Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insulated cozy for taller Camelbak bottles ?

insulated cozy for taller Camelbak bottles ?

My shorter insulated cozies for my Nalgenes are too short for the taller (BPA FREE !!! ) Camelbak 1l bottles that I'm "upgrading" to. Camelbak has these neoprene "sleeves" for their .75l bottle but nothing fully enclosed or for their 1l bottles.

Any ideas ?
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I don't know about a cozy, but I've seen these bottles being used a few times: http://performancebike.com/bikes/Pro..._400004_400162

Not sure how affective they'd be, though.

Other than that, the OR water bottle jackets would probably fit one of your bottles: http://www.altrec.com/outdoor-resear...:referralID=NA

Quote Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
    Other than that, the OR water bottle jackets would probably fit one of your bottles: http://www.altrec.com/outdoor-resear...:referralID=NA
    Thanks, I just found those too. $33 with shipping is a bit rich, though, for a bottle cozy. Perhaps the Nalgene use will continue in the winter.

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I agree that's it's pretty steep compared to the $12 or whatever of the old EMS ones.

You could always make your own! Hobbitling made a pretty cool one! I think he used an old, insulated jacket.

The other thing I realized about nalgenes; if they do start to freeze over, they're easier to "hack" into to clear the ice than the narrow mouthed Camelbak 1 liter bottle would be. To heck with the BPA's !

Wool socks make nice insulators for all size bottles.
    I'm just outwalkin....

bottle cozy-- sew one

Chip--

It's easy to sew or have sewn an insulated sack, bottle size, and with a drawstring. If you work out the dimensions right the sack will double as an overmitt frost bite preventer. I sewed mine from silnylon for the shell, primaloft insulation (because it has least water retention, others will work), and Pertex R3 lining, weight no more than an ounce. There's no "thumb", just use a stuff sac configuration.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    The other thing I realized about nalgenes; if they do start to freeze over, they're easier to "hack" into to clear the ice than the narrow mouthed Camelbak 1 liter bottle would be. To heck with the BPA's !
    The HDPE Nalgene wide-mouth bottles are the same dimensions as the polycarbonate bottles, have no BPA, and are cheaper too! http://www.rei.com/search?query=nalg...x=0&button.y=0

Sometimes the older stuff is better...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Wool socks make nice insulators for all size bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by whcobbs View Post
    It's easy to sew or have sewn an insulated sack, bottle size, and with a drawstring. If you work out the dimensions right the sack will double as an overmitt frost bite preventer. I sewed mine from silnylon for the shell, primaloft insulation (because it has least water retention, others will work), and Pertex R3 lining, weight no more than an ounce. There's no "thumb", just use a stuff sac configuration.
    I have used a wool sock and a small (outer) stuff sack as a bottle insulator and it worked quite well. Note that a new sock works better than an old worn sock...

Doug

Nalgene is making their traditional hard-plastic 1L bottles BPA-free now. SWMBO got me one for Christmas -- because the kids lost one of my old Nalgenes, not because she was particularly worried about me being poisoned.

(Heck, if that were the case, she'd have to stop using arsenic as a "condiment" in my dinners! )
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 25/46 W5
    NH48: 26/48 W8

Quote Originally Posted by J.Dub View Post
    Nalgene is making their traditional hard-plastic 1L bottles BPA-free now. SWMBO got me one for Christmas -- because the kids lost one of my old Nalgenes, not because she was particularly worried about me being poisoned.

(Heck, if that were the case, she'd have to stop using arsenic as a "condiment" in my dinners! )
    Yea, any new Nalgene's won't have BPA in them.

Plus, the BPA is mainly a problem only when boiling water is added. So if you're just using the bottles for winter use, you should be totally fine!

Quote Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
    Plus, the BPA is mainly a problem only when boiling water is added. So if you're just using the bottles for winter use, you should be totally fine!
    Except when I add boiled water to them in the winter.

I now have 4 or 5 bpa nalgenes and 3 or 4 bpa-free camelbaks. I'm not looking for any more water bottles. If there were $10 insulated cozies for the camelbaks, I'd buy a couple. If not, I'm pretty sure a moose or tree will get me before the bpa does.

Perhaps I will sew.

Except when I add boiled water to them in the winter.

I now have 4 or 5 bpa nalgenes and 3 or 4 bpa-free camelbaks. I'm not looking for any more water bottles. If there were $10 insulated cozies for the camelbaks, I'd buy a couple. If not, I'm pretty sure a moose or tree will get me before the bpa does.

Perhaps I will sew.
    Touche salesman!

Well, I hope whatever system you choose provides you with full hydration opportunities!

Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    Quote Originally Posted by whcobbs View Post
    Chip--

Walt
    for insulation I have used "Sill Sealer" a polyethylene foam about 3/16" thick, that is placed underneath an external wall by a home builder. I have a bunch of it left over, from when I built my workshop.
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Wow, Thanks John ! Looking for a new project, eh ? I'll send you the dimensions, since you were so kind to offer...