Full Frontal Foliage: Poison Ivy's 48th!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
It was cloudy and blustery, with only a few patches of blue sky poking through from time to time, but it was a great day nonetheless as Poison Ivy notched off her NH48th!

Check out the shots here: Alpinista's Webshots

I'm so glad I didn't just turn over and pull the covers over me when I saw how rainy it was outside yesterday morning. It was an awesome trip. Congrats, Amy! :D

alpinista said:
It was cloudy and blustery, with only a few patches of blue sky poking through from time to time, but it was a great day nonetheless as Poison Ivy notched off her NH48th!

Check out the shots here: Alpinista's Webshots

I'm so glad I didn't just turn over and pull the covers over me when I saw how rainy it was outside yesterday morning. It was an awesome trip. Congrats, Amy! :D

Poison Ivy: Congrats! We were just there a few weeks ago! It's a great place to finish!

Alpinista: Cool pics! I see Harry K was there with his most serious faces!
:D

HarryK: I see the beer was provided, and altered suitably for the event, just like ours! Good job! Maybe we should call you Sherpa-B! :D

Here is a pic of the 4 of us who finished the 115's together (standing), with 3 other shady characters from vftt.

http://viewsandbrews.com/gangof7.jpg

Yup! A great day out. Congratulations again Ivy!!!

The forecasted 'rain later' threatened but only gave us a spatter late on the hike out. Enough to have us put on tops only to stop as abruptly. Go figure.

I figured to smiley ballon would make Ivy's pack lighter... but perhaps the carabiner attaching it offset any benefit :)

Karen and I were bringing up the rear as usual and Karen was beat by the slog up the Mile O'Birch with all its nasty lumpy rocks. With time running late we decided not to go further than the Ridge. We set up out nifty trpod seats and had some munchies. We spotted Ivy's smiley balloon bobbing on the tower and we cheered and applauded from out vantage point :)

Although cloudy there were views to be had and Carrigain is the place for views. Karen was knocked out by the views form the ridge alone. The view across the notch to Lowell, with its scarred face, and beyond to the presidentials is stunning. I was very pleased that Ivy was lucky enough to enjoy the sights for her 48th.

I'll have some pics up later tonight. Speaking of pics... Alpinista - The pic of me crossing Carrigain Brook - I can accept the red face, but where did that belly come from :eek: Must be a trick of the light or PhotoShop :rolleyes:

Yay Ivy!

Bob

HikerBob ... Didn't you tell me you had another smiley face balloon tucked there under your shirt??? ;)

Saturday turned out to be a wonderful day to finish my 48... & it was made all the more special by the great group of friends who agreed to come with me! My pictures are

here

It poured on and off during as Dave and I drove the four hours to New Hampshire Saturday morning, but the weather forecasters kept saying it would be a beautiful day, so I was hopeful they‘d be right. We arrived at the Signal Ridge trailhead to find skies clearing and HarryK packing the supplies needed to make a “beer run” to the summit. Soon after, HikerBob and Karen pulled in, bearing the smiley-faced balloon (here after known as “Guy Smiley”) that I attached to my pack, hoping to make it lighter for the 10-mile roundtrip hike. It was fun to have, especially on the way down because I got to tell everyone on the trail that I was finishing the 48. Alpinista arrived minutes later and by 9:15 a.m. we were heading up the trail.

We briefly discussed just bushwhack around the first stream crossing but decided to just try it. Whiteface Brook was rushing fairly quickly due to the overnight rains. Harry and Dave made it across without too much trouble but the shorter-legged of the group had difficulty making the rock hop. Harry dutifully attempted to make it easier for us by tossing some large rocks into the stream as additional steps, but the water was going so fast it was a little scary. Though Alpinista made it across there, HikerBob, Karen & I made the crossing a little upstream. Just after crossing, a tree branch snapped the string holding Guy Smiley to my pack and the balloon floated up into a tree. Dave managed to reach it with his trekking poles and we reattached it to the pack. Fortunately, all of the other brook crossings were much easier and some of the areas that were rushing with water the last time HikerBob was in the area were completely dry.

The first 1.7 miles of the hike were flat and easy, but beautiful as we passed through tunnels of orange and yellow leaves in some gorgeous displays of fall foliage. At the junction with the Carrigain Notch Trail, SteveHiker and his friend Rich caught up with us as we were chatting and preparing for steep climb up to the summit. Hiker Bob & Karen requested that we have the summit festivities even if they hadn’t arrived because they weren’t sure they would go all the way to the top or not.

The trail heads pretty steeply uphill from the junction through a gorgeous stand of birch trees. I had been told this portion of the trail was “unrelenting” and it was tougher than I expected. Our group began to split up a bit as we made our way up at varying speeds up the slope. Blue skies would occasionally appear overhead and then get swallowed again by the clouds. Every once in a while we’d get a quick peak through the trees at the sides of nearby Mt. Lowell.

