White Thanksgiving

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Woke up to seven inches of snow on my porch:

P1040641.JPG

... plan to put my snowshoes on for the first time this year later this morning!

Freezing rain down my way :(

Oh well, sounds like a good excuse to head up north this weekend (like an excuse is needed :cool:).

Plain ole rain in the berkshires... At least my car wasn't a freezing popsicle this morning...

Jay

8.5 inches in Bristol, NH (just south of Plymouth) - VERY heavy and wet!!!! Snow is pretty much over - waiting for sun to come out!!! The XC skis are in the car!!!! :)

... plan to put my snowshoes on for the first time this year later this morning!

8.5 inches in Bristol, NH (just south of Plymouth) - VERY heavy and wet!!!! Snow is pretty much over - waiting for sun to come out!!! The XC skis are in the car!!!! :)
As Becca says, VERY heavy and wet ... just finished cleaning car, thermometer reads 35°F, trees are "raining" ... will probably pass on snowshoeing.

Very elevation and latitude dependent. Here in Glens Falls we had 4" of slush; but 45 minutes north and 1500' up Gore Mtn. is reporting 10". It's a last minute rescue package for the many ski areas that plan to open 11/25.

I've taken the camp chairs out of my car and will put the bag with my snowshoes in tonight.

about 10" behind my house. Putting on my leather 3 pins and karhu military skis and heading behind the house to ski for the first time this season :)

oh yeah, I'm at 1000' in Bristol..... just switched the mountain bike for the skis in the back of the car :) I'm thinking I'll switch back to the bike in about a week!!!! Love the Autumn!!!!! :)))))

The Berlin/Milan area as I measured got about 10-12 inches with a wet base but kind of fluffy top layer..I did snowshoe some fields and woods in Milan this PM and looks like it's going to be good snowshoeing (with more than one breaking trail!!)..single numbers up north tonite will help (until the weekend when it melts?? maybe not up here..)..

As Becca says, VERY heavy and wet ... just finished cleaning car, thermometer reads 35°F, trees are "raining" ... will probably pass on snowshoeing.

In spite of the wet snow in some areas, some higher elevations have plenty of lovely powder -- great for snowshoes.

A walk on the hill

Yesterday two friends and I bushwhacked up Lincoln Trail from Kearsarge Valley Rd in Sutton. Forked R on old rd to Gage Hill. Stayed on ridgetop with several rocky scrambles and a climb up a ledge to the top of Black Mtn. Then down and over to the auto rd from Rollins SP and a short bushwhack to descend Lincoln Trail.
The snow varied from old crust to 10" of heavy wet in open areas near the top of Black Mtn. It got very slushy as the afternoon wore on and temps got to 50 degrees. I wore shorts and polypro Tshirt the whole day and was warm enough. Contrast that with Hi-Tec polyurethane coated hiking boots and Swiss Army gaiters, but hey, whatever is comfortable.
GPS track was 8.75 miles in 8 hrs 20 mins. Going was very slow esp descending Lincoln Trail, which is eroded and rooty. Much glissading and walking beside footpath for better footing.
A fine day on the hill, and we are grateful, but winter'll soon be here.