Snot funny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete Hogan said:
Some folks in these parts refer to this time-honored tradition as a "buck snort!"

This immediately made me think of the Buck Snort Barley Wine on tap during the holiday season at McNeills Brewery in Brattleboro. I had never heard the "buck snort" reference to the farmer blow before. I've added to my vocabulary knowledge...cool.

This being the Northeast, I think I'll call it the Yankee Hankie from now on. I like things that rhyme. That's probably already a documented variation on the farmer blow phrase, though. I get out my Yankee Hankie while running in cool weather as well as while hiking. Unfortunately, I can't do this inside while running on the treadmill.

Stinkyfeet said:
(They can also discretely pee while standing.)

I heard someone bragging at a shelter about this once. I didn't know the person at all so didn't ask for particulars. Is it too impolite to ask, How is this accomplished???? I feel as though my outdoor skills could be vastly improved if I could learn this trick. I promise not to show off at parties with it! ;)

unfeminine?

Unfeminine? I never really thought about it like that! I assumed everyone (male and female) used this most efficient technique, albeit some more clandestinely than others.

My doc once told me that it was good to run outdoors after the initial onset of a cold as the exertion stimulated the adrenal glands and it made your nose run and the on-the-run or on-the-hike "farmer blows" help clear a congested chest. I'd be reluctant to dispute Neil's explanation though.

(How is this accomplished????)

Hopefully a woman will chime in on this one, but to give you a quick sense of the technique, it is very similar to using two fingers to whistle.

Walking a way with my head down in shame.

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Sometimes when hiking in mixed company, I will drop back a bit and get rid of the snot and rejoin the others ;)

sli74

That is so funny! I very often do this same thing. One time, while hiking with a gentleman who joined me because he was attempting to discover what I found so life consuming about hiking, I pulled the snot rocket move. He didn't join me on another hike. So Seema, I'm with you again on gaining some clarity... P.S. I could use some hints on the discretely peeing while standing deal. It's always a production with me... I saw a woman perform this trick in the parking lot at a Dead show one time...I was impressed!

Peeing while standing.....yeah, how is this done????

If I'm out with my sister we sometimes have contests with our "snot rockets"....no need to worry though, if I'm out with a group I will try my best to be descreet about it.
-MEB

A rose by any other name is still…

...just watch which way the wind is blowing ;) . I try to be discreet.
Keep this thread in mind when sharing gorp. :eek:

Last edited:
You are more than welcome Stinkyfeet.

Although it is easier on us men, it still requires a little skill, especially if you keep the pack on. In the summer, I find the technique of just moving my wicking briefs and shorts to one side works the best. In the winter, however, it is a tad more challenging and requires a steady, albeit warm, hand to prevent a premature release that can have devastating consequences.

Am I the only one who just lets it run? No need for nose pyrotechnics, I just either let it run or use my gloves... Figuring, the more you blow, the more it runs...

:)

Jay

Much party ice-breaking material....

Thanks for all the replies. The comment by the doctor that a runny nose induced by the cold is a healthy thing confirms why I have remained so robust though living in a house full of flu-ridden children and spouse.

I'm so glad I sparked this intellectual discussion - much better than the usual subjects. I will reflect on its substantive material as I sip my Tawny Port in over-stuffed leather chair in the lounge at the Highland Centre, served to me by the Filipino houseboy, my ever-faithful though barely-trained Rottweiler at my feet, thinking I should get my Leki Extra Noisy Trekking Poles sharpened, and making sure my cellphone is charged for all the calls I'll make while hiking the following day.

By the way, The Snot Rockets would be a great name for a band. :D

For me at least, I find that it is more of a breathing issue than an aesthetic/hygiene issue for why I use the farmer blow. I just breathe better.

My favorite nose clearing story is from a trek I took in Nepal with a group of 15 or so other American men and women. I had stopped at the shady rest stop in front of a tea house with a couple other members of the group. One of our porters, an old timer with the thin droopy moustache, arrived right behind me and dropped his basket. He then proceeded to clear his nose with impressive vigor. A moment later one of the ladies in our group delicately pulled out her dainty hankie and snorted loudly into it. She critically examined her handiwork, folded the hankie and put it back into her pocket. The porter looked at me, screwed up his face and asked, “Why she save?” One can only imagine the thoughts going on inside his head!

JohnL