moe.down, Allen and the Santa Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arm

Reaction score
cruised out to New York over the weekend for live music & hiking

left home friday, opting for a country drive across scenic Vermont, after remembering the horror show of driving west on route 90 on labor pain weekend two years before

cruising across VT route 73, listening to cool tunes, checking out great views of Vermont's farmlands and mountain scenery was so peaceful, i didn't want the drive to end ... rode the Fort Ticonderoga Ferry across Lake Champlaign and drove across NY to Snow Ridge Ski Area in Turin, where i met Shizzmac, Chad, Sarah, Poolio and dozens of moe. friends, camping out for the weekend
http://www.moe.org/moedown6.htm

great music friday and saturday, fun times at basecamp with tasty food cooked by Chad, Shizzmac, and moe. friends, and many beers made it tough to convince anyone to leave the festival early to hike the Adirondacks

packed camp and drove toward Upper Works early sunday, then hit the yellow disc trail, past lakes, across private land and dirt roads, until i crossed the bridge over Opalescent River

a short while later, two young deer jumped out of the woods and leapt over some blowdown - amazing how high they can jump

when yellow discs run out near Lower Twin Brook, follow straight ahead and there's plenty of orange flagging - once you find it, the herd path is obvious all the way to Allen Brook

Allen Brook's slide lived up to it's slickery reputation - at times i'd wonder if i should've brought crampons, or whether even they would've helped

checked out views from the summit before heading down

woke the next morning and cruised back to Newcomb to grab fresh headlamp batteries and breakfast, then cruised back to hike the Santanoni Range

spotted VFTT friend's names in the register before i hit the trail, reaching Bradley Pond in good time

hearing horror stories from many folks about Bradley Pond's famous Boot Sucking Mud, i wasn't expecting to reach all three summits in a day, but the mud wasn't bad, once you got good at poking around in it with your treking pole and found corduroy, branches or rocks that would keep you from sinking into the deep dark BSM

funny how you're walking into these mud puddles on your way in, concerned about sinking in past your ankle, then on your way out you inherit the more casual "i could care less if i posthole up to my armpits in mud" approach :)

spotted the well-traveled herd path near the beaver pond and headed west, around Bradley Pond, until i reached Panther Brook, which was easier to ascend than Allen Brook - made good time reaching the "false Times Square"

i brought the "Times Square Map", but current conditions from there are different than what i expected ... when i reached the "false Times Square", the lowest junction on the map below, the trees had letters carved into them, but someone had brushed in the path that leads up towards the "knoll" on the map:
http://www.adirondackjourney.com/images/Santanoni_Range/Times Square Map.jpg

someone had scratched the letters "C" and "S" into a rock with a left arrow, with a clear path that leads you to the real Times Square, about 200 feet away

someone had scratched the letter "P" with a right arrow onto another rock, and this path led directly to Panther Peak, with a few mud puddles on the way

i decided to start with Panther, so i could get a good view of how the ridges toward Santa and Couch were laid out ... very good views from Panther's false summit were outshined by limited views from the real summit, if you climb onto the rock there

hiked back and found Times Square, then headed toward Couch, which nobody on the paths had anything good to say about ... i enjoyed the walk over there, despite rumours that the "Legendary Couchie Swamp" would devour me

mud wasn't bad, and if the Marshalls have really added Couchie to the list of 46 High Peaks as some cruel joke on those who follow their steps, i couldn't hear them laughing - too busy enjoying being outdoors to wear a frown on a beautiful summer day

Couchsachraga means "Land Of The Beavers", according to Barbara McMartin's guide, which has some great info about the High Peaks region, aside from the actual routes to these peaks

hiked back to Times Square and over to Santanoni, enjoying fine views there before heading back, down Panther Brook and back to my car - satisfied that i was able to reach all four Allen/Santa summits in two day hikes, and scope out routes for a future Winter trip

there was a sign posted at the Old MacIntyre Blast Furnace on the road heading in to Upper Works, letting folks know that residents from the Town of Newcomb are planning to meet there on Sept 11 around 2:30PM to tell tales of the history of this area, as part of their Teddy Roosevelt Weekend celebration