Lisa & I arrived at the first viewpoint, just below Signal Ridge, to find Harry, Steve and Rich waiting for us. We decided that would be a good place to regroup because it was out of the chilly wind. As Dave came around the corner, we could instantly see he wasn’t feeling well -- he hadn’t eaten anything all day, was tired and had banged his knee on a rock . As we walked up to Signal Ridge and he saw the tower about a half-mile ahead, he decided it would be better to head back down. I took some of the weight out his pack and he headed back down, after assuring me he was tired but fine.

Lisa and & made it up to the summit and climbed up to the observation deck… to join Harry, Steve and Rich. I couldn’t believe that I had finally made it to my final peak! HarryK broke out the great La Fin Du 48 beer (which I had a heck of a time getting open) and a summit sign he made for the occasion and we took the requisite pictures. Although the skies were a little cloudy, we got a taste of the views, particularly in the direction of the Presidentials. Every once in a while, the mists would rush back over it. At 2, we decided it was time to head back down, with HarryK saying his goodbyes -- he planned to race home in order to attend a concert in Montreal (and we all want to know if you made it to the concert sans speeding ticket!)

Lisa & I arrived back at Signal Ridge to find Bob and Karen. They decided to stop at the ridge since it had the benefit of the views. There, they pulled out their comfy camp chairs and even saw me make it to the summit -- or rather they saw Guy Smiley as I climbed up the stairs and sat on the deck!

The four of us headed back down the trail together, retracing our steps and finding the going much easier on the way down. We stopped at the smiley face that SteveHiker made out of rocks (it originally said RPI) and Bob & Lisa rearranged them to read VFTT. It was pretty smooth sailing heading down the trail and we found the water levels at the brook crossings had receded enough so they didn’t cause us trouble (though Lisa waded across the toughest one rather than bothering with the rock hopping. It started to rain fairly close to the end of the hike and we all stopped to put on rain gear, so it promptly stopped. It was 5:30 p.m. when we made it out of the woods, officially ending my quest for the 48!

We finished off the hike with some rum that Lisa brought and Bob provided me with a set of pictures he brought in case the views were clouded over -- that way I could see what it looked like from the summit. (Thanks so much and they are on my mantle now with Guy Smiley still hovering over them!) Dave was feeling much better after some food and a nap so we all headed to Truant’s for dinner.

This year has been a grand adventure…I started my 48 in July 2002 and hiked 38 this year… (though four of those were repeats.) I just want to say one more time how thankful I am for VFTT… it means so much to know there are other people who there who share my love of hiking! Thanks to Dave, Harry, Lisa, Bob, Karen, Steve & Rich for making the hike so special!

--Ivy

Last edited:
Great pics Ivy :) If you zoom in on #11 you might even see Karen and me applauding from our comfy seats on the ridge :D

Harry - how could I have forgotten to thank you for the beer! It will be a nice treat for this evening and I'll raise a glass to Ivy, the gang from Saturday and the whole VFTT family who I am sure were there in spirit if not body.

Alpinista - yeah, spare ballooon! Of course ;)

Bob

That was Rich, one of my coworkers. He goes hiking about once a month.

I would llike to know who spelled out RPI with the stones. I'm class of '93, so I thought it was cool. When I got back somebody had made a peace symbol out of the stones. I thought that a smiley face was more appropriate for the day. I wonder where I got that idea...

That is SO awesome, Amy!!!! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations on your 48th... and the 47 before... and what ever comes next.... AT thru-hike perhaps??? :D

Steve -- Thanks! I felt so guilty not knowing his name!

Peri -- Next up, I start counting those NE 67 -- I already have 52 done. Luckily that will coincide with my plan to finish the AT in Maine next year as well. An AT thru-hike would be wonderful... if only the money fairy would come and leave me a big donation to fund it! :)

Alpinista -- Your pictures were terrific. I stole several of them :)

-- Ivy

Ivy, congratulations on completeing your 48! Glad you had a great group of friends along, took some pix and that you were able to catch some views.

poison ivy said:
An AT thru-hike would be wonderful... if only the money fairy would come and leave me a big donation to fund it! :)

I'll keep it in mind if the Money Fairy ever graces me with her presence. Maybe I can I hire you as a hiking buddy in that case? :)

Best of luck on the 67. I know you can do it and enjoy the accomplishment!

#48nh

Way to go Ivy! Congratulations. It's sure a great feeling to reach that goal. And you can always count on harryK for good beer and a nice summit sign! -ALGonquin Bob

Another 48er!!!!

Congratulations Amy...great work and great hiking...see you on the trails!