Monroe,Washington,Clay via Ammon.& Jewel ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
this looks to be about 11 or 12 miles on the map, is that correct ?
I'm taking my nephew up Washington next week, should I stay on the east side with the sun, Tuckerman or Lion Head and Boott Spur or do the west side ? This is the start of the NH list for both of us. We're prepared for snow, cold and ice and won't be distraught if we don't summit, more interested in a good day of hiking. thanks for your help.

Both the east and west approaches are nice, but rather different. I suggest you do them both--perhaps on different weekends...

The west route also offers the option of Clay and Jefferson.

Doug

Lions Head

Chip, there are so many excellent approaches to Washington. For your first time up I suggest checking out Pinkham Notch Camp and ascending via Lion Head, one of the classic routes. If the weather cooperates you'll have a great time. Stu :)

yes, I'm pretty sure we'll do Lion Head up and Boott Spur down.
I wonder when the summer route/winter route change happens, not that it matters much.

Your mileage is correct for the west side. I think the west side loop you propose is a little easier if that's a concern. Ammo has a lot of ledge on top half that will make a descent a little more risky if the weather turns wet and you turn back. Jewell is a pretty easy descent. Views from both sides are just great. It is a real toss up. Both loops are pretty popular and you're likely to have plenty of company. Note if you park in Ammo parking area it is free if you have decal, but if you plan to exit Jewell at Cog instead of trekking the extra 3/4 mile to Ammo parking it will cost you an extra $5 to park there.

One thing to keep in mind, the descent down Boott Spur after the junction with the Boott Spur Link is not very well maintained and can be quite frustrating after a long day of hiking. I personally would op for the shorter Boott Spur Link, which although steep, will get you to the relatively benign Tuckerman Trail in only .6 miles. From there, it is an easy walk to Pinkham.

thanks, that's good info. I'm not worried about the energy required, we're both in good shape. I'm more concerned about the weather and getting the most out of the day, regardless. I'm assuming the east side with the morning sun and view of the summit may be a safer bet if things begin to deteriorate.
But I'm not sure, which is why I ask.

Of course, keep in mind that after noon, the sun will be on the west side of the ridge so, you will actually have less daylight. Plan to get down at least an hour before sunset, to be on the safe side.

If you were to do the west side loop, know that while Jewell isn't ledgy, it has lots of talus up top which can make for slow going.

Either way, give yourself plenty of time and have fun!

Bring lights just in case.

I prefer West side over East, did East 1st time via Lion's Head back on 08/12/92. I've been up Huntington twice since but not up any other Eastern route with 7 or 8 from the West or South.

Now I find myself planning on going back to LH in mid-late November as a warm up to a late December winter trip. For the Presidential's I like getting in a November Hike to get a sampling (it's really quite different but more like December than July :D )

IMO West better, Upper Ammo can be slick if below 32 degrees the night before & you're up there early. East has the Pinkham Notch Community which if you're up there for the 1st time probably should be experienced unless you prefer less people (it's Washington, it's fall there will be plenty with possible exceptions of Nelson Crag & GG approaches)

Jim lombard said:
The Western route is far more interesting in my opinion, doing all three is 13 miles and about 4,800 feet of vertical (we went all the way down to Sphinx col.)

thanks, that's a great report. I was hoping the crowds would be diminished by Oct 8, I really am hoping to avoid a cattle-call.
Oh well, regardless, this is our first time there, it won't be our last.
Plenty of time to plan other routes.

John L. & I did a Western trip over a few Presidentials the weekend after Columbus Day & it was pretty cool but no snow & crowds were not too bad. Columbus Day is usually the beginning of the end, especially if the leaves are early....