Last edited:
damn, fitting moe. down and hiking into one weekend, very jealous, I had to settle for JUST hiking! oh well, good to see a fellow jamband fan on VFTT

arm!!
i was at moedown, too! but i didn't see you.
and i didn't hike at all. :(
glad you got both in. :)

The ADK guide calls Couchsachraga as being "dismal wilderness" and I believe an Algonquin term. Nice report Arm, going to check out the photos soon.

I was in Newcomb a two weekends ago and saw the signs for the TR celebration. On Rt 28N going towards Upper Works from Warrensburg, you can see an old shack on the north side with a metal plaque. Also the small park in Newcomb, just before Lake Harris has awesome views in it.

Seems like Newcomb is so much into Teddy Roosevelt much like anything in the catskills seem to be Rip Van Winkle...:)

Jay

Way to go Arm!

and VFTTers wonder why I like hiking with Arm....it's because i can be sure, no matter what else is going on....there's always time for some really good hiking...what a trooper! You go boy! ;)

oh man, the moedown and hiking!!! I would have loved to hit the moedown. damn. Though I can see how it would be tough leaving early. Also good to see some fellow jamband folk around here. Originally from RI, since I moved to NH, it has been better for my hiking, but worse for my concert-going since Providence was right around the corner for me and now not much goes down in NH for music... well it does, just not as much.

nice report... i was going to go to moe.down BUT had a wedding.. it wsa fine as it was my buddies :D

did moe.down last year damn fine festie..

sara and i did hit gathering of the vibes... THAT was a blast.

happy jambanding/hiking

I love the Santa hat on the Santanoni peak....wish I would have thought of that.

I love your comment about the boots and how we try not to get them muddy on the way in but on the way out we don't care where we step. How true. Adam and Kyle both asked me to take pics of them standing in the mud. I think they heard about how much it costs for a mud bath and figured they were getting one for free today.

Wish we could have hiked with you. Hiking is 90% attitude, atleast that's what I tell my kids and the Maxsons (people we hiked with). Think happy thoughts and it will be fun even when you are up to your armpits in mud.

Nice report!

Nice trip report, arm. I love the Saint Anthonys, especially Couchy. It separates the true trampers from the rest... Wait till you do them in winter!!!

arm said:
moe. is playing snoe.down at Olympic Center in Lake Placid, march 17-18 ... we should gather friends that weekend for live music and Winter hiking
http://www.moe.org/snoedown2.htm

The last concert I saw there was a smoking Dead show back in ... hmm, I think it was ... or maybe it was ......

Great report Arm sounds like you really took advantage of a couple of days off
It was interesting to read your report and Cantdog's; two very different perspectives of the same hike. I agree with Dianne it is all in your attitude.
I also agree with the comment about work vs. hiking and I actually like work.
A mud angel would have been cool to cross on the trail :eek:
Al

yo - Arm, excellent use of time!! Enjoyed the great vibes from your post and know you had hours of mind clearing, fresh air breathing, solo talking fun!

Now... about the TR stuff... you really should have paid closer attention in history class (or maybe we got it double ~ State history then American history) TR's inaugural site is located at a mansion here in Buffalo on Delaware Avenue.

TR Inaugural Site
and
The Wilcox Mansion

Just to set the record straight...
By the time Roosevelt had completed the exhausting 15-hour journey to Buffalo, President McKinley had indeed succumbed to his injuries. Deeply saddened over McKinley's tragic death, yet knowing that the country must not be long without a leader, Roosevelt arrived at the home of his friend Ansley Wilcox. Here, in the library of this stately Greek Revival house, Roosevelt became the 26th President of the United States.[Sept. 14, 1901]

Not sure what the plaque in Newcomb commemorates.

Last edited: