3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
August 18th thru August 21st

I realize it's a little early-6 months. But this will give people time to make plans to attend. The gathering will be the same as all other gatherings; meaning dinner out, hiking, BBQ, potluck, breakfast, socializing, and who could forget BEER. As you can see the dates 8/18-8/21 are a Wednesday thru Sunday, a little longer than the last two. Well that's for one specific reason. Audrey and Pat are finishing their 115 on Marshall that Thursday.
Well what a better way to finish such an achievement than with a ton of friends by your side.

Anyhow, here's the skinny on the events planned so far for those days.

Wenesday August 17th I am opening up my backyard to early arrivals. This will make it easier for more people to join in on Pat and Audrey's 115 on Marshall. (More details to follow).

Thursday August 18th Pat and Audrey's hike up Marshall (time of start to be announced). Dinner to follow at their choice of restaurant (also to be announced)-compliments of their VFTT family. Retire back to my place to greet any new visitors, a bonfire, maybe a couple drinks, and tents.

Friday August 19th Hiking, hiking and more hiking. Dinner will be at Crickets again this year. I will make arrangments and reservations for 7pm. It worked out great last year, they were so nice up there-even as late arrivals kept coming in.
Directions to Crickets: Get off exit 35 on I87 and head West toward the town of Peru. The restaurant in roughly 1-2 miles from the exit on the left. It sets back off the road, but is easy to find. Return to back yard for more visiting and another bonfire, make plans for Saturdays hikes.

Saturday August 20th Another day of hiking. As usual there will people going in all kinds of directions. The pot luck dinner is this night usually around 6-7 pm, no set time. There's always so much food that we eat all night, and there's alway plenty for the hikers who get back late, so don't rush.

Sunday August 21st The ending to what I see as another great gathering with alot of really great people. Breakfast at the Noonmark diner.

OK, a couple other small housekeeping thoughts.
1. The potluck, bring what you want. I'm doing BBQ chicken this year, and coleslaw.
2. Beer swap, it's a tradition. Bring a sixpack of beer from a local brew in your area, or your favorite brew in your fridge. Try one and pass another around. Actually it's just a couple really big coolers, choose your own poison.
3. Parking; It will be laid out this year so it will be a little easier to find. It is actually in a side lot just down the road from my house. Coming from the ferry in Essex it's past my house. Coming from I87 it's before. The lot is actually a Christmas tree farm, so drive slow up the dirt drive. The road will bring you along side my house and eventually behind it-plenty of room. I will mark out the road, park wherever you want-but be careful.
4. Bring a swim suit, and jump in the pool, it will be open.
5. I will have the 20'x40' tent again this year for shelter from any nasty weather that hopfully doesn't come our way.
6. Porta-potty's. I'm guessing we'll definatly need to this year. The one last year crowned the blue line. I'm going to call around for quotes, maybe a place a little cheaper, a little closer by.
7. My house is 1 hour from the Dixes; 20-30 minutes from Keene Valley; 45 minutes from the ADK Loj; 1.5 hours from Sewards;1.5 hours from Flowed Lands;15 minutes from Giant and Rocky Peak Trail.
Directions to my place
The best approach is from I87. Get off exit 32 and head east toward Wilsboro on CR 12. You will drive about 1 mile, my house will be on the left. Just past an old falling down farm house. I will have my drive marked with a VFTT sign. The parking is just before the run falling down farm house. Also marked; as VFTT parking. Look for a tan and green ranch, possibly with an abnormal number of tents in the back.
Coming from the Essex/Charlotte Ferry in Vermont-it's a little tricky. Get off the ferry and take a left at the stop sign. You will immediatly come to another stop take another right. You will drive over a good stretch, crossing railroad tracks, and passing by very nice farm land. After less than 5 minutes you will come to a very sharp left hand turn in the road. In the center of this turn is another road on the right. Take this, it drop down a hill and to a T in the road. Go right. Follow this road it's CR12. You will go over a steep hill with hairpin turns, and a fair number of ruts. This will bring you to another T and a stop sign. There is a house literally on the corner. Go right. this will bring you around a sharp left hand turn, stay left, you will be on a long staight away, which comes to crossroads. Keep going straight, up over the small hill. You are real close to the house now. Just keep your eyes peeled, it will be on the right, VFTT sign. Parking is just past my house and the falling down farm house, also on the right.
If anyone needs other directions please let me know.

Alright, I think I covered everything. Probably not though. Just keep checking back for add on's. See you all in August.

Last edited:
You know we're in. I'm sure will be in touch in the coming months to figure out what we can do to help out.

:cool: :cool: Last year was a blast, looking forward another go-round. :cool: :cool:

I am *so* there. Job be darned, I'm not missing any of it this time. :D

I will be happy to contribute to the cause, financially or otherwise.

And THANK YOU for hosting again! I can't wait!!!

Sounds Great!

Although it's a little early to commit, this gaterhing is on the calendar. Conveniently, my folks live less than ten miles away, and there is a lean-to by the lake near their house which might offer a small overflow refuge, as well as access to swimming in Long Pond, which, by then, should be mighty refreshing!

I was wondering about those directions from the ferry. Go left at the stop sign (end of ferry lot), then left again?? Wouldn't that put you back in the lake? Did you mean Right for the second turn, going south on Rte 22?

Cheers.

Whitelief you are right it is a right. I'll fix that.

As for overflow, that would be very hard to do. I could literally fit a few hundred tents in my back yard, and still have elbow room.

Last edited:
Count me in! I'll be joining Audrey and Pat for the entire week. Can't wait. I'll bring my famous quesadillas (chicken and veggie) for the pot luck.

This sounds great! A VFTT gathering without frozen beer.
I have never hiked in NY. My experience is limited to New England and a small handfull of trips out west. What is a good book that a newbie 46er should get?

If I am able to make it would Fenway Franks and clam chowder be good for the potluck?

Puck said:
What is a good book that a newbie 46er should get?

Adirondack Mountain Club
Adirondack Trails
High Peaks Region
13th Edition (new)
Includes maps

This is the equivalent of the AMC's White Mountain Guide.

Another good book is
Discover the Adirondack High Peaks
by Barbara McMartin
Associated map available.

Another good map is National Geographic
Adirondack Park
Lake Placid/High Peaks

My son Jordan (12) and I had a great time there last year! This time I won't have to ask Eastern Mountain Sports to call you and get all the details! Hope we can make it again..thx

Anyone with doubts about the size of Peak_Bgr & Hiatus' back yard can see for themselves in the pictures from last year.
:D

(let me know if my new photo album software (Gallery) gives you any trouble; I'm still fine-tuning it)

Last edited:
You know the deal by now......I am in barring any last minute tropical travel. Chances are Carmel will go with/without me. ;)

- darren