Thread: Mount Monadnock State Park ranger Jim Johnson

Mount Monadnock State Park ranger Jim Johnson

This link posted by a "Friend of The Cohos Trail" on the Trail's Facebook page. I didn't know the man, but I have heard many good things about him. Sad and darn scary.

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/01...06I/story.html
    Miehoff

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    Very sad! I have always found the older rangers at the store and on Monadnock to be very helpful with information and history! There was a story further down that indicated it was possibly the same person that was shot during a burglary investigation later on.
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Jim was a wonderful human being. I had known him, hiked with him and even did some trail work with him for several years. He was someone who has touched many of your lives though you may have never known it. Yes, he was a summer Ranger at Monadnock for several years but most of all he loved doing trail work. If you've ever hiked the Marlboro trail at M, well that was his baby. He spent countless hours keeping that trail in tip top shape. He and Carol had also adopted the Dublin Trail. You could often find Jim doing trail work or reblazing trails on M. Besides his work at M he maintained the Greenleaf Trail up Lafayette and I believe Star Lake Trail from Madison Hut to Adams. He spent many hours this past summer helping Larry Davis on Osgood Trail. I know a lot of the trail workers on this site worked with Jim and could add more about his contribution to the hiking community. He and Carol were about the easiest going couple you'd ever want to meet. This whole incident makes no sense to me at all. I do know Jim and Carol will be missed, not only for the work they did, but for the good people that they were. RIP my friends!!!!
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry

Wow, how horrible. Thank you, kerry13, for sharing their memory; it's possible I may have met Mr. Johnson at Monadnock. Lights have gone out, I'm sorry.

Ugh. This is terrible. I did trailwork with him this summer on the Dublin trail and did a week with them both at Camp Dodge with the AMC several years ago. Real nice folks. RIP. so sad.
    Chris

USFS Trails Volunteer / Adopter: West Side Trail (Mt. Chocorua), Sawyer River trail; USFS vol axe instructor; Chatham Trails Association (CTA), Trailwrights

"If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend four sharpening my ax" Abraham Lincoln

Horrible, horrible tragedy. Hard to believe this could happen anywhere period, but especially in a place so beautiful as this. (I am currently *in* Sedona.) More than a bit disconcerting to know that the killer is still out there somewhere.

Edit: Or maybe he's not... http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/09...erent-murders/
    Last edited by Snowflea; 01-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.

RIP Jim and Carol

Now that I am a bit over the shock, I can say I knew both of them. Gentler and more generous people you'll never find. Trailwork with both at Cardigan Lodge, and with Jim several times at Mt Monadnock. A hike up DWS Tr on Madison two years back, and we had to descend Osgood Tr because too windy at the junction... I am going to miss them.
    Tomorrow I aim to ring the church where Carol sang in Nelson. If there are to be calling hours or a public funeral I will post here ASAP.
    At the very least there will be memorial toasts on mountaintops... I have another remembrance in mind for later.
    With heavy heart, I remain

Creag nan drochaid

Oh boy. Let's stay on track, please.

Didn't mean for this to turn into an anti-gun discussion. Maybe we can stay away from the propaganda?
    Miehoff

Jim

I knew Jim from Monadnock and was involved in several rescues with him. In fact, he gave me some summit horizon maps for the mountain. He was a great guy and this is a senseless tragedy.
    My hiking photos

Map of Mountains I've climbed: Map

35/35 Catskill 3500

It's heartwarming to see such wonderful stories of friendship and comraderie to honor Jim and Carol.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Jim was originally hired at Monadnock because of his love of the mountain and his unselfish desire to make a difference with helping out on trails.

Carol loved the mountain deeply that brought them together.

I know that one of the greatest tributes anyone can give to them, is to smile in their memories the next time you behold a scene of mountain beauty.

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Appears now that officials have confirmed that the sheriff's deputy, Jim and Carol were indeed all killed by the same rifle and presumably by the same man who was killed in a shoot out with law enforcement after the deputy was shot.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...an-2463572.php
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry