A Quick Hike To Isolation, 2/11/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 11, 2012: Isolation

Trails: Rock Branch Trail, Engine Hill Bushwhack, Isolation Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur

Summits: Isolation

Hikers: Larry Donoghue, Dave Langley (and Kody), Fitz, Brian Tausendfreund, John ?, Ankush Sachdeva, Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Our Plan A for the day was a hike in The Presidentials but the weather forecast made that a bad idea. Plan B was a hike to Isolation and that became our target for the day. We had a quick run to Isolation. It was the fastest I’ve ever done.

We all met at the Rocky Branch trailhead for a 7:30am start. While we were taking care of final hike prep Madriver pulled in, and then Brian and Greg. They were planning to start out roughly thirty minutes behind us. After a brief visit we took off.

Right from the trailhead we were on light traction. The trail is such that we probably could have bare booted the whole hike but we used the traction, just in case. I don’t see how the trail could get any better than its current condition. The surface is hard with great traction and very little ice. Even the Engine Hill Bushwhack is clear sailing as it cruises through the birch glade and heads for Isolation Trail.

The group had people with varying ideal hike speeds. Consequently, those up front stopped occasionally to wait for us slow pokes in the back. It’s good to generally keep the group together and the re-group stops worked well for refreshment breaks as well. As we made our way to the height of land on Engine Hill a couple others that we saw at the trailhead (John and Ankush) caught us and agreed to hike along with the group. Soon, we were on the ridge and headed to the west side and the Engine Hill Bushwhack.

The bushwhack route was broken out by Larry Donoghue, Jason Berard and Bruce Richards (aka Brewster). Recently (January 28), the three set off for Isolation but found the trail and bushwhack unbroken. After spending a lot of time breaking out the route along Rocky Branch Ridge they landed on Isolation Trail a short distance below the fourth crossing. At that point, with roughly 2.2 miles more of trail breaking ahead of them, it was too late in the day to continue to Isolation. They u-turned and headed back. The route they broke out is a good one; It leaves Rocky Branch Trail high on Engine Hill (unlike the lower route that seems preferred by some folks), it quickly leads into the large birch glade on Rocky Branch Ridge, generally follows the glade toward Isolation trail holding roughly 3300 feet in elevation for much of the distance, and lands on Isolation Trail roughly a quarter mile or less below the fourth crossing. I’d guess this route saves roughly 1.3 miles each way and a total of better than 500 feet in elevation compared to the trails route. Well done – you guys nailed it!

After the bushwhack we had an easy walk to Davis Path. The “winter” approach to Davis Path is broken out and we followed it. We stopped briefly to re-group and were soon headed south to Isolation less than a mile ahead. As we made our way to the Isolation Spur there are a couple places where views are usually available to Monroe, Pierce, and Jackson. They were pretty limited on this hike due to clouds and snow. We were able to see across to Mizpah Hut and South to Jackson; Pierce and the terrain to the north were socked in.

The Isolation Spur can get a little icy in the course of winter and become crampon territory. That’s not the case right now. We made the turn and just walked to the summit; it’s a steep walk, but we needed nothing beyond the light traction to make the trip.

The views from Isolation can be outstanding but the conditions didn’t allow it on this hike. We had refreshment, got a few summit pictures, and headed back out the way we hiked in. A short distance after leaving the summit area we met Brian and Greg on their climb to Isolation. A while later we met MadRiver and Pam.

Our hike out was a quick one. When we got back into the bushwhack the clouds broke up a little and we enjoyed sunny conditions while passing through the glade. That’s a beautiful place. Soon we were back on Rocky Branch Trail and making the downhill run to the trailhead. Between a couple of the re-group stops we had on our final descent to the trailhead, I was walking along and suddenly heard singing. At first it didn’t register. Then, I thought – Dave is behind me and Dave doesn’t sing when he hikes. Then I realized Brian sings when he hikes. I knew they were there and just stepped to the side. Sure enough, Brian and Greg were right on my heels. They zipped past on their exit run. Funny!

Every prior time Sue and I hiked Isolation when there was snow on the ground the hike ended in the dark. This time through we all hit the trailhead lot mid afternoon with at least a couple hours of daylight left. A trail that’s like a sidewalk sure makes for fast travel.

Thanks to everybody for a great hike to Isolation; that was a nice Plan B. And, thanks to Larry, Jason, and Bruce for doing a terrific job breaking out the Engine Hill Bushwhack.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Last edited:
Nice! It's been a speedy-trail 2012 so far(mostly!)

I'm glad to hear you liked the 'whack route Larry, Brewster and I laid down a few weeks ago. If we had stayed at the elevation we were at a bit longer, we would have come right out at the last crossing, but we knew we were turning around, so we just cut straight downhill at the end to get to the trail as quick as we could, since we knew that would be faster than simply turning around.

I'm also glad Larry got to Isolation! Now he has 3 peaks left, I believe for his W48!:D:cool:

Great to meet you Earl, Sue, and everyone, however briefly. I hope to join you guys one of these days! Loved your pics, much better than mine. Our group had a nice time too and the trail was amazing. I second the kudos to those that broke out the bushwhack. What a difference from January where a group I was with failed to make the summit.

Another great trip for you and the crew! Nice to see a few more of my friends - John Williams and Ankush could join the fun.

Great TR, Earl. Sounds like it was a stellar hike. Kody is a BEAUTIFUL Golden Retriever and apparently was quite the seagull, trying to con everyone for treats on the summit. :)

Keep on hiking my friend!

Marty

Sounds like it was a great day with great conditions! I opted for the shorter drive yesterday morning and hiked Owl's Head......not sure my feet are thanking me today, but it was a breeze with the hard-packed condtions and 2 bushwacks......I'd say easier than summer! It feels like cheating this winter! Anyway, glad you guys had a great day!

Nice! It's been a speedy-trail 2012 so far(mostly!)

I'm glad to hear you liked the 'whack route Larry, Brewster and I laid down a few weeks ago. If we had stayed at the elevation we were at a bit longer, we would have come right out at the last crossing, but we knew we were turning around, so we just cut straight downhill at the end to get to the trail as quick as we could, since we knew that would be faster than simply turning around.
..……..
You guys did a great job. I agree, you were right on track to hit the fourth crossing. Let’s hope the area gets enough traffic to keep this route open for the remainder of the season.

Great to meet you Earl, Sue, and everyone, however briefly. I hope to join you guys one of these days! Loved your pics,
……..
Thanks Pam.

It was good to meet you as well. I hope you can join us somewhere along the way.

;)

Another great trip for you and the crew! Nice to see a few more of my friends - John Williams and Ankush could join the fun.
Thanks Summerset,

I knew it began with John but didn’t know how it ended. Now I know John’s full name. My social skills could stand some upgrading but with a little help from my friends I’ll keep things straight.

:cool:

Great TR, Earl. Sounds like it was a stellar hike. Kody is a BEAUTIFUL Golden Retriever and apparently was quite the seagull, trying to con everyone for treats on the summit. :)

Keep on hiking my friend!

Marty
Thanks Marty,

You’re right; it was a good run to Isolation.

The first time we met Kody was on Blueberry Ledge Trail between the upper Blueberry Ledge Cutoff junction and the ledges. Kody came up behind us and got friendly. In a while, Dave came along. My first words were probably something like – Hey mister, you wanna buy a dog?

Kody is terrific. You would have a tough time finding a better canine companion.

That’s funny! Seagull is probably as good a term as any.

:D

Pat, Marge, and I were lucky enough to choose 2/9 for our hike to Isolation. Not a cloud in the sky, the most beautiful glades, and an unbroken ribbon of white adorning the majestic peaks in front of us. Thanks indeed to all who went before and have helped reaffirm our mutual love of winter hiking.
I hadn't dared hope to be able to do a hike like this yet...my adrenaline is still pumping!

We enjoyed meeting Joe and Steve (the Little Brown Mushroom) from NETrailConditions, and lo and behold, Trish, Alex, and Sage, who left sled marks on some wicked steep terrain!

Sounds like red carpet treatment! Kind of a nice payback after last winter. :)

You sure are right about last winter. I recall a number of days when we came up short of our plans mainly due to trail breaking. That's not a complaint - trail breaking is part of winter hiking.

