2nd easiest 4000 footer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LscotB

Reaction score
The AMC Guide says that the Edmands Path is the easiest hike to a 4000 foot peak. If so, what are some of the other easier hikes to a 4000 foot peak?

The AMC Guide says that the Edmands Path is the easiest hike to a 4000 foot peak. If so, what are some of the other easier hikes to a 4000 foot peak?

I would add Mt Field to the list ME has, it (and many of his others) are definitely easier than Edmands Path in most conditions

I'd have to say Hale by the Firewarden's trail . It's never steep or rocky, and with the foliage peaking , now would be a great time to do it . Yes, I know it's not an " official " trail, but IMHO it should be .

Dave

Galehead isn't too bad. And you are guaranteed a good sheltered resting spot in the Hut porch year-round.

Mo's list should cover it, it's been a while since I've looked at his list.

I'd have Pierce, Tom, Waumbek, Hale (by Hale brook), & Osceola on my list too. (Assuming not in winter)

Tecumseh is not a long hike so you might have it on some people's easy list & Garfield is 10 miles but as mentioned, it's not steep, it does get steeper near the top on Garfeild Ridge.

Gorge Brook to Moosilauke is not bad either. Is Edmands easier than the Crawford path to Pierce? I don't know, but I'd say it's the easiest trail to the ridgeline north of Pierce in the Presidentials.

Other than the stream crossings, I thought N Twin was one of my easiest, and the views were great. Some of "easy vs hard" depends on what you find challenging, too. I found Osceola to be tougher than I had heard, because of the rockiness of the footway- kind of ankle-turning at times.

Benton Trail to Moosilauke pretty easy going and offers better footing IMO than Osceola or Edmunds..a carpet of pine needles most of the way..what's not to like??

Waumbeck is the easiest 4K I've done (haven't gotten to Tecumseh yet, though.)

Hale is also pretty easy.

Zealand is also easy, but it's an awful long way to go for no view. I'd combine it with something else. As I recall, the trail gets much rougher as one heads to Guyot.

The AMC Guide says that the Edmands Path is the easiest hike to a 4000 foot peak.

I would add Mt Field to the list ME has, it (and many of his others) are definitely easier than Edmands Path in most conditions.

It is difficult to define "easy" (I have attempted to do so here), but there are definitely many trails that are "easier" than Edmands Path plus the Mount Eisenhower Loop.

The WMG does not claim that Edmands Path is the easiest hike to a 4K. There is a long paragraph praising J. Rayner Edmands (some WMG editor must have been a big Edmands fan, as this praise is repeated for almost all his trails). It ends with the following:
... the trail retains what is probably the probably the easiest grade and footing of any comparable trail in the White Mountains. It is almost always comfortable, and almost never challenging.
This claim can be made for several other trails.

Benton Trail to Moosilauke pretty easy going and offers better footing IMO than Osceola or Edmunds..a carpet of pine needles most of the way..what's not to like??

Another Moosilauke trail -- Gorge Brook -- is a gem. Much of it is gentle and a good portion of it features beautifully cut steps (easy footing).

I'm convinced the Alumni at DOC make the Freshman groom the Moosilauke trails with levels for the steps & toothbrushes to get rid of debris!

Fess up Dave!

Edmands is nicely graded - I also find Tom to be very easy, Field, Garfield, North Twin, Middle Carter via Imp and North Carter, Carter Dome...
"Easiest" is a combination of good footway, low elevation gain, and short distance - all of the above after Tom and Field are 9+ miles and definitely harder than those in the 5-6 mile category such as Tecumseh and Hale