Adventures in Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was singing a different tune, wasn't I?:eek::eek:;)

The description in the Maine Mountain Guide was a bit understated. I think if I had been more prepared, then it wouldn't have been as much of a surprise.Or I can at least tell myself that.:rolleyes:

Wonderful reports, wonderful pics!! I am totally living vicariously through them at the moment. I am super jealous of your views from the Brothers. It was all clouded over when I was there. I caught only the slightest glimpse of Fort and then it was gone again into misty whiteness.

Can't wait til I am able to get back there. Hunt trail is one of my favorites, and as soon as I trust my health, I must go play on the Travelers. For now, I am going to go enjoy your pics again. Awesomeness.

Drool...great pics, Tuco...I can't wait to go to Baxter at the end of the month, five days, no lists to chase, just hiking for hiking's sake!:)

Una dogger- thanks. Could have kept taking pictures, every step and change of weather brought new amazing views. And yes, list-less hiking, I can now appreciate that.:)

Only problem is another 12 months till a return??

The trip had so many things to appreciate. The Travelers Loop had so much variation in terrain....woodland walking around ponds, steep ledges, lookouts, miles of above treeline, dwarf birches, and slides. North Brothers is a wonderful summit....looking at Travelers in the distant, Mt. Fort, Davis Pond and Mt. K. The Hunt trail was amazing....then the Tableland....then the summit of Mt. K. with through hikers celebrating.

As important to the trip as the incredible wilderness was the very special companionship, humor, celebration and reflection that the group brought. I can't think of a better group of people to be with and share the experience.

Eric, thanks for all the trail time together as we worked on the 67. Marty, thanks for all your enthusiasm and advice when we took on the Maine peaks and for your companionship on the Crockers. Mike, thanks for all your planning....what a great plan it was. Jason, I was very glad to finish both the Winter 48 & the 67 with you there. Larry, you always bring your special brand of humor to the trail which always makes long hikes seem shorter.

A great trip!!!!

Here are some pics from N. Traveller. As said previously, Marty and I did this hike instead of the loop so we wouldn't be gassed for Coe, the Brothers, and Fort the next day.

The rock up there was fractured in really angular patterns.
2365435690099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

This cobblestone looking section was really cool. Even though this looks like many smaller rocks, its really all bedrock!
2280727150099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

:D

Traveler has some unique geology .... Not too far off the mark on the arrow head making. Not that I've ever been there, but the writer of the Roadside Geology Book for Maine devotes many pages to Traveler region. It includes volcanic pillow lava and columnar jointing like Jason caught so well in his pictures. Arrow head making may not be far off mark either. Writer says Traveler has flint and chert "essentially identical" to Mt Kineo by Moosehead which was famous for its arrow head and implement making by native americans. The Trout Brook valley is supposed to be incredibably rick in fossil plants and stuff. Traveler is volcanic origin similar to Ossippee Range.

Loved reading your reports! Pictures of the Owl were great! Kudos to you all!

Last edited:
Wonderful reports, wonderful pics!! I am totally living vicariously through them at the moment. I am super jealous of your views from the Brothers. It was all clouded over when I was there. I caught only the slightest glimpse of Fort and then it was gone again into misty whiteness.

Can't wait til I am able to get back there. Hunt trail is one of my favorites, and as soon as I trust my health, I must go play on the Travelers. For now, I am going to go enjoy your pics again. Awesomeness.

Well, I hope you have the same luck that I did the second time around. The first time I hit the Brothers it had rained the night before and was totally foggy from trailhead to the the top. I opted out of doing the full loop and just did N. Brother as a result. This second time around, the views totally rocked from the base of the Coe Slide to Fort.:cool: Hope you are able to get back up to Baxter really soon!

My thanks to everyone for their congratulations and positive comments. They are greatly appreciated. :)

Marty

Nice work everyone! Looks like you did Ray proud with wonderful companionship, terrific views, and enough adventure to keep things interesting. Thanks for sharing!