Some days were better than others - they were all good.

;)

For this year.... What a difference.

:D

You guys did a great job. I agree, you were right on track to hit the fourth crossing. Let’s hope the area gets enough traffic to keep this route open for the remainder of the season.

I got all stoked to test out the hard-packed bushwhack route so I headed to Isolation this morning (2/13/2012). The first 1.5 miles were still hard-packed and easy to follow, but the strong winds (over 100 mph on Washington) filled in portions of the trail, so I switched to snowshoes early on. I kept an eye out for the bushwhack route but couldn't find it.

I did, however, manage to follow the trails all the way to Isolation summit, so it wasn't a complete waste. There were lots of drifts, never more than 8 inches, so I had a little bit of trail breaking to do on my own. I must have asked myself a hundred times, 'is this the trail?' Anyway, it was about 13 F at top with too-strong-to-stay-long winds; clear skies, except for Washington's foggy summit.

On my return, I kept an eye out for the bushwhack route again. Approaching the height-of-land, there were two short pee spurs, then I found it! A beautiful snowshoe track in the woods. The first five feet had been completely filled in by drift, so that's why I missed it the first time. I stomped around in my snowshoes to "re-open" it. If I had more time, I would have taken it for fun and to keep it open.

Even though I had passed through just a couple hours earlier, blown snow had filled in the trail, so I couldn't even follow my own tracks out. Anyway, this is my fifth day hiking in a row in the Whites, and the first time I used snowshoes -- not because it recently snowed, just cause it was windy.

My thanks to those who preceded me. If it weren't for you, my hike would have either been very short or very long. Times were 3:30 up and 3:10 down.

I got all stoked to test out the hard-packed bushwhack route so I headed to Isolation this morning (2/13/2012). The first 1.5 miles were still hard-packed and easy to follow, but the strong winds (over 100 mph on Washington) filled in portions of the trail, so I switched to snowshoes early on. I kept an eye out for the bushwhack route but couldn't find it.

I did, however, manage to follow the trails all the way to Isolation summit, so it wasn't a complete waste. There were lots of drifts, never more than 8 inches, so I had a little bit of trail breaking to do on my own. I must have asked myself a hundred times, 'is this the trail?' Anyway, it was about 13 F at top with too-strong-to-stay-long winds; clear skies, except for Washington's foggy summit.

On my return, I kept an eye out for the bushwhack route again. Approaching the height-of-land, there were two short pee spurs, then I found it! A beautiful snowshoe track in the woods. The first five feet had been completely filled in by drift, so that's why I missed it the first time. I stomped around in my snowshoes to "re-open" it. If I had more time, I would have taken it for fun and to keep it open.

Even though I had passed through just a couple hours earlier, blown snow had filled in the trail, so I couldn't even follow my own tracks out. Anyway, this is my fifth day hiking in a row in the Whites, and the first time I used snowshoes -- not because it recently snowed, just cause it was windy.

My thanks to those who preceded me. If it weren't for you, my hike would have either been very short or very long. Times were 3:30 up and 3:10 down.

Wow! What a surprise.

I didn't realize there were more than a few periods of light snow showers in the area since Saturday afternoon. Evidently, it must have really come down Saturday night and Sunday.

That's a lot of drifting to wipe out the bushwhack route.

I didn't venture down the actual trail from either end of the bushwhack, but it appeared to me the trail wasn't tracked out at all when we went through; all traffic was leaving the trail and following the bushwhack route. That probably meant a significant amount of trail breaking for you just to get around the bushwhack.

You must have enjoyed quite a day.

I didn't realize there were more than a few periods of light snow showers in the area since Saturday afternoon. Evidently, it must have really come down Saturday night and Sunday.

That's a lot of drifting to wipe out the bushwhack route.

I think you're right the first time - there was very little new snow, maybe an inch, at higher elevations, and nothing in the valleys. And I think most of the bushwhack route is still there, but both termini happened to be in drift-prone areas and got filled in. Now I kind of wished I spent an extra hour or two to explore and compare routes; I'm curious where the other end joined the trail -- but I'm embarrassed to admit, I'm not very skilled in nighttime winter solo bushwhacking. :p