Overnight at Flat Mountain Pond...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
In the middle of winter, I normally think nothing of getting up before 5AM to get to a location by the post 7AM sunrises. Summer is much different. Sunrises are now only a bit after 5AM, with good light starting during the 4AM hour. A two to three hour driving or hiking window equates to a sleepless night, which, until school is out, is simply not an option. So, the season of over-nighting at locations begins.

This weekend we chose a nice hike to Flat Mountain Pond in the Sandwich Wilderness of Central, NH in hopes of getting a sunrise shot over the pond!

The hike to the pond is a fairly easy approach, with about 4 of the 5 miles following an old logging railroad grade. There’s even still evidence of the railway itself along the way. I was suprised to see a fairly large, dynamic waterfall along the way, which isn't on any of the maps...is it named?

4633483778_609bfba351.jpg

Anybody got a name for this one?

The shelter sits at the south end of the pond, near a small dam, which makes it a popular place for swimmers and fly fisherman…and I’m glad I had my fly rod with me as well yesterday, as the trout were active. Caught one, lost one...midges were necessary and not brought along!

Sunset was interesting, but tough to shoot, as was the moose who refused to show more than a fleeting glimpse as he sauntered around the shoreline. Dinner was amazing…but everything tastes better in the woods…especially Annie’s mac and cheese with tuna! Besides that, the only notable was the persistence of black flies…who’s season has passed in SoNH…but is quite strong up north…

4632854288_e1bbd57d5b.jpg

I woke up at 3:45 to the sound of Swainson’s Thrushes and White Throated Sparrows, and looked out of the shelter to see clear skies, and a heavy mist. Not a breath of wind disturbed the pond…and out I went to shoot. Now I’ve claimed to be a morning person on numerous occasions here, and this morning I had no problem getting my mind in shooting shape. My legs though…gave out on me on the wet rocks along the shoreline. Fortunately it was a warm morning…

Sunrise was just beautiful, with the mist slowly changing from gray to flame as the sun rose higher. A pair of beavers was the only disturbance to the pond, and birdsong was the only sound in the air!

4632116811_2fc013e4a8.jpg

Bright Sky, Dark Mist

4632238053_cced50f1bf.jpg

Bright Mist...

4632887505_84bcfab105.jpg

Angry Beavers...

After sunrise, I turned my attention to flowers…and the winds stayed calm until nearly 8AM. The heavy dew made for some neat shots of bog laurel, and I found some nice painted trilliums as well. Plenty of goldthread...and the bunchberry is just getting started!

4632828705_8e43c46606.jpg

Dew on Bog Laurel...

Thanks for following along on the hike!

The one I caught was about 8 inches...needs another season. Saw a few bigger splashes though...

Awesome shots. This is a place I'll have to check out some time. Thanks for the report and info.

Spectacular photos, per the usual! That sunset one is certainly interesting. I love the clouds and reflection.

Your bright mist pic is probably one of my favorites I've seen that you have taken.

I was up on Whiteface later that day, and the haze had really taken over. It was best to be down in the valleys that day....that is, if you had 100 percent deet.

grouseking

I love your pictures. The falls along Bennett St Trail are numerous...I envy the people who own the tree farm on the othe side of the river:)

I think that hike is one of the prettiest and most serene in the White Mountains, thanks for the trip back.

Just curious, which trail did you take?

Parked at Bennett Street, followed the river and then up to the pond, rather than Flat Mountain Pond trail the whole way...The exact trail name eludes me...

I did the same hike back in 2002. It was my first solo overnight, and I was the only one there, though some mountain bikers stopped by during the afternoon.

To answer the trail name question, from the Bennett parking area, it's the Flat Mountain Pond Trail over Jose's Bridge, then onto the Bennett St. Trail along the brook, past those falls, back up to the Flat Mountain Pond Trail along the logging railroad. One could stay on the FMPT from the beginning, it's just a long wraparound, but it's muddy and also not nearly as interesting as going along Pond Brook.

I love where the trail stays on the contour and wraps around the ravine on the way to the shelter. Did you see any artifacts? It's such a beautiful spot for a quiet overnight. I might have to go back with the good camera and see if I can get some shots like yours. :)

I did the same hike back in 2002. It was my first solo overnight, and I was the only one there, though some mountain bikers stopped by during the afternoon.

I love where the trail stays on the contour and wraps around the ravine on the way to the shelter. Did you see any artifacts? It's such a beautiful spot for a quiet overnight. I might have to go back with the good camera and see if I can get some shots like yours. :)

Hi MichaelJ,

Thanks for the link to your trip report...far more comprehensive in pictures. Really walks and talks your way through it! It is a great trail!

The rail ties and railway were still there...and there were other scrap metal pieces rusting away around parts of the trail. It's also neat to think about the old rail bed, which required so much hand labor to build. All to our benefit today!

Glad you liked the report!

Oh...and those leaches...YUCK...but cool!

Jim, you consistently capture images of the Whites that few others mange to do so artfully.
Thank you so much for sharing your work with us.

Too funny! In my old pics I'd captioned it "Great Falls" but I thought I was just saying they were a great waterfall. :)