Snot funny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
I'm going to assume at least one person out there on VFTT has a college degree so could they please tell me why my nose runs like a coldwater tap when I start hiking in winter? And why do men blow their noses all over their boots whereas women, er, don't? And is this related to men "sweating" as opposed to women "glowing"? Can you tell I'm trapped indoors with my computer today? :eek:

I think too many of us are trapped indoors today...but anyway, here's my two-cents on the subject of snotty noses...cold winter temperatures make tiny water droplets in your warm, moist nose condense. These condensed droplets form big drops that get so heavy that they run right out of your nose. It is a normal reaction and actually helps keep nasty things out. Now, for what to do with this mess? My father taught me a few years ago the "cover one nostril and blow hard out the other" technique. It works quite well, but alas, many folk don't think it's very feminine! My father and I occassionally do this in unison just to see the reaction of others!

P.S. you need a good fleece mitten afterwards for the "fine cleaning."

I do have to admit that the first time I hiked with a female (name withheld for obvious reasons) who unapologetically executed a farmer blow, I was both shocked and pleased that she felt comfortable enough with me to perform this time honored ritual. I’m not saying I’m quite ready to have a flatulent contest with a female; I’m just relieved that some bodily functions are no longer cloaked in a puritanical milieu.

No, it wasn't Tmax, I haven't had the pleasure.

I have been doing the snot rocket thing since I was 12. Worked for a farmer who used to do it. Particularly gross when working in the greenhouse.

I screwed up the left nostril once and got it all down the front of me. :eek: I have never done the left nostril again. I do the right one all the time. Well, all the time out in the woods. Still haven't had the courage to try the left nostril again. ;)

Keith

KayakDan said:
The correct technical term,of course is "Snot Rockets" :D

Indeed. It's also a useful litmus test for dating. If I take a girl out who typically doesn't hike out on the trail, blow a snot rocket and she says "ewwww", then no soup for her.

I don't think it's water condensation. I think the cold irritates the mucous membranes causing vasodilation and increased secretion in order to protect those delicate linings.
BTW if I screw up my nose just right I can perform a farmer blow no hands :) which is handy in winter. My aim isn't all that great, however. :(

A quick Google search will show that “Farmer’s Blow” and “Snot Rockets” are both well represented, as well as a host of other terms describing this practice.

I personally prefer the term "Farmer’s Blow", for it has a pastoral charm to it, rather than "Snot Rockets", which I find a tad vulgar. But to each his own.

Neil said:
I don't think it's water condensation. I think the cold irritates the mucous membranes causing vasodilation and increased secretion in order to protect those delicate linings.

Condesation is sufficient to provide (at last some of) the water: inhalation cools the mucous membranes, exhalation passes 98F air at ~97% humidity over the cooled surfaces, thus condesation.

That said, it is entirely possible that there is also a contribution by the mechanism suggested by Neil.

Doug

MadRiver said:
A quick Google search will show that “Farmer’s Blow” and “Snot Rockets” are both well represented, as well as a host of other terms describing this practice.

I've always heard it called "farmer's handkerchief".

Doug

The following excerpt is taken from http://www.drgreene.com/21_650.html
and explains a bit about what might be going on when your nose runs from the cold . . . both mucus and condensation are to blame.

"Breathing cold air can also trigger nasal congestion and wheezing. Sometimes this is a purely physical effect. This happens in two ways.

First, cold air affects an important defense mechanism called mucus transport. The entire respiratory system is coated with a very thin mucous blanket. Cold air stimulates an increase in mucus production, but mucus (like other substances), becomes thicker in colder temperatures.

The second area where cold air physically affects respiratory health is in the nose tissue. The hardy nose is a remarkable organ designed to condition inhaled air to protect the delicate internal structures. When breathing through the nose, you may breathe in air at 40 or 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but within a quarter of a second, the air temperature is quickly brought to 98.6. Many tiny blood vessels, known as capillaries, bring about this temperature exchange. When a person breathes cold air, the tissues lining the nose swell as the capillaries dilate, bringing warm blood to heat the cool air. Swollen capillaries in the nose are the cause of nasal congestion (nasal congestion is backed-up blood, not increased mucus). In addition to the congestion, the mucus in the nose, as we've said, increases and becomes thicker. This happens more in some people than in others. Thus cold air, by itself, can produce both nasal congestion and stuffiness. These can be treated with decongestants and/or antihistamines. "

"Buck snort!"

Some folks in these parts refer to this time-honored tradition as a "buck snort!" Similar to the warning, "fire in the hole", it is only proper that the "buck snorter" warns others within striking distance of the imminent blast prior to launch. I've also heard people mistakenly yell "clear" getting confused with another signal of far greater consequence. BTW, it does take several years of concentrated practice and (unfortunately) misdirected targeting before one achieves competence on one side. Mastery is rarely achieved. Now the other side requires ambidexterous skills. If that all-important switch is inadvertently overlooked, one sleeve will end up in the blast zone.

I think I should get out for a while.

On the subject of snot rockets, I have mastered this artform thanks in part to Turnbill showing me how last winter. I wasn't very good at it then and I practiced a lot over the past year and am now an expert BUT I still look VERY unfeminine doing it. I guess any man wanting to be with me will just have to take the sweaty, huffing and puffing, snot-rocket blowing, smiling in the woods girl that I am :D it may not be very attractive but it works. . . I DO get VERY strange looks from people BUT it seems the most hygenic way of getting rid of the "snot" build-up . . . until I find a better way, it is the snot-rocket for me all the way . . .

Hey, does this change the preception you guys seem to have of me being an "exotic woman" ;)

sli74

Thanks Seema, now the important question; which term do you use and do you perform the technique? If so, in private, or in mixed company?

Definitely a slow day at work!

I call it the "snot rocket" or the "one fingered snot blow" and I most definitely perform it in mixed company but will usually warn that I am about to do the most disgusting thing so look away if you can't handle it . . . :D

Sometimes when hiking in mixed company, I will drop back a bit and get rid of the snot and rejoin the others ;)

I have seen many a hiker of the male variey use this technique BUT very very few of the fairer sex so maybe this is why I find myself struggling in the man dept . . . aahhh . . . maybe we are onto something here.

sli74

I find some women to be a tad disingenuous when it comes to expelling bodily fluids or gasses. Although they do it, they usually just blame it on some poor dog that happens to be nearby.

It’s refreshing (no pun intended) to see a woman practice the technique without apologies.

(They can also discretely pee while standing.)

I’ve actually seen this practiced in the wild, and it’s a marvel to behold. I didn’t want to bring up the topic for fear of pushing the etiquette envelope.