Huntington Ravine question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about climbing up the Huntington Ravine trail later this week if the weather's good.

I've been up King Ravine. Is Huntington really that much harder?

Also, would it be worthwhile to bring my rock climbing shoes or approach shoes for the steep section instead of just wearing my hiking boots?

Thanks.

Yes, it's a fair bit more steep than the King Ravine Trail. No, do not bother to bring approach or climbing shoes. Hiking boots will do just fine.

It's a little harder, with more exposure being the main concern. There are 2-3 places where if you fall you can easily hurt yourself. Boots are fine, you'll want them for all the rough rock anyways.

headwall02.jpg

Right behind Brenda you can see the blazes on the rock. It's steep and sheer, but it doesn't go too far before cutting over to places with more cover.

-dave-

When I wore my Merril wilderness boots I had a tough time. When I wore my soloman aquatech water sneakers I walked right up that place in Daves picture.

When my daughter was 12 I took her up Huntingtons and she also wore sneakers and had no problems, but that was her second mountain so she was pretty experienced. We call it the Hobbitt Trail cause the approach is like your walking in the Shire, but we both agree we don't have to go to the top, it's better to cut across the Alpine Garden and find another trail down.

grog

This might seem obvious, but it's worth saying anyway. Don't forget to stop, turn, and enjoy the amazing views in/from the ravine. I've seen quite a few people get tunnel vision in the ravine, like they're on a mission just to get to the top. Yeah, you want to get to the top, but stop along the way and smell the roses. On a good weather day, it's a beautiful hike. Do what Brenda is doing in Dave's picture.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses and advice.

One more question. Do the Huntington ravine ledges dry out quickly after rain? I'm thinking of going tomorrow, and the weather is supposed to be good then, but it's raining today.

Also, in response to the person who said that people ought to get the guidebook, I do have it, including the newest edition, and I use it all the time. But sometimes it's helpful to ask someone who's made a particular hike.

This is a common question precisely because it's not the kind of thing that is easily answered in a guidebook.

My impression is that Huntington doesn't dry out quickly, but I've never gone up right after a rain storm.

Hi Paul...

The worst of the ledges in there don't normally hold water for long, but it all depends on how warm it is and when it stopped raining. The picture Dave posted is really the only tough spot. If the sun is out, I would expect it to be dry enough. Even if it is a little wet, you could get by with a couple cautious steps and extra effort at finding handholds. They don't call it the toughest trail in the White Mountains for nothing!

P.S. You didn't ask a simple question such as "Is Huntington's Ravine steep?" That guidebook post was not directed anywhere close to you. Enjoy your hike.

HR faces south east so it dries out quickly.

One october afternoon I drove by and saw HR was all icy so I cancelled my hike the next day. The next morning about 9:30 I drove by and it was good, I think the part in Daves picture was a little wet but I jammed my sneakers in a v groove and made it. I hike in the rain all the time so ymmv.

grog

Sorry to tack on to this thread, but I am also thinking about climbing the Huntington Ravine Trail, (probably later this summer.)

From Dave's picture, the smoothness reminds a bit of the Tripyramid North Slide or the Holt Trail on Cardigan. I have been up both of those (and King Ravine). Any thoughts on how these trails compare to the HRT?

Thanks,
Chipc

chipc said:
From Dave's picture, the smoothness reminds a bit of the Tripyramid North Slide or the Holt Trail on Cardigan. I have been up both of those (and King Ravine). Any thoughts on how these trails compare to the HRT?

Some of the smoother pitches on the bottom part of the North Slide trail (before the slide opens up) are very similar to the stuff you encounter on Huntington's headwall (IMHO). The only difference is more exposure, and that first slab (in Dave's picture) is longer than any of the pitches on the North Slide (but there are plenty of handholds on the right side).

^MtnMike^

chipc said:
Sorry to tack on to this thread, but I am also thinking about climbing the Huntington Ravine Trail, (probably later this summer.)

