Hikes for my future sherpa?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueblaze

Reaction score
So as some of you know my 5yr old son has finally made it home from his little vacation with his mom and is eager to hit the Whites, as well as eating those great little campfire snacks that he calls smares. Since he has been away, my focus this summer has been on the 4k's which hasnt opened my eyes to some of the smaller yet still gorgeous hikes.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has little ones out on the trails. Or even fellow hikers that know of some easy- moderate peaks with views to start creating his appreciation of this beautiful state we live in. He's pretty rugged and in my opinion can do a bit more than what I would think the average 5 yr old can do. Still want to break him in slowly though. I have found some things in books but would prefer to "hear from experience." Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We're spending the week up in Crawford Notch.

I don't have any kids, but I can suggest one AWESOME easy hike.......The Rattlesnake overlook of Squam lake in Holderness. I think its about 3/4 mile one way, few hundred feet elevation gain. The views are very cool....your high enough up off the water to give you that mountain like feel, but close enough that you can hear the boats buzzing around like little ants below. Its VERY cool for ALL ages!

Brian

I took my 5 and 6 year old neices on Mt. Cardigan, and Mt. Kearsarge (South), both have great 360 degree views,and they did pretty well. Although if I recall I ended up being the Sherpa, so don't expect him to carry much if any stuff.
The little ones are affected a lot by heat so if it is a hot day, avoid climbs and stick close to flat areas with lots of cool running water. Waterfall hikes can be pretty cool, especially if you let them explore the area.
WSC

I have fond memories of hiking the Sugarloafs (in Twin Mtn) and Mt Willard when I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

I took my 3 year old up Welch-Dickey this past Father's Day and he loved it. He needed a little help here and there but for the most part did fine on his own.

Mt. Potash trail is a nice little hike. It's not a 4K but the views are great for a moderate effort. Crossing the Downes River could be a problem with a young one depending on the time of year but there is also a route that you can take to avoid the river. It's the same trail, you just start at a point on the other side of the river, there is a parking spot and a dirt road to walk on to get to that starting point.

Right next to Potash is the UNH trail, not a nice a hike as Potash IMO but still a good hike with a young child.

This is a map of Crawford Notch and some of the immediate trails. Any luck I've had with my boys has resulted from trying to make it fun and easy, building up slowly to tougher hikes and knowing when it starts to go bad, you need to change plans quickly.
The various falls hikes should be good. The summit of Pierce and back down should be do-able, with excellent views as a reward. I'd skip the Mizpah Spring hut detour as the trail between Pierce and there is pretty tough for short legs.

In Evan's Notch you have The Roost. About a half-mile steepish climb to a view (have to down climb for the view on a spur path) and then about 0.7 mile more gradual descent with less than a mile roadwalk in between the two trailheads. You get views, streams, old cellar holes (especially along the roadwalk) a campground and a nice suspension bridge across the wild river along the route.

Further up Evan's Notch is East Royce. It's longer and steeper than the Roost but even better views and more ledges up high. You have a couple nice stream crossings lower down that should not be difficult but add interest to the hike. Up top you can follow a fairly clear herd path to an alternate summit (I don't know if this or the first is higher). This is usually done as an out-and-back although you can fashion a loop with the Laughing Lion trail. It is a steep descent to Rt113 and you'll have about a mile roadwalk over the height of land.

Further south in Evan's Notch I can recommend a loop over Blueberry Mtn via the Stone House and White Cairn Trails. This route takes you by Rattlesnake Flume (short spur to a small gorge and nice swimming hole) up to the summit with good blueberries in season and great views anytime. There is a short loop on top that should not be missed. The hike down White Cairn takes you over some ledges, not horrendously steep but some scrambling and great views as you descend.

-vegematic

The trails mentioned in Evan's Notch are all great, but aren't they currently inaccessible from the north due to the bridge washout?

East Royce is a nice sporty climb, no flat runouts, and the best view is obtained by following herd paths from the east facing ledges to the expansive western views over the Carters and Washington.

Without doubt, as previously suggested, Middle Sugarloaf from Zealand Road is the hands down the winner of most view for least effort in Whites. Just be sure to watch him close when you pop out on the ledges. Added treat of MANY blueberries on the ledges... ;)

No particular hike suggestions, but my memories from when my guys were little, was that the hike was only a piece. Camping.... a special desert... Things along the hike... berries... frogs...funny shaped trees and rocks... Don't think 'hike' the way adults do. Think of the day(s).

Blueblaze said:
He's pretty rugged and in my opinion can do a bit more than what I would think the average 5 yr old can do.
Kids that size/age can do a lot more than we usually think. I know a couple kids who climbed to the East Royce summit at age 4, with no difficulty. Also hiked from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond.

The trick was to make it fun. In this case, we took a "break" at each stream crossing (there are quite a few on the East Royce trail) and ate M&Ms. The little ones burn calories quickly and need frequent refueling. We also stopped often to look at plants, flowers, bugs, rocks, etc. You should have seen the looks of pride on their faces when they topped out at the summit to the shocked admiration of the adults there. ;)

Trip

Thanks so much everyone! Was able to fill my book full of great ideas. I'll have to let you know how he does! Enjoy your weekend!

Mad Townie said:
Kids that size/age can do a lot more than we usually think. I know a couple kids who climbed to the East Royce summit at age 4, with no difficulty. Also hiked from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond.

The trick was to make it fun. In this case, we took a "break" at each stream crossing (there are quite a few on the East Royce trail) and ate M&Ms. The little ones burn calories quickly and need frequent refueling. We also stopped often to look at plants, flowers, bugs, rocks, etc. You should have seen the looks of pride on their faces when they topped out at the summit to the shocked admiration of the adults there. ;)

I agree with this. As a 4-year old, I was "dragged" up the old Flume Slide Trail. I was carried in spots, but for the most part hoofed it. I went with my parents, and two older brothers. My younger brother did Washington up Jewel Trail as a 6-year old. The key is having older brothers who threaten to leave you. You'd do anything to stay with them!

Mad Townie said:
I "hiked" Grinnell Glacier (http://www.bigskyfishing.com/National_parks/glacier/grinnell_glacier_trail.shtm) (12mi rt, 1600 vert ft) when I was 3. I suspect that I had some help...

I don't remember if it was fun, but I do remember the view down a crevasse, one of about 3 memories that I can trace back that far (all from the trip out west). I am still hiking, so I must not have been too traumatized... :)

Doug