3,000 Miles and 1,000,000 feet - It's A Good Start, 6/30/2007 to 5/12/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
:)

As it is with reaching many milestones, the accomplishment is often a personal achievement, but others might be interested in the story. Completing one of the lists is perhaps the most common milestone we hear about in the hiking community, but there are others that can feel just as good.

Sue and I have enjoyed such an accomplishment; here’s the short version of the story…..

Early in 2007 I found myself without a hiking partner. Jumping on hikes posted on-line that looked interesting along with completing some solo hikes became my standard approach. Steve had a Bonds Traverse posted for June 30 that I saw a couple days before the hike date. I sent a note asking if there was room for me to join and he confirmed there was indeed plenty of room. The hike included Steve, Christa, Amicus, Katharine, Sue, and me. I was meeting and hiking with Katharine, and Sue for the first time. We enjoyed a terrific day on a south-north traverse and I came away with some great memories and new friends. In the course of the hike I got the impression Sue would be a lot of fun to share hikes with. Part of that feeling came late in the hike when I started making noises about adding Hale and Sue was eager to head for one more peak when we reached the area. We didn’t make the turn onto Lend-A-Hand but stayed with the others and finished the hike the way we started, as a group.

During the drive back to Lincoln Woods to retrieve the other vehicles we talked about our hiking plans. Sue was finishing her all-season 4K’s and listed her remaining peaks. I mentioned my hike plans, which had a lot of overlap with Sue’s remaining peaks; one was a Twins-Galehead-Garfield Traverse the following week. I invited Sue to join the hikes but she declined. We didn’t hike together again until September when we got together for a Double Hit & Run (Cabot and Hale). Our first hike together was a big traverse and our second was a Hit & Run day. Who knew this would become normal for us?

During the Cabot & Hale Double Hit & Run, I told Sue about my plans for a Wildcats-Carters-Moriah Traverse and invited her to join the hike. Again, she declined claiming six 4K peaks in one day seemed a little intimidating. I completed the hike solo.

One other hike we completed in late October, 2007 was again with Amicus; we hiked the Wapack Trail end-to-end (north-south). Sue had some free weekend time and decided to try another long, multi-peak day to see if it was something she enjoyed. We had a terrific day, including the final few miles on Mount Watatic with headlights.

We never hiked together again until February 2008; this time with Amy on Franconia Ridge. During 2008 we got together for 27 hikes. By mid-year we were hiking partners; hiking together on nearly every hike we completed. In addition, we were enjoying some really interesting long, multi-peak hikes; multiple Presi Traverses, Kilkenny Ridge Traverse, multiple Wildcats-Carters-Moriah traverses, multiple Hale-Zealand-Bonds Traverses, and some fun big loops. The loops and combinations were all based on the hike specs of a Presi Traverse, which became our baseline specs for hike planning. We’re having fun now! For even more entertainment we decided to hike a 30-30 (30 peaks in 30 days). That gets a little more interesting if you mainly have only weekends for hiking. Sue tossed in some vacation days and we did some big hikes.

In 2009 we increased to 56 hikes generally following the same hike planning approach. We did more 30-30 months, more big traverses, including a traverse of Osceolas-Tripyramids-Whiteface-Passaconaway, Thornton Gap to Ferncroft (killer car spot), and more crazy combinations. On one weekend, Sue had something else that took priority and I was on my own. On that day I hiked a triple hit & run (Hale, Hancocks, and Tecumseh). I believe Sue was a little disappointed I did that without her and we needed to fit a similar plan into our hiking schedule at some point, which we did.

Up to the beginning of 2010 we were carefully planning our hikes to fit The Grid. Even though we never said we were hiking The Grid it was our approach. In January 2010 we decided to focus on completing our hiking of The Grid together. We sorted out the new peak list that would get us both to 576 together and had a common objective. Hiking The Grid together with the combined list meant both of us would have peaks to re-hike. Along with continuing to work on The Grid, we spent time in Vermont and Maine together. Sue finished her New England Four Thousand Footers, and I re-started the NE4K’s that had been on the back burner for a while. The 2010 hike count reached 64 hikes completed.