Thanks,
Chipc
I have only done King Ravine - but I can say there is more loose rock and not any real slabs on KR - it is just unbelievably steep. Does not seem as exposed, not any real fear of falling off the mountain. There is a monsterous steep slab near the top, but the trail passes to the left of it. Some of the lower parts after the Subway, and even before, contain massive boulders that need to be negotiated. People generally seem to feel the exposure on HR is worse than KR.

IIRC (it has been a number of years since I have done this route), there is a low (1-2ft) wall just to the right of the most difficult section. There is a crack where the wall meets the slab--you can fit your fingers in the crack, lean back on your hands and walk right up.

In rock climber's jargon, there is an inside corner on the right with a layback crack at the back.

Doug

Thanks Doug, MtnMike and sapblatt..

sapblatt said:
I have only done King Ravine - but I can say there is more loose rock and not any real slabs on KR - it is just unbelievably steep. Does not seem as exposed, not any real fear of falling off the mountain. There is a monsterous steep slab near the top, but the trail passes to the left of it. Some of the lower parts after the Subway, and even before, contain massive boulders that need to be negotiated. People generally seem to feel the exposure on HR is worse than KR.

That's also my feeling comparing KR to Holt or North Tripyramid. A lot of rocks and steepness on KR, but nothing that made me uncomfortable.

The first time I did HR I was a little nervous, but I've done it 4 more times and I really enjoy it.

I tried to do the north slide on tripyramid, but I turned around. There was one spot I tried 3 or 4 times but it was too smooth and steep for me to get up it. That's the first trail I'm going to do in the white mountains this year.

grog

DougPaul said:
IIRC (it has been a number of years since I have done this route), there is a low (1-2ft) wall just to the right of the most difficult section. There is a crack where the wall meets the slab--you can fit your fingers in the crack, lean back on your hands and walk right up.

In rock climber's jargon, there is an inside corner on the right with a layback crack at the back.

Doug

What he said. We took a lot of time on the hike to look at the views and take pics (of course). It was well worth it. Probably one of my top three hikes in NH.

Seeker aka Brenda

This October 8th will be the 30th anniversary of my one and only trip through Huntington Ravine. My friend and I went down it. One of the parts I remember was a large slab that had water running from underneath it. It made me nervous that perhaps the entire rock I was crabbing upon was not really attached to the mountain, and was going to start tobogganing at any moment.

I also recall another large rock we walked on that shifted under our weight, pitching us each slightly forward. I was behind Bob when it happened to him. I heard a low-pitched scraping sound and feared the worst, but he managed to grab a tree and catch himself.

Hmm. Thirty years. May be time to return.

Done it a couple times in mid-winter when I chickened out from doing the short ice pitch in Central Gully solo. The lower slabs were covered in snow, and above that was pretty easy. That kind of tells you that above the first slabs it is easy going.
Near the top, notice Diagonal Gully to your right. In the winter it is full. On my winter hikes, I just walked out on that, and tromped up like a staircase.

Finally made the climb

I finally made the climb up Huntington Ravine yesterday. The weather was sunny and hot and the ledges were dry except for a few spots where water was trickling down.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I did bring my rock climbing shoes which I changed into right after leaving the fan and before the first smooth slab. I was glad I had them because my hiking boots are starting to wear down and tend to be a little slick if they get the least bit damp.

I had no problem with any exposure as I'm quite comfortable with heights. The first slab was not a problem with my rock climbing shoes. A couple of the pitches higher up seemed to be a little trickier, but all in all, it was a fun climb.

You were right about the comparison to King Ravine. The boulder fields in King Ravine are much more strenuous than Huntington, but Huntington has more smooth slabs.

As always, Dave's pictures were very helpful. At the top of the ravine, I continued up to the summit via the Nelson Crag Trail, and then went back down Tuckerman Ravine.

I met Mike Pelchat at the summit (he was working in the Tip-Top House), and he told me that the Tuckerman ranger had recently rescued a couple of hikers who were stuck at the top of the fan and were too afraid to go either up or down. It was their first hike up Mt Washington - bad trail choice.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.