Bonds: 3 bears: 2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Saturday August 15 we are in Lincoln NH, to do the Bonds. Bondcliff, Bond and West Bond, three mountains of the NH48, a very popular mainly because of the spectacular summit Bondcliff. We had arrived the previous day to begin early Saturday morning, the long trek of 21 miles. The weather promised a warm and sunny day for the entire weekend. We decided to hike these mountains by the Lincoln Trail Wood. We have taken the decision, to do Zealand and Hale later, and because of the heat and Annie saw that it would be easier to view difference.
What? I have to take his claims of my partner seriously. Me, I would have done in the other way, from Zealand, but...... And we don’t do the traverse, because it takes 2 cars. We were hoping to meet someone that I know on the trail, which did not happen.
6.00h, we leave the trailhead. Two minutes later, after crossing the suspension bridge, I hear noise in the woods on the river side. I take my camera; in my head I will see a moose in front of me. Suddenly, 200 feet in front of us, a black bear running across the trail. He heard us, so he was afraid of our arrival. I was so surprised that I did not take a picture. It is the first time we see a bear, in nature while we hike. Last week, near Twin Mountain, when we were en route to Galehead and Garfield, we saw our first moose.
The first part of the trail, Lincoln Wood tr. Is straight and almost flat, is a former railway. The pieces of wood are still there. This portion is fairly easy. The second portion, the Boncliff tr. Is easy also but steeper, but only towards the end. This portion had several sections of mud. I slipped once and I had mud over my boot. Arrived Bondcliff, we are on a ridge and we can observe the beautiful surroundings. Then we move on Bond's Knife Edge to Bond.

DSCN4807CC.jpg

This summit is also beautiful because it is above the others and we can see more of the surrounding peaks. After a short poses on Bond, we are moving to West Bond, is a very short distance between the two, around 30 minutes between these 2 peaks. A short descent and a short climb, and we reach the summit. Wow! Equally beautiful.
We return to Bond and Bondcliff. Okay, now it is time to take the famous photo on the Bondcliff. Annie, who has vertigo, did not want to be on that cliff, so she had taken a picture of me.

IMG_0527C.jpg

IMG_0526CC.jpg

The way back was very fast, and we returned to the parking faster that I expected. An Yes, all along the route, with the exception of the summits, there were plenty of water to our availability. It could be a problem in hot weather as Saturday. But we had enough. Even that I fill one bottle from a fall, which has been very refreshing. Arriving at the parking after 21 miles, we are not too tired and still in very good shape.
We stopped in North Woodstock, we buy beers for our dinner and celebrating our three peaks. The next morning we decided to go home without another hike. Usually, we do another hike, but now we want to be home early. Approximately 10 minutes after our departure, we are on the road 93 and..... Yes, a bear crossed the road, right before us. Before Saturday, we had never seen a bear, except in zoos or on TV. And now it is the second that we see in almost 24 hours.
So the summary of our weekend:
Bonds: 3 Bears: 2

Last edited:
Beers , Bears and Bonds .....looks like you had it all ! :) Thanks for the trip report , Yvon. There's no place quite like the Bonds !

Dave

21 miles and still feeling good ! You 2 are tough !
Looks like I'll be following you through the NH48 just like I did for the ADK46.
Happy Trails!