Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old pictures - Can you identify locations?

Quote Originally Posted by vegematic View Post
    Ah, I wondered about the building in the Northern Pres shot. I never knew about that dormitory either.
    Another part of the story is that the Gulfside Trail used to actually circle the Gulf in that area to the auto road - I have my mother's trip report from that era

The trail was rerouted when the AF facility was built, and never moved back after it was torn down

This might be the place to ask about nh6. We know mountains. They know Winnipesaukee.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php

The Quartermaster Corps was based out of Camp Dodge during their testing, might explain a few thing about the set up of the place.

Cranmore

Cranmore is the easiest for me to identify, as well as the entrance to Wildcat. I have vivid memories of riding that skimobile, and losing one ski along the way. I had to ski down to it on one ski. Thanks for the memories, Kurch.
    And each time i feel like this inside,
    There's one thing i wanna know:
    What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

Senior Member Kevin, Judy and Emma's Avatar

Air Force

Interesting to note that technology tested at that facility is still used on aircraft today. The system of inflating a rubber bladder on the leading edge of a planes wings to remove ice build up is still used on jets all over the world. Many icing problems early jet pilots faced were researched there on MW.

I agree that the mountains in question in #6 look like Passaconaway and Whiteface.

KDT
    Last edited by Kevin, Judy and Emma; 07-07-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    "Use what talents you possess- the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best."

Henry Jackson Van Dyke

Great photos...great scans from the slides. Looking at these while listening to the Cinderalla song from Wu's Cog thread I'm in a nostalgic coma of sorts. Pining away to go back to my childhood for some of the old summer trips with my parents in the 60's - 70's. At least now I get to take my kids on summer trips.

Is that a stereoscopic image, Kevin?
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

High use impact

So does anyone have a current photo of the same location where the USAF complex was? It would be interesting to see what the remaining impact from that facility is.
    It's a lot like fun, but different.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Is that a stereoscopic image, Kevin?
    Looks to me like there is a significant amount of chromatic aberration in the lens.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    So does anyone have a current photo of the same location where the USAF complex was? It would be interesting to see what the remaining impact from that facility is.
    You might take a look at the area on Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08562&t=h&z=17

Either or both of the two clearings between the auto road and the cog railway may be related to the USAF complex. A few years ago, I parked at the more northerly of the clearings and followed a path (visible on the image) over to the Gulfside Trail.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    A few years ago, I parked at the more northerly of the clearings and followed a path (visible on the image) over to the Gulfside Trail.
    That is probably the original Gulfside as mentioned earlier.