In 2011 we had our highest annual hike count to date with 69 hikes completed. Most of the opportunities for big traverses had already been hiked so we found ourselves regularly hiking double and triple hit & runs. Trailhead hopping can be a lot of fun but the added logistics issues make planning the day a little more difficult. Sometimes we finished later than planned but hiking after dark is something with which we are both completely comfortable. Everything always turned out fine; we were always able to find the truck at the end of the day.

Late in 2011 I started looking at a few things and realized we were closing in on a milestone I never expected we would reach. At the rate we were hiking, in a few months we would pass 3,000 miles and 1,000,000 feet of elevation gain hiked together. I know this isn’t unusual for a lot of people that have been at it for a while. But, I never expected to be fortunate enough to reach such a milestone with a single hiking partner. Sue is an amazing hiking partner, and a wonderful friend.

A few weeks ago we passed the 3,000 mile mark while hiking Owl’s Head. Our most recent hike of The Wildcats put us past 1,000,000 feet of elevation gained together. Sue and I have covered a lot of ground together.

As I said at the beginning, this is an accomplishment that I admit is mainly personally satisfying. I also know there are many that enjoy following our hiking activities through the posted reports and slideshows. Hopefully, this condensed version will provide some perspective on all of the pieces of the on-going story that get posted each week.

Stay tuned……….

Earl: Congratulations to the two of you. I (and, I expect, many others) appreciate the fact that you are very welcoming to other hikers who join you on your epic trips. I have been glad to have been part of a small percentage of your miles/elevation gain. Larry

Impressive. Congratulations!

Tim
Thanks Tim.

Earl: Congratulations to the two of you. I (and, I expect, many others) appreciate the fact that you are very welcoming to other hikers who join you on your epic trips. I have been glad to have been part of a small percentage of your miles/elevation gain. Larry
Hey Larry,

Thanks. You are always welcomed to join the party. I hope we manage to share a few hikes together this year. Most of our planned hikes will be a little more "normal", including the start times.

;)

Congratulations Earl & Sue

I'm pleased to have shared one of those hikes with you and Sue. I'll say it once again ... The regularity of the hikes you two organize have provided countless opportunities for others to do 4K hikes with a group promoting safe hiking practice. Not to mention the good fellowship you promote in the hiking community. To that I salute you. By the way .... where do you and Sue stand with regard to the Grid? You must be getting close?

Ray

I'm pleased to have shared one of those hikes with you and Sue. I'll say it once again ... The regularity of the hikes you two organize have provided countless opportunities for others to do 4K hikes with a group promoting safe hiking practice. Not to mention the good fellowship you promote in the hiking community. To that I salute you. By the way .... where do you and Sue stand with regard to the Grid? You must be getting close?

Ray
Thanks Ray,

I hope you have that antler mounted someplace that provides a constant reminder of our excellent hike to Isolation. That was a really good day. :D

Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

As far as The Grid is concerned, we have a few holes to plug. The openings are spread out over the next few months. We’re close but still have some miles to hike.

Simply awesome, Earl and Sue! I love the ways you guys hike. Congratz.
Thanks Mike,

Quite often our approach is a little unconventional. I recall Sue telling me anytime she left the house to hike after 4:00am was sleeping-in. We regularly meet at 4:00am, and Sue has nearly an hour’s drive to get here. You do the math.

When we first started hiking together I was very concerned about asking Sue to meet me before 7:00am.

And now…..

Sometimes we need an early wake-up time (~2:00am) to meet at ~4:00ish.

Sometimes we need a crazy wake-up time because we plan to meet as early as 2:00am.

I’ve learned this approach isn’t for everybody.

It’s always fun to see the sunrise. And, with the length of some of our hikes we also get to see the sunset later the same day.

:eek:

Wow! Lots of miles and uphills. Thanks for including me in a few of your trips. Keep it up!
Thanks Bobby,

Lots of downhills too!

Isn’t it about time for us to get together again for another mountain adventure? We’ve been saving a place in line for you. We’ll send you home in one piece. I promise.

;)

Congrats! A Worthy accomplishment!

