1966 White Mountain Guide?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Don't know how rare this book is but I saw one at a used book store nearby. Its yellow and has some pull out maps, but looks like it might be missing the maps that come in the covers. Let me know if anyone would like it.

Also saw a Freedom of The Hills 1st Edition!! That one I might have to snag just because...

cbcbd said:
Also saw a Freedom of The Hills 1st Edition!! That one I might have to snag just because...
Some early editions doesn't contain the chapter on winter 4k which first appeared in some later edition, and may be the most interesting one to New Englanders.

Most of the maps in the WMG 1966 edition were glued in and not loose, there should be a map list in the front somewhere.

Ok, it is spoken for at the moment.

As for Freedom of the Hills... yeah, I'm going to pick it up. They also had the 3rd and 5th editions there.

The '66 WMG has two maps tucked inside the front-cover pouch, two maps tucked inside the back-cover pouch, and four maps glued onto pages through the book. Section 21 is "Mt. Washington Range in Winter." I was lucky enough to snag a copy on Amazon.com or Ebay last year and have enjoyed perusing it immensely. But, for me, having the full set of maps is important.

cbcbd said:
I found one a couple of years ago at The Mountain Wanderer, and even though I am not a climber I quickly bought it. Fascinating how gear and techniques have changed over the years!!!

[OOPS]Looked at it again, and alas it is the second edition, not the first as I had been imagining since I bought it. Still a great book.[/OOPS]

Last edited:
TEO said:
The '66 WMG has two maps tucked inside the front-cover pouch, two maps tucked inside the back-cover pouch, and four maps glued onto pages through the book. Section 21 is "Mt. Washington Range in Winter." I was lucky enough to snag a copy on Amazon.com or Ebay last year and have enjoyed perusing it immensely. But, for me, having the full set of maps is important.
Yep, this one had the 4 glued maps but I believe were missing the front and back cover pouch maps.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I found one a couple of years ago at The Mountain Wanderer, and even though I am not a climber I quickly bought it. Fascinating how gear and techniques have changed over the years!!!

[OOPS]Looked at it again, and alas it is the second edition, not the first as I had been imagining since I bought it. Still a great book.[/OOPS]
Some books it is just good to have even though they are outdated... good fun. Although I have to say that Yvon Chouinard's "Climbing Ice" still has a lot of techniques that still are and should be used.

cbcbd said:
Yep, this one had the 4 glued maps but I believe were missing the front and back cover pouch maps.

The glued-in maps are: (1) Monadnock, (2) Cardigan, (3) Waterville, & (8) Pilot Range.

The so-called pouch maps are: (4) Chocorua, (5) Franconia, (6) Washington Range, & (7) Carter-Mahoosuc.

Also contained are three maps printed on pages of the Guide: "Landmarks on Mt. Washington," "The Wapack Trail," & "AMC Huts (Sketch)."

Thanks Doug,
The book showed up yesterday. It's in great shape, the maps are better than most of my others.
(I even made myself some espresso while I read it!)

Bob

REK said:
Thanks Doug,
The book showed up yesterday. It's in great shape, the maps are better than most of my others.
(I even made myself some espresso while I read it!)

Bob
Excellent, I was hoping it would be getting there soon and I'm glad the condition is good. Enjoy!! :)

That was the first AMC guide I used. It was my mother's and one of the few pieces of equipment I ever lost in the mountains. '70 or 71 I left it in the eves at the Liberty Springs Shelter.