fuel. They were engulfed in flames. Scared me half to death both times. I knocked them to the ground and they burned themselves out near the fireplace. I still use one but with a propane tank and have not had a problem....yet. Most often I like to use my backpack stove and find that adeqaute even for car camping. I sometimes bring 2 of them if someone is joining me. I do like them best.

Last edited:
For car or boat camping I like the two burner propane - easy to light and instant. Any beginning camper can start it too. As long as you don't use it a lot, the cost of the canisters and disposal seem reasonable.

For those wanting the 3rd burner to keep the coffee warm while scrambling the eggs (and browning the home fries), take a small can of Sterno. Set between 2 logs it will do the trick. Even used it to boil water/cook one backpacking trip when the white gas stove pump got left home (embarrassed to say that).

Lot's of great info as usual!

Thanks Lawn Sale, I wound up going with the Coleman duel-fuel, two burner, model 424 at a local hunting shop for a pretty good price compared to what I've seen online.

I'll be using the stove quite a bit on a two-three week road trip so the white gas seems most logical. I'd probably need a gross of coleman canisters if I went the propane route. And considering the temperatures will be pretty cold in the morning, I can't afford not to have a hot meal for the wife and kiddies when we wake up.

I figure if I can operate the whisperlite, the 424 shouldn't be that much different (however, some of you are worrying me ;))

Nah, a 424 is a piece-o-cake compared to a Whisperlite. It's all a matter of degrees. The incident with the 424 involved 15 seconds of flames and a 3 inch charred place on a picnic table, but the time I lit my brother's whisperlite with the fuel bottle upside down involved a near-conflagration with a good chunk of a tent platform.

He was pushing for me to change my trail name to "Fireball".

Weatherman