Trail conditions and best route to test my ski pulk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
Hi I am a novice XC skier, looking for a good and somewhat longer route to test pulling my pulk on skis.
There are two routes I have in mind:

From 302, take Zealand trail, Ethan Pond trail via Shoal Pond to Still water junction. I've never been on Shoal pond, and saw that there are couple of water crossing on the map. Does anyone has any information about the crossing conditions, or general is this a good route for a novice to test the pulk?

Another route is Lincoln Woods , Franconia Brook to 13 Falls. Ideally if the conditions is OK, will try to loop back via Lincoln Brook trail. I've been there in there summer, not sure of winter route condition in winter. Any suggestions? Or recommendation for other options?

We would like to have longer mileage, less water crossing....

Thanks in advance!

-Hui Yeng

I'm not sure I'd recommend either of those routes for a true novice nordic skier. Also, probably a good idea to mess around with the dynamics of pulling a pulk on snowshoes, at least a little, before you go for a long tug on skis. You're talking about some fairly lengthy trips, on uneven terrain at least some of the time, with the added strangeness of a pulk in tow ... seems like a lot of variables to juggle all at once. Maybe try something more forgiving first? Livermore road, Pemi east side, Al Merrill loop, something like that? Just a thought.

Hi I am a novice XC skier...

-Hui Yeng
I've seen you ski- you're no longer a novice!

I would do the Wilderness Trail and if it's too much just do an out and back.

Sawyer River Road from 302 would be a nice run. It's seven miles of easy trail until you leave the railroad grade, and then it gets more hilly. At eight miles you can turn onto the upper Nan ski trail and break your own trail. Or you can do the upper Nan from Bear Notch Road, with the option to loop back via the snowmobile trail, or do a through trip from Bear Notch road to route 302 (about 18 miles). Lots of options.

I too have been practicing my XC skiing and pulling a pulk. I used Tripoli rd and it worked well. You do not need a pass to ski or hike the road in winter.

One thing that I did notice is if you are skiing on a non-groomed road or trail on your return trip you can now ski on the new groomed trail that your pulk created.

Last edited:
Bob, you're very kind :). That was a fun outing! The suspension bridge over East Branch was removed, right? if not that will be the ideal route. Sawyer Rive road is an interesting option too. Thanks. Was considering WIld River valley too, but the water crossing may be too much for pulk...

Thanks, and please continue sending me your suggestion, it's gonna be a long winter, I can never have too much practice! :)

From 302, take Zealand trail, Ethan Pond trail via Shoal Pond to Still water junction. I've never been on Shoal pond, and saw that there are couple of water crossing on the map. Does anyone has any information about the crossing conditions, or general is this a good route for a novice to test the pulk?
From 302 as far as the turn off to Zealand Hut should be doable with a few short spots that might be a bit difficult. Approaching the Notch involves some side-hilling and a few short steep spots and the Notch itself may be impassible with a pulk. (I have been there when it is just a steep smooth slope that you must traverse. If one of us had lost an edge, it would have been a long slide...) You are likely to want to carry the pulk through the Notch.

Once you are past the Notch, the Ethan Pond Tr is easy as far as Shoal Pond (a short distance down the Shoal Pond Tr). Beyond that, the SPT is poorly maintained, hard to follow in spots, and has four significant river crossings before Stillwater Jct.

For more detail on the EPT and SPT section, see http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?39621-Pemi-Ski-Loop-in-Less-than-30-Hours-)

In summary, I wouldn't try to take a pulk beyond the hut. (However, the route as far as Thoreau Falls or Shoal Pond is a nice BC ski.)

Doug

Just curious, what trip are you preparing for? Although I have never been to Baxter in the winter, from what I’ve seen in photos, the pull is straightforward on a tote road. If I’m pulling to Chimney pounds, I would switch to my snowshoes for that section, which I've hiked numerious times in the summer.

You don't need practice...just go to Baxter and have fun!!! I've been all over Baxter in winter, pulling a pulk and it's never been hard, just always fun! You can do it....just do it to it!