what is your favorite water filter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Pur Hiker, and I've had the filter clog - after about 4 days. Luckily we had a bottle of iodine tabs along (not only did they clean the water, but the Platypus went about 4 years without mildew due to absorbing iodine into itself). Now I carry a spare filter.

Next time, I'll buy one with a cleanable ceramic filter.

dougb said:
I have a Pur Hiker, and I've had the filter clog - after about 4 days. Luckily we had a bottle of iodine tabs along (not only did they clean the water, but the Platypus went about 4 years without mildew due to absorbing iodine into itself). Now I carry a spare filter.

It's always a good idea to have a backup for these kinds of things.

I also carry backups/spares for:

Lighting
Batteries
Fire making
Cutting Tool
Compass
And sometimes other things in the winter.

These things are all so light, adding them to your pack is easy.

Sweetwater Guardian

It has a collapsible lever handle that gives a lot of leverage for pumping. It's pretty light and the element can be cleaned in the field.
My only previous filter was Katahdyn with a ceramic (felt like cement) element. It weighed just barely less than a quart of water and pumped very hard and slow. So the ease of pumping alone makes me very happy with the Guardian.
Get a silt filter to prolong the filter life. They're ridiculously expensive for the amount of plastic and paper they give you, but afterwards you can make your own silt filter elements out of coffee filters.

I have the Miniworks EX and have been very happy with it. I've used it in both winter (overnight) and summer and have not had any problems with it.

I have an MSR waterworks that works, though to me field maintainable has always meant you will have to maintain it in the field. Unless I'm out in the summer during a dry period I rarely carry it, preferring Aqua Mira in most cases. During dry periods I'll bring it along as it's really good at getting at that little seeps and puddles (as would any pump filter).

I had switched to using an inline filter that I can't find in stores anymore ( I broke mine). I loved it, it was light, simple, no moving parts and didn't affect the draw on a hydration setup that much. Best of all it could be rigged as a gravity filter when in camp. I've found it available online here:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/filter2.htm

Miniworks in Winter?

Howack said:
I have the Miniworks EX and have been very happy with it. I've used it in both winter (overnight) and summer and have not had any problems with it.

Reviving this old thread after much searching.

So the consensus is that my filter won't self-destruct if I use it next week in the 'DAKs?

Not an iodine lover!

--M.

--M. said:
So the consensus is that my filter won't self-destruct if I use it next week in the 'DAKs?
--M.
I'd be sure to pump that sucker clean (no pun intended) of water before letting it sit around to long in cold temps. ;)

--M. said:
--M.
IT'S A TICKING TIME BOMB !!! :eek: ;)

There is supposed to be a risk of the filter cracking if full of water and frozen solid, but I've had mine for about 4 years and use it almost exclusively in the winter and have never had a problem. Pump it out good when finished, getting as much water out of the filter and line as you can. If you're really concerned you can disassemble it and keep the cartridge in something warm and dry.

PUR (Katadyn) Hiker...always in my pack.

Had it for at least 6 years, way before Katadyn took over... never had a problem in winter or summer, just make sure you purge the unit before stowing...turn it over and pump out the water,(or disassemble and drain) spin the tubes around a few times over your head to clear them, (keeping clear of your fellow hikers:) ). Keep it close to your body as possible in your pack, and if you really need to, use a disposable handwarmer next to it in extreme conditions.(never had to do that ...yet!)

Get a new replacement filter regularly, it's a stocking stuffer at every Christmas in my house! The new filters come with a prescreen that wraps around the filter cartridge, and is cleanable and will drastically improve filter life.

woof!

Thanks. That's the voice of experience I needed to hear. My buddy brings those horrid little pills, and even turned one of my precious Nalgene bottles orange with one two years ago. I told him if he came near me with that satanic brew again, I'd have an exorcism and pump that badness away.

But wouldn't he have the last laugh if my much heavier filter delaminated itself in a multi-kiloton explosion?

I'll carry it; I'll maintain it; I'll empty its feezing contents; but I will NOT drink the evil Jonestown chemical Kool-Aid!

Now, how about alcohol stoves? I'm lugging my heavy Optimus 8R anyway, but can I use the little one for heating water? Couldn't find a thread on cold-weather alcohol stoves.

Thanks again.

--M.

First Need, nice pure water from it, I have had water from other filters and have not been as impressed.

Chlorine dioxide tablets are my second, they need more time than iodine, but have very little taste. I use a coffee filter to pre screen any floaties

--M. said:
Now, how about alcohol stoves? I'm lugging my heavy Optimus 8R anyway, but can I use the little one for heating water? Couldn't find a thread on cold-weather alcohol stoves.

--M.
I have no experience with alcohol :eek: ...stoves. I am, however, well versed in the etiquette of the 8R, as are many "older" hikers here. I would fill that baby and burn a couple tanks of gas through it before you take it out to make sure the gasket is still good. You don't want to blow an O-Ring out there. The 8R is exciting enough on it's own. I used to carry some Coughlins fire starter paste to control the pre-ignition sequence a bit before take-off.

Last edited:
--M. said:

Not an iodine lover!
Same as Chip--I have heard that ceramic filters can crack from freezing. IIRC, some manufacturers claim that their filters can be frozen without damage. (But the ice can still clog the filter--you may have to carry it under clothing and sleep with it.)

IMO, standard procedure in winter is boiling or chemicals. I'm happy with iodine.

Alcohol stoves tend to be marginal in winter--gasoline stoves are much better.

Doug

--M. said:
I'll carry it; I'll maintain it; I'll empty its feezing contents;

--M.
Another word about the miniworks; If you've never taken it apart or it's been awhile, do that now and scrub the cartridge with some scotchbrite. It's really easy to keep clean but clogs and slows way down quickly if it's dirty.

Here is a "Photon" Stove modified for winter use. As long a the fuel is relatively warm, it works quite well even below zero.

My favorite water filter is the Bota Outback, which is really cheap, weighs next to nothing and is much faster than anything involving tubing, pumps, and finding a place to sit for 10 minutes while the mosquitoes have you for lunch.

Last edited:
Miox Purifier

Rick said:
I can't tell you anything about the funky new Mioxx :D
That funky new Miox is a pain in the bottom/ tail/ derriere. I hate to dis MSR, but every year I take it backpacking with me and within a use or two give up on it and switch to carrying a lot of fresh water whenever I hit a town or using iodine. And then I swear I not taking it again, but it romances me with its ultralight appeal. The problem is that it requires 4-5 steps any of which if they fail cause you to begin again from the start. There is a salt solution to be mixed. There is a light that is supposed to turn green. There is a wait time. There is a PH strip to be checked. There is an expensive lithium battery to be replaced...
I hope this narrows your choices.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone, but I should clarify that I'm not in the market for a new filter; I just want the one I already paid for to work (and it seems that it will).

As for the alcohol stove (great stuff, Tim Seaver, that looks cool), I'll bring it, along with its big-honkin' windscreen, and if it works, great; if not, the big ol' Optimus (all 2.5 pounds of it) has ALWAYS been a tank.

We'll also be learning about melting snow, so hopefully that solves a lot of purity problems.

Keep on truckin'...