Wildcat ski resort sold

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if this sale will have any impact on hiker access to Wildcat D?

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2010/10/peak_resorts_pu.html?p1=Upbox_links

I have hiked many ski trails in NH and elsewhere in NE - it's a type of hiking I enjoy. The only area I have known to discourage hikers is Cannon, which, perhaps not coincidentally, is the one government-run area I know of. The private sector seems more keen not to antagonize potential customers. (I should add that most of my hikes have been when there was no skiing going on.)

One area I hiked this summer, with no signs telling me not to and with a number of resort workers in my vicinity when I started, was Crotched Mtn., another Peak Resorts property.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm not sure how to feel about this!

When I specifically asked a couple years ago Ski Patrol told me it wasn't the resort's decision. USFS rules require them to allow access.

It's been long-argued on this board, I'm sure anyone who wants can search for the threads. Fact is, it is dependent on the terms of the special-use permit for each ski area. If there is a hazard due to pedestrian traffic either on or off-hours, they can, or may even be obligated to, restrict access. They've leased the land and have the right to operate it as a ski area. If hikers were causing a problem, either making it dangerous for skiers or dangerous for hikers (getting too close to grooming or snowmaking), they most certainly could restrict access. Clearly at Wildcat, the hikers and skiers are getting along well. :)

I recall one time when they asked that hikers temporarily stay off the trails, I think it was the couple of weeks between the start of snowmaking and the official opening of the ski area? I think that was a safety issue with the snow guns and the huge piles being groomed around?

Last edited:
This is slightly of topic but thought I would ask. Has anyone here hiked Wildcat D in winter and skied down? That's kind of my plan for this peak this winter and I'm wondering if they would want you to have a ticket to be on the slopes in winter? I know a phone call would probably give me an answer but I was just wondering if anyone has done this.

Thanks

People frequently skin up and ski down while the ski area is in operation, so hiking up shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you stay to the edge of the trail and you should be wearing snowshoes.

I recall one time where they asked that hikers temporarily stay off the trails, I think it was the couple of weeks between the start of snowmaking and the official opening of the ski area? I think that was a safety issue with the snow guns and the huge piles being groomed around?

I remember this at the end of ski season a couple years ago when they were changing the lifts over.

To the extent that ski trails are not designed for hiking and erode quickly, I can see why they would ban hiking off-season and during the winter when slopes are crowded they may not want non-payers crowding things more. I think that at least one resort out west requires you to have a X-C pass to go uphill on trails.

Bumped into one fellow snowshoeing up with his dog up last year while me and my nephew were skiing down Polecat. I stopped and chatted with him a bit and he mentioned in the course of our discussion that passing Ski Patrol asked him to ascend that trail and just stay on the left side (skiier's right).

I've been up that way both in the summer and winter with both Duffy and Lauky and never had a problem. Quite the contrary. I always found the Wildcat staff to be extremely friendly and courteous. I was told to take the trails to the extreme left and to stay to my left which I did.

This summer Lauky and I went up on Aug. 19 and there was a "Wildman" biathlon finishing there. Since we had left early we were the first ones up there and Lauky was the first over the finish line which I figured made him the champion "Wilddog". :D All that being said, they didn't seem to mind any foot traffic there in the summer.

009-5.jpg

Thanks. I pretty much know the etiquette in ski season when it comes to hiking on ski trails. I've yet to do it anywhere packing my skis up. I was thinking they may not like you getting a free run in on the slopes. Sounds silly, but you never know.

Some information for Attitash or Wildcat skiers:

Attitash is excited to inform you that most season passes will be valid at BOTH resorts beginning this season! If you purchased a Nor’Easter, Granite, Classic, Midweek, U.S. Military or a Child Pass, it is now a joint pass.
Wildcat Mountain season pass holders will have the option to upgrade their pass to a joint pass until Tuesday, November 9th by paying the difference in cost at the time they purchased their pass.
For those who have yet to purchase their Attitash season pass or who wish to upgrade, we will extend the Mid-season Sale prices on season passes until Tuesday, November 9th

and

In addition to the new joint season pass, many single day and multi-day lift tickets will be good at both resorts, subject to non-transferable, lost ticket, and theft of service restrictions and requirements. This offer allows guests to ski either or both mountains on the same day

and finally

Finally, all Attitash Gift Cards will be valid at both resorts without any additional steps being required. Unfortunately, due to processing restrictions, previously issued Wildcat Gift Cards can only be redeemed at Wildcat.

I like Attitash enough, but there are reasons why Wildcat is my favorite place for Alpine skiing and some of them may be in jeopardy. I'm not sure what to think of this.

Its bound to cost more, will probably be more crowded, etc. Of course it will be the same Mountain and hopefully they don't mess with Wildcat, Lynx, etc.