4000 Footer Club Award dinner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jarhead said:
You people actually send money in for silly patches,certificates, or awards?

I think it may be time to open the lid and let some contents fill your jar. :cool:

Nevermind the jar ... open the *growler*.

I'd definitely be up for an after-gathering, and the brewery in Portsmouth is certainly a fine location.

MichaelJ said:
I'd definitely be up for an after-gathering, and the brewery in Portsmouth is certainly a fine location.

There are many possibilities in Portsmouth, including Fat Belly's (across the street from the Brewery), or Molly Malone's, or Muddy River, or (if you want a really "interesting" experience with some local color) there's always the Daniel Street Saloon :eek: .

jarhead said:
Gosh, I hope you all get your pretty patches! Yay! Maybe the mall walkers could create a VFTM site, join and get a patch every time you lap the Orange Julius stand. Hiking is just walking. Enjoy it for that, why are some you worried about patch availability, or hiking veteran status, who cares. Lets get back to talking about trails,equipment, etc. For the guy who made the jarhead reference, a jarhead is a term to describe a US Marine. As a recently retired Marine, I enjoyed and am proud of my service. I certainly did not stay enlisted for over twenty years for awards or patches. Have fun,stay motivated, ooh rah, get some.
Semper fidelis,
Gunny
I may be a non-list/patch person but I think its about motivation, community and accomplishment for people. People view completing the 48 as an accomplishment for themselves. Almost anyone in decent physical shape can do it but it's still something you have to work for.

We appreciate your service to the country in the Marines, but weren't there any ceremonial aspects of the Marines that, to the outsider may have seemed silly or trite, but to the insider were quite important?

-Dr. Wu

How does BRUTUS get his patch???
Does he attend the banquet and well he should!
Does he get something special to eat...like tenderloin?
It just wouldn't seem right if he were no included in the festivities!!!

Portsmouth, ten miles away, has at least twenty motels, some inexpensive, and the capacious Red Hook Brewery in adjacent Newington has vats of suds.

So far, there is a pre-dinner hike at Pawtuckaway state park in Raymond, NH. I am goi

Sherpa, Tom and Dawn, what time would you meet for the hike on Saturday morning? We're looking to hike but have to drive from NY, 3.75hrs or arrive the night before. Count us in for the party afterwards. Phil and Bonnie

Party on, dudes!

Flipsbliss said:
Sherpa, Tom and Dawn, what time would you meet for the hike on Saturday morning? We're looking to hike but have to drive from NY, 3.75hrs or arrive the night before. Count us in for the party afterwards. Phil and Bonnie

Phil, (and Bonnie, and Dawn), at this point, I don't think I'll be hiking Saturday, but that might change. I've only booked 1 night (Saturday) at the Motel 6.

I'm glad all 4 of us are going to be there. We hiked a lot of peaks together, and finished together, so it's fitting that we all get our certificates/awards/patches/scrolls/whatevers together.

I'll try to keep my shirt on for the pictures this time! :D

Sherpa John, any update on the 'Brewery party' idea ?

I do the old Pawtuckaway shuffle every April (snow's gone, trails good), and have had no trouble taking the dirt roads in, heading east on Reservation Road from rte. 107. There's room for several cars at the trail up South Peak. A nice loop is to head up South Peak to the tower, follow the trail north, down past Round Pond, up beside the cliffs (where there will be technical climbers), past the boulder erratics, to the north end up North Peak, up & over North, down its south end, and bushwhacking east over Middle Peak to the parking spot. The loop is about the same effort as Welch-Dickey in the Whites. I'll be there!

I am in for the Pawtuckaway hike. You say it is 9+ miles. That for me means 6 hours hiking time (including rest stops). Can we start Saturday 4/16 at the latest 9 AM, but earlier I would prefer. Let me know where to meet and detailed directions from the Raymond (exit 5) off of NH 101. Looking forward to seeing you all at the Saturday activities: Hike, dinner, awards, party! Sunday, I head home.

I'll have complete plans posted in a new thread by the end of this coming weekend for the Pawtuckaway Hike and After Brew.

You can buy them whenever you want.

SCROLLs however are given out once a year in April unless your name is Jeb Bradley.

Sherpa John said:
SCROLLs however are given out once a year in April unless your name is Jeb Bradley.

Actually, scrolls are also awarded on per instance occassion when one chooses not to (or cannot) attend the dinner. When I got mine, I received it in the mail b/c I was unable to attend the dinner. and I still have not been to any of the dinners...

spencer

Bradley does not have a scroll

Sherpa John said:
You can buy them whenever you want.

To clarify: Bradley does not have an official 4000-Footer Club scroll. What he received was a certificate of recognition made up by someone at Joy St. (AMC HQ). This document has not been seen or condoned much less signed by any member of the Committee.
The confusion comes from a poor choice of words by the author of the article (in AMC Outdoors, possibly elsewhere). Since it was presented by an AMC bigwig that apparently made it seem 'official'. Although it may have been *an* official certificate, it was definitely not *the* official scroll.
We have talked with people at Joy St. and hopefully this will not happen again (or at least they will be more careful about how they describe their special piece of paper).

Mailing of scrolls

spencer said:
Actually, scrolls are also awarded on per instance occassion when one chooses not to (or cannot) attend the dinner. When I got mine, I received it in the mail b/c I was unable to attend the dinner. and I still have not been to any of the dinners...

spencer

Standard procedure is to bring all of the scrolls to the awards ceremony. Those that are not picked up that evening are mailed out in the next few days.
Regardless of whether you made a reservation of any kind, if you are expecting to receive an award, remember to check in at the table when you arrive so your envelope goes into the pile that goes up to the stage. We only read the names of those people who check in and let us know that they are present. (Even those who send reservations sometimes bail at the last minute and we want to allow as much time as possible for those that *are* in attendance.)

Eric

Check's in the mail

I got my ticket, but they never cashed my check. It's getting close now, I can almost taste that pizza! :D