8.21.05 47-48 Kinsman Ridge hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
On Sunday August 21st at 7:30 from the Kinsman Ridge Trail at the Cannon Mtn Tramway parking area I'll be hiking a traverse of the Kinsman Ridge. This will also include my 47 (North Kinsman) and 48 (South Kinsman) peaks! Unfortunately, this also will be my last hike in New England for quite sometime as I'll be moving out to California the next weekend.

If anyone is up for a fond farewell and 48 peak hike please come along!

You know I'll be there. I'm sure that you found a way to make your last climb the most challenging possible!

I'll be there on South Kinsman, Brian... but coming up a different route. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you fast folks on the traverse! :)

Do you have a general time estimate on when you'll be reaching S Kinsman?

- Ivy

Kinsmans

Brian -

Sorry we never met, and I wish I could be there on Sunday, but family birthdays prevent that. Early congrats and best wishes on the move. :)

You sure take the hardest routes possible!

Hey - I think there are mountains in California! ;)

Good choice on South Kinsman as a 48. I really enjoyed that summit, just not the hike up Fishin Jimmy to get there. I unfortunately wont be able to make it as I will be wandering around the pemigewassett wilderness and bagging #30-36 (as well as checking off waterfalls from my personal waterfalls worth seeing list).

Brian, which direction are you going from? Are you doing the entire Kinsman Ridge Trail or just to The Kinsman?

-Dr. Wu

sapblatt said:
Why does everyone hate this trail? :confused: I loved it...very pretty and some cool rocks to scramble over (with steps.)

Fishin Jimmy is in my top three of worst trails ever (along with Garfield Ridge and Osgood...) because it was slippery, extremely buggy and took forever to descend... it seems to go on a lot longer than the mileage indicates! I'm sure my level of tiredness on that particular trip also played a role too, as with the other trails I didn't like much.

- Ivy

Brian - I'll be heading up with Ivy. I think we are starting at 2am to get to S Kinsman before you ;)

You will be sorely missed in the North East so save your Frequent Flyer miles for trips back to visit your family :)

Bob

Brian,
The whole trail all the way to 112? Nice. Very cool way to end your 48.If theres room for me on this hike, Id be willing to join you on Sunday.

Depending on turnout, and if car pooling becomes an issue,I live in Bow off 89 near Concord and I could always jam people into my van.

A great way to end your 48, I really enjoyed doing this traverse over the Cannon Balls to the Kinsmans. I wish I could be there...it was nice meeting you this summer.

Good luck on 47 & 48. Sorry I won't be able to join you but I'll be in Maine that weekend. I agree with Ivy on the "F'in Jimmy" trail. My others on that list are Daniel Webster, Six Husbands, Osgood.

Be warned - you may find yourselves full of extreme dislike for the entire length of the trail from Eliza Brook shelter to Rte 112. Also, Eliza Brook is your last water so filter and fill up there. Of course, everything I know about the area, Ivy knows as well, so you'll be fine. :)

I thought one of the neatest spots was crossing the power line cut through what was formerly known as Kinsman Notch (before that name was moved to Rte 112).

Enjoy, and congrats in advance!

(sorry I can't be there; I'll be in NY .... hopefully there will be other hike opportunities before you vanish!)

Brian, I'm sorry I won't be able to make your final hike as I'll be in Sebago Lake with Family. We're certainly going to miss you.. especially since we will be losing a friend to play Sequence with.. and WIN.. as well as someone to have moose on their campsite. :D

I am sending Sherpa John over late in the AM to hopefully meet up with everyone on the ridge, I'll send my regards with him.

Good luck!

Hi there,
Count me in on this one. Looking forward to getting #'s 30 & 31! I did Cannon last weekend, should have done Ike instead... Oh Well, who knew? Let me know about carpooling, I can fit one other person in my car, unless people don't mind being squished in the back of the Mini. ;) See you bright and early. Christine