Thanks for always giving me an accurate heads up on my adopted trail.

and I consider it to be a pleasure that the first person I bumped into from the Forums after joining VFTT (besides you Kevin, that's a given) was Earl and Sue one summer on the Tripyramids. A humid, stuffy sort of day, with a T-storm rolling around. they had just come up the Slide route. Happy trails to both of you!

Those are some impresive stats Earl! Nice work.
Thanks, Ian.

Congrats! A Worthy accomplishment!

Thanks for always giving me an accurate heads up on my adopted trail.
Thanks, Jim.

That’s a really fun trail and you work hard to keep it that way. I’m happy to provide any information I can that might be helpful in your efforts that benefit everyone using the trail. It’s just an extra set of eyes.
;)

Great stuff Earl and Sue

always a pleasure to run into you on the trails

continued good luck with your quest!!!!
Thanks, Mark.

It’s always a pleasure to bump into you as well. Hopefully we’ll see you on the trails again real soon.
:cool:

and I consider it to be a pleasure that the first person I bumped into from the Forums after joining VFTT (besides you Kevin, that's a given) was Earl and Sue one summer on the Tripyramids. A humid, stuffy sort of day, with a T-storm rolling around. they had just come up the Slide route. Happy trails to both of you!
Hey Fisher Cat,

I remember that day very well, and so do you.

Both of us had trouble on the North Slide. Sue took a fall on some wet slabs and opened cuts on her arm and fingers. While taking care of her injuries, Sue dropped her camera and needed to retreat down the slide to retrieve the thing. I was trying to get to a position where I could park and wait and also went down on the wet slabs nearby dislocating my right shoulder. Suddenly I had something to do while Sue finished up. Eventually we re-grouped and continued up the slide because down didn’t look good at all (we had already been there). After these fire drills, the day got better. We bumped into you between the peaks.

Descending the South Slide went a little better.

All good memories.

:D

That is a great achievement for you both. I have never met you or Sue but when I read your reports it's like reading about old friends. I always enjoy your reports and photos and look forward to more. Best of luck on the grid and where ever else you trek. BTW, any count on how many snowmen Sue has made?

My memory is bad and I keep no records ( except for the 14ers in CO and CA) but I remember meeting you just below the platforms on Mt. Liberty maybe 5 years ago? you where with unfrozencaveman pursueing the winter 48. Youve come along way Earl, I hope you have many more safe miles ahead of you.

Here are some comparisons

AT total elevation gain: 490,694 feet - 2175 miles
PCT total elevation gain: 546,880 feet - 2650 miles
CDT total elevation gain: 407,708 feet - 3100 miles

So you have the AT and the PCT under your belt elevation wise but are short on distance ;)

Another comparison: Ski mountaineer/professional athlete Greg Hill has ski-toured 1 million vertical feet in one ski season and 2 million in one year. (That's climbing on foot not by machine...)
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=556&Itemid=1
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=608&Itemid=66

Doug

My memory is bad and I keep no records ( except for the 14ers in CO and CA) but I remember meeting you just below the platforms on Mt. Liberty maybe 5 years ago? you where with unfrozencaveman pursueing the winter 48. Youve come along way Earl, I hope you have many more safe miles ahead of you.
Thanks sierra,

It was January 1, 2006. That was my first winter hiking season.

Excelent report and congratulations! I am very happy for you both. :D :D

I guess your feet are feeling better?
Thanks Little Rickie,

My feet are not better but the tubes really help. They are only good for a couple hikes before needing to be replaced. Last week I should have gone with new ones but didn't. I paid for it on the exit from Carter Dome.

:(

So you have the AT and the PCT under your belt elevation wise but are short on distance ;)
Interesting comparison of distance and elevation.

;)

Another comparison: Ski mountaineer/professional athlete Greg Hill has ski-toured 1 million vertical feet in one ski season and 2 million in one year. (That's climbing on foot not by machine...)
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=556&Itemid=1
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=608&Itemid=66

Doug
I'm a little confused with this one, but that's probably not surprising. What's your point?

I take this as some sort of performance comparison. It looks like you're comparing an old guy with a bad heart to a professional athlete.

:rolleyes: